Flute, key of what?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ofloyd

Flute, key of what?

Post by ofloyd »

I've been dealing with Doc about this topic and also wanted to hear from other members here too; other than a D flute, which other key do you find useful for playing most printed music? The keys I am deciding between are F and G and also a high Bb. I have a similar thread on the whistle forum but wanted to know for flute as well (probably not much difference, huh). Thanks all.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Low Bb or low A. But I don't play printed music.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

What is the purpose of another key for you?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I'd really like a vintage Pratten's in Eb.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

A fully keyed concert flute (simple sysytem D) will deal pretty well with most of what you meet in ITM, with due practice. Flutes in other keys are more about different sonorities than about fudging the fingering. If you are sticking to keyless, then the whistle comparison has some validity. I have used my F flute for certain specific Welsh tunes in Bb, F and C, but it came to me as a family heirloom - it wouldn't have been worth buying a decent one for the amount of that kind of use it gets (I do make other use of it for its different sound). In any case, the tessitura (range) of the tunes is usually based on that of a fiddle, so it may be easier to play the notes of the scale indicated by a key signature on an instrument in that or a closely related key, but its range may not fit well with that of the tune and you could end up doing a lot of octave shifting - and would have been better off tackling it "at pitch" on a keyed flute.

People who have low flutes in Bb or A (lucky b***ers) don't generally use them to play lots of fast Scottish reels in those keys. They play tunes normally played on D instruments, with the D fingering, because they like the sound, and rarely for any other reason.

A high Bb is a fun thing in itself, but unless you are going to busk or join a marching band, you won't get much use from it - never at a session (unless you go to French, Italian or Breton sessions) and probably not for song accompaniment because it will be too strident - you'd use a Bb whistle instead.

Don't waste your money on something you won't get much use from, certainly not until you are much more familiar with this music. If you are serious about wanting access to more keys, spend your cash on a keyed flute and learn to use it.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

If you play from printed music, you are asking for it. You will have to completely re-learn the fingering if you plan to play with anyone else. I don't understand the fascination of having flutes in other keys. The flute is in D because the music is in D, G, and the relative minors. Unless you particularly like the sound of a flute pitched higher than the D flute, it seems you are spending money needlessly.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

If you play from printed music, you are asking for it. You will have to completely re-learn the fingering if you plan to play with anyone else. I don't understand the fascination of having flutes in other keys. The flute is in D because the music is in D, G, and the relative minors. Unless you particularly like the sound of a flute pitched higher than the D flute, it seems you are spending money needlessly.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Isn't that the weird thing about flutes and whistles? The whistle player brings a bag of whistles to the session. The flute player brings usually just one flute. More if the other one has keys or the flute player is wanting to show off their flutes.
~ Diane
Cork

Re: Flute, key of what?

Post by Cork »

ofloyd wrote:I've been dealing with Doc about this topic and also wanted to hear from other members here too; other than a D flute, which other key do you find useful for playing most printed music?...
Yes, you can have your cake, and eat it, too!

As has already been posted, here, the D flute and the keys of D and G are so commonly used that a D flute becomes your primary instrument for ITM, BUT, printed music often comes in keys other than D and G.

So, with a bit of study on your part, you could learn how to transpose, from one key to another, such that you could then use printed music as a source, and by transposition turn whatever source key into a more convenient key, such as D or G, etc.

Edit: There could be one major catch, however, in that some players use printed music as a source but simply ignore the key signatures, which in essence then puts a tune into a whole 'nother key. Nothing wrong with that, really, but be prepared for such an event.
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

Very interesting replies, and thank you all. Yes, my reason for another key is for playing such tunes that are written in other keys. I guess I didn't realize that most ITM is written in the keys of D and G, which of course are both relatively accessible with the D flute. I do have my concert keyed flute but I really like the idea of keyless. My thinking on this topic was to have two mainly used keys of flutes and learn the two different fingerings to go with them and play songs in those keys. I live in an area where a session would never arise so I only have printed music to go with. Thanks again to all for you help and opinions.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

oops my bad
Last edited by rama on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

It's my understanding that this instrument, like the whistle, is always played as if the sheet music was in the keys of D or G or maybe A (and the various modes off those key signatures). You don't learn new fingering. Instead you transpose the sheet music, or just play it by ear with an instrument that has a scale that matches the pitch.

This naturally means that the keyless version of this instrument is intended for certain kinds of music and not for others.

Your best bet, if you are wanting to play the sheet music as is in keys like Bb, or if you are wanting to play some other kinds of music, is to get keys on your flute so it is more like a silver flute, which is fully chromatic.
~ Diane