Planning to order a flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Are you planning to order a flute from a maker in the next 12 months?

Yes, likely from a US maker
24%
Yes, likely from a maker outside the US
9%
No, i'll likely be looking for a used flute
11%
No, not likely to be buying another flute in the next year
45%
Not sure
2%
Other (please specify)
9%

Total votes: 55

rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Planning to order a flute?

Post by rh »

Maybe this will help to focus one of the topics brought up in the "Dollar is toast" thread?

It might also be helpful here to elaborate a bit and specify what country you live in.

Q: Are you planning to order a flute from a maker in the next 12 months?

In my case, no. I've been looking at used 6 keyed flutes, as there have been some deals of late -- but at the moment (and likely the forseeable future) i lack the available funds. I do have some mandolins i'd consider selling, but the used instrument market in general looks pretty soft and i'd rather hang onto what i've got than dump instruments; been there, done that, felt like a fool.

I wouldn't consider myself anything more than a hobby player, i don't go to sessions, and at the moment a fully-keyed flute is more of an indulgence than i can afford. As far as keyless flutes, i have more than enough. So i would say i'm not seriously in the market right now.

I'm in the US.
Last edited by rh on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is no end to the walking
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I do some small scale buying, refurbishing and re-selling of low to medium level 2nd hand flutes - mostly antique, but sometimes by current makers. I would hope to make some advantageous purchases from the US by virtue of the present state of the exchange rates.

Direct answer to Q as stated: No - not unless I win the lottery - then, makers look out!

I'm not really in the market for brand new "maker" flutes - and if I was for personal use (rather than trade), it would be from Wilkes or Grinter most likely, with sufficiently long waiting lists that the current financial situation is scarcely a significant factor. Murray, Aebi, Olwell or McGee might feature in my wish list and buying such high level flutes, I would only be interested in fully keyed models - which puts them utterly beyond my present means so I can't even think about it, regardless of the international economic situation. I might look to buy a high level antique if certain things came up and I could scrape up the dosh! In fantasy land, I'd like a good Eb and I also fancy a low Bb and or A, but again would want fully keyed including foot joint, making it a very expensive fantasy!

I am thinking seriously about ordering a Swayne Low D whistle and I'm supposed to have a John Glenydd pibgorn on order, but that seems to be kind-of in limbo......

I'm a fairly serious long-standing player, regular session attender and semi-pro as a teacher and performer as well as a low-level dealer/restorer.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

I'm on two waiting lists. One should come up in a month or so. The other will be quite a bit longer...

Jay
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Yep. Will place the deposit in early december. Estimated wait around two years. European maker.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I voted no but not because of economic conditions.

I really need to focus on the business of learning and not on the business of buying. I've got three really good flutes already. If I cannot become a good player with these flutes, another flute isn't going to make any difference.

I cannot understand if money was a little tight why someone would sell a $1000 flute. That's not enough to pay the rent. The flute costs nothing to own. Sell the stupid gas guzzler in your driveway instead. Not only will you gain a little extra cash you'll lose a big huge continuous expense.

If someone is selling a flute because they have more than one already, then that's a good thing. They may be spreading the joy of Irish music to someone who doesn't have a flute already. Creating a possible future new flute order.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
segv

Post by segv »

Just last week, I upgraded from the plastic brick I'd been playing for a year to my first "real" flute - a keyless Grinter made in 2001. What a joy to play! I don't know what took me so long. (And big thanks to everybody here who helped me figure it all out).

The dilemma I'm facing now is that on the one hand, I know I'll be happy with this flute for some time to come, but on the other hand, I know that I'll want keys eventually. Since most makers (I'm leaning Aebi) have waiting lists for keyed flutes that are 18 Months or more, I should probably start worrying about getting on a list sooner rather than later.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I'm just a whistler so far, but I plan on ordering my first flute from Tipple in the next couple of months, so I can learn.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

segv - why don't you get really used to the Grinter............if you love it in a year, send it to a maker who will put keys on it ?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I have no plans on ordering a new flute, (of course I would just make one :twisted: )but I am always looking for a antique.. :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Denny

Re: Planning to order a flute?

Post by Denny »

rh wrote:Q: Are you planning to order a flute from a maker in the next 12 months?
Well, no....not planning to.... :D

wouldn't be the first time that he was wrong... :lol:
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I voted no. But I just got a new (to me) refurbished (by Jon) 1850's Hall & Son six-key a couple of months ago. I'm satisfied. :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Denny

Post by Denny »

dow wrote:I'm satisfied. :D
I so like those fleeting moments!
seamasL

Planning to order a flute

Post by seamasL »

I have a McGee GLP due to be delivered sometime this Spring. Six keys, made from Gidgee. It is going to be beautiful, I can hardly wait!
I have a McGee GLP keyless now, made from Gidgee. I love it!!
I would not have ever learned about Terry if it were not for this forum, it is a wonderful place to learn.
Jim
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm through with ordering flutes. I have a Rottenburgh model on order from Peter Noy, but that will definitely be it. I'll likely be selling a couple in the not too distant future.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Denny wrote:
dow wrote:I'm satisfied. :D
I so like those fleeting moments!
Dangit, Denny! Now you just stop that. I've almost got myself convinced!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.