Got red hair? ....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Anstapa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Got red hair? ....

Post by Anstapa »

Then your ancestors might have been Neanderthals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7062415.stm

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Actually, as the article points out, our ancestors were not Neanderthals. But it's a very interesting article. Thanks! :)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Re: Got red hair? ....

Post by jkwest »

Anstapa wrote:Then your ancestors might have been Neanderthals.

Anstapa
Awesome...and to think some scientist thinks I came from a monkey.. :wink:

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
djm

Post by djm »

Orangs have red hair. Maybe they are the connection .....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

20+ years ago I asked my Irish friend, since there aren't any snakes in Ireland, are there any dangerous species? He replied, "Only the redheads."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Anyone find it odd that the artist chose to represent the red-headed Neandertal with distinctly sub-Saharan African facial features?
Reasonable person
Walden
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

swizzlestick wrote:Actually, as the article points out, our ancestors were not Neanderthals. But it's a very interesting article. Thanks! :)

Not to contradict that article...um, well...OK, I AM contradicting it...I saw a progra on neanderthals a couple years back that discussed the fact that they and homo sapiens existed at the same time. During the last 10 minutes or so the program mentioned that a skeleton had been found which had distinct characteristics of both species. So it is possible that some of us really are related to cavemen.

(My first boyfriend comes to mind for some reason....)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:Anyone find it odd that the artist chose to represent the red-headed Neandertal with distinctly sub-Saharan African facial features?
I actually noticed that but I couldn't figure out what was odd about it. Now that you pointed it out I see it.
djm

Post by djm »

I also remember a tv show that asked that question about neanderthings. It used Lisbon as an example, citing how Lisbon's population at one time had a significantly large portion of blacks living there. There is no known history of them being killed off or deported. So where'd they go? Most likely absorbed and interbred into the local population, was the answer they gave. The suggestion was that the same could have happened with the neanderthings.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Walden wrote:Anyone find it odd that the artist chose to represent the red-headed Neandertal with distinctly sub-Saharan African facial features?
I'm not sure this is some sort of political statement, no.

Given that there are no photographs or professionally done portraits of them, the artist would be forced to rely on likenesses found in photographs he does have.

That gives him a range of choices:

1. Asian
2. Caucasian
3. Sub-Saharan African
4. Pygmy Marmoset
5. Igrok from Planet Zeta
6. Fruit

Given that biometrical measurements of Neanderthal skulls have shown a tendency toward features not found in 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 . . . well, there you are with sub-Saharan African.

Or, he could have just gone with pictures from old National Geographics.

But it certainly could serve as a focal point for controversy! :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

CountryKitty wrote:During the last 10 minutes or so the program mentioned that a skeleton had been found which had distinct characteristics of both species. So it is possible that some of us really are related to cavemen.
That's a much argued about skeleton. I believe the camp that's carrying the day is the one that says it's a juvenile neanderthal, not a hybrid.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Really? OK, that ought not surprise me I guess...after all, the reason Neanderthals are depicted as stooped over was that the first complete skeleton found was stooped in posture...it was later realized it was from an older male with either severe arthritis or back problems (I forget which).