conical vs. straight bore

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ofloyd

conical vs. straight bore

Post by ofloyd »

What are the differences in conical and straight bore whistles in regards to tone and playability? I have read that the Clarke Original has been termed to have the classic whistle sound. Is this because of the conical bore? Also, are the more expensive whistles with conical bores, such as Copeland, and Shaw (a couple that come to mind), known to have the same "classic" whistle characteristics? Thanks. (I know I've been asking alot of questions lately but I would like to learn as much as I can).
PallasAthena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PallasAthena »

I *think* a conical bore takes slightly less air than a comprable straight bore whistle, but I could be wrong...
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think the conical whistles are better tuned. The second octave is more "parallel" to the first.

The Clarke original and Shaw whistles take more air than do the plastic fipple cylindrical whistles that I have played.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

In general, conical whistles have a more breathy or hissy tone, where cylindrical whistles tend to have a more reedy or buzzy tone. I wouldn't say either is better than the other, it's just a matter of preference. Of course, these are just my observations and opinions.

Also, the shape of a conical whistle allows for closer finger spacing.

And I don't know if it's really the shape, but I seem to hear about conical whistles needing more air (Clarke Original and Shaw specifically).

Jason
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

The Clarke needs more air because of the large windway. A typical tweak for the Clarke is to crush the windway to make it flatter. With the flatter airway, the Clarke is less breathy and requires less air.

The conical bore can contribute to better intonation between octaves. I say "can contribute" because I have played different Copelands that were both out of tune and in tune. Same with the Clarkes.

I have played Overtons as well as Reyburns which have a cylindical bore that are spot on in tuning.

I have a Terry McGee Irish flute which has a conical bore and is in tune perfectly.

I have concluded that it is the maker that makes the biggest difference.

Still ... Cheers, Cyril.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

If I needed to stab someone and the only thing I had on hand was a whistle, I'd prefer a conical. Preferably a Copeland which would be less likely to bend.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I was told that a conical bore makes it easier for the bell note to be in tune. Don't know if that's correct, though. I have a Hudson Winds that is conical bore and it's lovely to look at and lovely to hear.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

fancypiper wrote:The Clarke original and Shaw whistles take more air than do the plastic fipple cylindrical whistles that I have played.
You're referring to the upper register, right? I find the lower register to be blown very lightly.

On this note (no punn intended), is there proof that a conical or striaght bore has a stronger low end?
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

ofloyd wrote:
fancypiper wrote:The Clarke original and Shaw whistles take more air than do the plastic fipple cylindrical whistles that I have played.
You're referring to the upper register, right? I find the lower register to be blown very lightly.

On this note (no punn intended), is there proof that a conical or striaght bore has a stronger low end?
First off, I assume you are speaking of soprano D whistles. It also seems you are interested primarilly in inexpensive whistles. Anyway, the only soprano Ds I have played that actually have a strong lower register are not cheap.

Those with the strongest bottom that I have played; in order, are Reyburns (cylindical), Overton (cylindical), Thin Weasel (cylindical), and Copeland (conical).

So I would opine that the cylindical whistles that I have played have the edge in the lower register.

The only "cheapies" that I have found to fare well are Jerry Freeman tweaked whistles; a Mellow Dog and Generation I have tried. Of all the cheapies (read dozens) I have owned over the years, the cylindical have had better low ends and required less breath.

Of course, YMMV.
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

CranberryDog wrote:
ofloyd wrote:

First off, I assume you are speaking of soprano D whistles. It also seems you are interested primarilly in inexpensive whistles. Anyway, the only soprano Ds I have played that actually have a strong lower register are not cheap.

Those with the strongest bottom that I have played; in order, are Reyburns (cylindical), Overton (cylindical), Thin Weasel (cylindical), and Copeland (conical).

So I would opine that the cylindical whistles that I have played have the edge in the lower register.

The only "cheapies" that I have found to fare well are Jerry Freeman tweaked whistles; a Mellow Dog and Generation I have tried. Of all the cheapies (read dozens) I have owned over the years, the cylindical have had better low ends and required less breath.

Of course, YMMV.
Thanks for the info. I do refer to the cheapies for now as I am still learning and very new to the whistle. Eventually I will upgrade to a more expensive model, but only after my collection of cheapies comes to an end . . . or will it ever come to an end . . .

I have yet to try the Jerry Freeman tweaks but will be sure to.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I think part of the charm of the penny whistle is that for a very few dollars one can get a very playable instrument. It is a little bit of the luck of the draw; however, if you search on "tweaks" you will be able to tweak one yourself and turn a diamond in the rough into a gem. Good luck on your quest. Cyril
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

As said before the conical bore helps balancing the octaves. For instance all recorders have a conical bore for this reason. I think that one of the best whistles on the market is the original Clarke. Simply a wonderful instrument to a very affordable price. The second octave is not flat at all and it has a wonderful breathy tone. However it takes a lot of air, but thats the only drawback, but one gets use to it after a while. I´ve got lots of recorders, flutes and whistles. Som intruments are more expensive than others, but the Clarke will always be closest to my heart! :)
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

falkbeer wrote:As said before the conical bore helps balancing the octaves. For instance all recorders have a conical bore for this reason. I think that one of the best whistles on the market is the original Clarke. Simply a wonderful instrument to a very affordable price. The second octave is not flat at all and it has a wonderful breathy tone. However it takes a lot of air, but thats the only drawback, but one gets use to it after a while. I´ve got lots of recorders, flutes and whistles. Som intruments are more expensive than others, but the Clarke will always be closest to my heart! :)
Many have mentioned that the Clarke Original takes more air than other whistles. I don't seem to have a problem with this. Then again I haven't played any other whistles and I also play flute. Could it be that I'm used to the side blown flute which requires more air??
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

ofloyd wrote:
falkbeer wrote:As said before the conical bore helps balancing the octaves. For instance all recorders have a conical bore for this reason. I think that one of the best whistles on the market is the original Clarke. Simply a wonderful instrument to a very affordable price. The second octave is not flat at all and it has a wonderful breathy tone. However it takes a lot of air, but thats the only drawback, but one gets use to it after a while. I´ve got lots of recorders, flutes and whistles. Som intruments are more expensive than others, but the Clarke will always be closest to my heart! :)
Many have mentioned that the Clarke Original takes more air than other whistles. I don't seem to have a problem with this. Then again I haven't played any other whistles and I also play flute. Could it be that I'm used to the side blown flute which requires more air??
Probably! I play the flute too, but not as much nowadays. But compared to other whistles, like Feadog, Clarke takes a lot of air. Everything is relative as Einstein said!
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: conical vs. straight bore

Post by dfernandez77 »

ofloyd wrote:What are the differences in conical and straight bore whistles in regards to tone and playability?
As there are so many different makers, the biggest difference between whistles will be based on other things than conical vs. straight bore.

The only difference across the board, in my experience, is in tone. Conical bores have an interesting open echo airy characteristic. It's a bit hard to describe actually. But if you listen to a Generation C and a Sweetone C, one right after the other, you'd pick out the tone difference I'm talking about.

I'd say that every conical bore I've owned - Meg, Sweetone, Shaw, Sweetheart Pro, Hudson Wind, Copeland - and every one I've played has at least a whisper of this characteristic.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.