The ideal DADGAD guitar?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Lightheaded Mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The ideal DADGAD guitar?

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

Hello all,
I've only a few months experience playing guitar, and I like DADGAD tuning. Currently I play a folk-sized, thinner bodied cheapy, that plays well when strummed with a light touch. It seems to have that transparent quality to the notes, if that's the right term. When I strum a chord, I hear fairly good note separation. It's also strong in the treble range. I'm curious about people's thoughts about whether this sort of quality is generally desired in a tuning like DADGAD, where chords may differ only by one note. Or is a boomier, thick-chord sounding guitar is still OK for this kind of tuning.

The subtext here is that I'm thinking of getting a new guitar, and I'm wondering about Dreadnought vs.shallow body, etc.
I could post this on some guitar forum, but I wanted to know from folks here who tend to play in sessions, and who know guitar well in this tradition. No interest in fingerstyle or flatpicking; strictly a rhythm thing for now
I'll play before I buy, but if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd appreciate it.
Mike
plunkett5

Post by plunkett5 »

Mike- Post your question in The Session.org. That's were the session guys hang out. It's a great site.- Mike
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Um. Don't "session guys" hang out here too? If not, what kind of guys do hang out here? Knitting guys? Philately guys? My god, have I been on the wrong forum all this time?

Mike, I like dreadnoughts for rhythm. Smaller-bodied instruments generally don't have the lower-end punch I like. My 25-year-old Guild D35 isn't the best machine for fingerstyle, but it's ideal for the style of accompaniment I play.

But your tastes are your own. Play a bunch of guitars and see what you like.
plunkett5

Post by plunkett5 »

Didn't mean to insult anyone Ro3b. I just meant that questions like this will get a ton of pretty well reasoned answers on that site, as it is read by people who are interested primarily in Irish music, which happens primarily in sessions. Sorry if I stepped on someone's toes.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

A large bodied Lowden or a D-28 are good options. Almost can't go wrong with either of them - if they are basically good guitars.
Lightheaded Mike

Thanks guys.
I read and have learned lots from reading the mustard board and have posted the odd thing. Thesession.org is like the limbic portion of my Traditional Music mind. Rash, raw, polarized. On this board I can ask a guitar question of people who presumably play flute/whistle/pipes, etc.
To my thinking, I'll get perhaps more common perspective from folks with way more experience than me with stringed instruments.
That, and I'm reluctant to start another guitar thread on thesession. :swear:
I see a lot of people at session playing OM-sized and acoustic electric guitars with a light pick and it sounds great. I also see a lot of people in jams with these Jumbos as Dreadnoughts just cranking away, so much that the guitar is all that you hear. But I agree, that extra bit more bass is nice amongst more trebly melody instruments, and if I play with the appropriate discretion there's little risk of overpowering the tunes.
A Lowden or D-28 would certainly be great; my budget will only allow me to seek a much cheaper clone :lol:
Mike
Steve L

Post by Steve L »

What kind of budget do you have to work with? A Seagull would be a good relatively inexpensive choice or a Breedlove Atlas series with a cedar top if you can go for $800-$900 or so. Best to play as many guitars as you can to see what you like and what you don't.

I wouldn't expect a lot of helpful advice about guitar purchases on the session.org.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

+1 on Seagull. Excellent bang/buck ratio.
Lightheaded Mike

My budget would just allow a Seagull (they come up for sale used a lot around here), or something in the family of the intermediate level Yamahas/Washburn/Cort and other imports.
One of Larrivee's shops is in Vancouver, and people seem to sell their Seagull/S&P guitars when they trade up to a Larrivee, to the good fortune of punters like me.
Mike
Dr Funkenstein

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

I double-dawg agree with the Seagull, although I would highly recommend saving some extra pennies for a good set-up.

If you feel like saving up a bit more or are planning ahead for an eventual step-up, start taking a look around for used (or possibly new) Martin D-15s. Or even the 000-15 or OM-15. When I was shopping for a step-up from my Sigma D-28 clone, the D-15 blew away a lot of the competition in the $700-$1000 price range. I've seen some go online for as low as $400.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bionn áthas orainn!
http://www.athasmusic.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/athas

éist!
http://cdbaby.com/cd/hullksiazek
unregulated

It's up to You

Post by unregulated »

hi Mike
pulled this from a post I made over on Celtic Guitar Talk.
You need to go there if DADGAD and similar tunings are for you loadza stuff.
The sound is down to what YOU, like to hear when YOU play your music and off course how deep your pocket is, so try well before you buy.
here’s the post

I have played and repaired all levels of acoustic guitars and have come to the conclusion that its more to do with your style / feel and the proportions of the whole (guitar) It depends on what “feels right” to you. I remember playing Tony McManus’s Kelday 000 and in my customary way assessing the instrument and thinking it was one of the best proportioned guitars I have had in my hands. To me the neck / fingerboard - string spacing (both width and length) were an extension of my hands therefore completely natural - no longer an obstacle.
The downside for me was the body size, it was to small. I tend to “mould” my body to the instrument (playing seated) and being six feet with arms like an orangatang (sp) the guitar body did’nt fit my v/bad posture. This is almost classical string layout and Tony managed full out finger style and flat picking to the highest level in DADGAD and other “Celtic” tunings
My main two instruments are an original George Lowden “L” (his biggest) that became his “O” model cedar / rosewood it is a fully mature instrument (20 years old) and is is beautifully proportioned. It is an out and out finger picking guitar and not for strumming, way to much overtones (harmonic content )/ sustain. My other giging guitar is a Dana Bourgeois JOM - a dreadnought depth OM spruce/rosewood 8 years old and just starting to open up with that american “woody” tone as opposed to the Lowden’s more european “string” tone. Both of these guitars are played finger picking style with a thumb pick and with hands more suited to being a blacksmith I drive these guitars in single string playing as hard as any flat picker.
you know I think this kinda debate, which whisky compliments Haggis, Aberdeen Angus, Venison or Salmon” - just get on with it or your meal might get cold - no offence.
yours unreg

some tunes
www.myspace.com/geobow
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: The ideal DADGAD guitar?

Post by PJ »

Lightheaded Mike wrote:I'm curious about people's thoughts about whether this sort of quality is generally desired in a tuning like DADGAD, where chords may differ only by one note. Or is a boomier, thick-chord sounding guitar is still OK for this kind of tuning.
I find that an advantage of DADGAD over common tuning in trad music is the bass D. Listening to musicians who accompany ITM with standard tuning, I feel they're missing something. Even Dropped D would be an improvement.

The main advantage of DADGAD, though, is being able to play melody.

As far as guitars go, I play Ovation deep-bodies both 6 and 12 string, both in DADGAD and both with medium gauge Martin strings.
PJ
TheKrowe

Post by TheKrowe »

I like my Gibson Bell Brass Dobro with the gator and swamp etched in the back. It has lots of punch, particularly in the lower end. DADGAD is my favorite tuning, though you're likely to find a brass slide on my pinky when I'm playing it. :D
kentan

Post by kentan »

I would definitely go for a Jumbo Lowden if you can. I've been playing DADGAD for a while on different guitars and the Lowdens are usually among the best :)
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

Hi Mike. Definately the Seagull is going to be the best bang for the buck. However, if they are still out of your price range, don't fret (punn intended) as Art and Lutherie is made by the same company that makes Seagull (Lasido aka Godin). For around $200 USD you can get a very nice NEW guitar. I have three of them; a dreadnaught, a folk size (similar to a mid sized body), and a parlor size (great fo travel and just sitting around anywhere). The dreadnaught will work well for the DADGAD tuning as well as just about any tuning, which is what I use it for, the folk size is great for fingerstyle and more single note lines as the notes really jump out, and the parlor size is, well, just fun! If they made a Jumbo I would for sure get one.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/