Not necessarily traditional but opinions on...

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
The_Celtic_Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Not necessarily traditional but opinions on...

Post by The_Celtic_Bard »

The Lyre, the cithira you know that instrument Orpheus played.

So any opinions on the playing of it in ITM?
Why build character when you already are one?
The_Celtic_Bard

or any non-traditional instrument in ITM
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I dunno. I was playing a CD for a friend who'd never heard ITM before (granted, it was a "supergroup" band with tight arrangements so it wasn't all that traditional, strictly speaking, even though the tunes were), and when he heard a track with flugelhorns in it, he turned to me and said, "What the hell was THAT???"

Even he could tell a poor fit when he heard one.

But who knows? Centuries hence, maybe fluglehorns will be part of the tradition. *shudder* :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The_Celtic_Bard

OH GOD HELP US ALL!!!
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

Nano: I do believe I've heard the track from the "supergroup" you refer to. I had a similar reaction. :boggle:

Per the thread: I don't know. I still can't bring myself to enjoy horns in ITM, but I've always wanted to play ITM on my ukulele. I think ITM can be played on anything with wonderful effect, just don't expect seasoned sessioners to enjoy your sense of experimentation. :lol:
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

There's a track on an early Lunasa album that uses a flugel; I think it sounds great.

I imagine Orpheus' lyre would work in Irish music about as well as uilleann pipes would work in Greek music. Why do you ask?
The_Celtic_Bard

well if a flugel works than a lyre would, it is a precursor to the guitar, and is like that of a harp, gosh darn it works
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Um...so I take it you actually have a lyre, then?

Don't they usually only have five strings or something? From a practical standpoint, no, I don't think a lyre would work unless it had around 16 strings.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The_Celtic_Bard

No my girlfriend does, and it has 13 strings. Tuned in C major or a minor if you prefer, lowest string C and highest and thirteenth string 13. A good friend of mine, lordofthestrings, did a bit fixing and tweaking on it, good guy and a genius when it comes to his work.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Whether it would "work" or not is more about the player than the instrument. The thing for you to do is to devote some time to studying Irish music and figure if there's a way you can make it happen on the cithira. I've heard Irish music played very well on a lot of nonstandard instruments, but in each case the player's understanding of the music is what made it work, not any special characteristic of the instrument. If you really make a commitment to learn to play the music on this thing -- if you take it seriously -- you might just succeed. Just don't be a dilettante.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I think there's probably any number of harp-family and zither-family instruments that could work. If they have a sound that blends well with the other instruments, and if they have the technical requirements to play in the right keys and all, then why not? Personally, I'm working with the bowed psaltery in an ITM fashion. As long as the sound isn't utterly alien to the music or doesn't mess up the other players, what the heck. I understand that the mandolin was practically unheard of in ITM until the 1960s or so, and today it's very popular.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info