Best Sounding Kit Harp??

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
springrobin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Best Sounding Kit Harp??

Post by springrobin »

We built a 22-string harp several years ago but it's range is limited. I think it was a Here, Inc. I'd like to build one with 33+ strings for more in the lower octaves and can use suggestions from some of you that have heard the bigger kit harps. Which one did you prefer? We've built a hammered dulcimer from plans & a harp from a kit so a bigger harp from a kit shouldn't be a problem.

I will probably try to sell a Z-box harpsichord I have (but didn't build myself) to fund the harp kit.
harpmaker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by harpmaker »

Because I haven't seen a harp kit for a years, I can't answer your question about which is the best, but I'll try to give you some tips.

Music Makers used to be pretty good. But if you go for one of their kits, make sure you get the right string set...they tend to be on the light side. For instance, they had (have?) a 29 string harp that uses only solid strings although it would be much better if the bottom 5 or 6 strings were wound ones instead.

Instead of just buying on online, order it over the phone and ask a lot of questions....that will help you get an idea of how the people handle questions which may pop up during the build itself.

A harp sound board, especially in the size you are talking about, is under a lot of tension (1000 lbs would not be unusal :o ) so use good quality, fresh glue, and have lots of clamps on hand.

And no matter how well the parts seem to be made, dry fit everything together before you do any gluing.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I have a better idea.....

buy one from harpmaker!!

Seriously, Dave's instruments are well made and sound fantastic. I don't play harp - but we have quite a few (10+) dulcimers made by Dave, and if you click on our website, you'll see we host Dave on it.

No financial gain and all that stuff - but if Dave is making a harp, that's one less dulcimer I need to pay him for..... :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com