Whistle ID

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Franz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle ID

Post by Franz »

I posted this link in the Youtube Thread and was wondering if anyone could identify the make of whistle he is playing. I think it is a great version of the "Lonesome Boatman".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kl-BiYhCCw
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Looks just like my Overton High D whistle from the side. Without a better view of the mouthpiece area it is difficult tell for absolutely certain.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Burke aluminum session D whistle? Looks like it has the bulge at the tuning slide (around 0:44). And sounds more like a Burke than an Overton. And I could be completely wrong. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Overton hi D. Sounds & looks totally like an Overton - and played into the third octave.

(I doubt that Burkes were even being made when this video was shot - which I think must have been the late eighties or early nineties. And the tuning bulge sits much lower on a Burke - what you are seeing at 0:40-0:50 are the characteristic squared cheeks of the Overton head.)
/Bloomfield
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Overton I think, though I wish there was a better view of the mouthpiece.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

As I said ... I could be utterly, irredeemably wrong.

It just looks like there's a collar around the tube (below the microphone head), then a gap, then the fipple/head. But maybe I'm just seeing things. The giant white rabbit standing next to me here is completely non-commital on the matter.

The tube does look like an Overton, and the head looks squarish. But the whistle sure doesn't totally sound like my Overton, which is chiffier up there in that range, especially when close-miked (one of the reasons I love it).

Of course, if there are historical reasons why it can't be a Burke, then that's that.

Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

MTGuru wrote: The tube does look like an Overton, and the head looks squarish. But the whistle sure doesn't totally sound like my Overton, which is chiffier up there in that range, especially when close-miked (one of the reasons I love it).
My Overton sounds a lot chiffier to me than to a listener, esp. when miked. I What he's playing looks like a short-beak Bernard Overton Overton, which I think tend to be a little purer in tone (that's just based on my experience with 3 or 4 of them, and with Colin's whistles). That would also make sense since Colin didn't start making Overtons before '97, iirc. I am just guessing when that video was taken, of course. And I think they have a compressor and reverb on the whistle mic.
/Bloomfield
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Bloomie, you have nearly convinced me, despite the bulge. My mind is open ... or is that empty? :wink:

peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Gotta go with Bloomfield on this one.

Holding my Overton up to the picture, I am nearly certain that is an Overton.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

MTGuru wrote:despite the bulge.
An optical contusion or a shadow, you pick. :P
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
arnie

Post by arnie »

It's an Overton. It sounds like one, most characteristic, but what's more: you can see the head in the dark and it's flattened on the sides. Most certainly Overton.