Susato Kildare

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BlackFire_
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Susato Kildare

Post by BlackFire_ »

I've been pondering on purchasing one of these, because I want to buy a whistle above 30$ (minimum for international shipping) to a max of 50$ (budget) Canadian. I frankly don't know anything about these whistles, so any tonal qualities or even audio/video clips would be greatly appreciated. Are there any other whistles in this price range? And what is the difference between a small and very small bore?
arnie
antispam: No

Post by arnie »

Buy an Impempe, a beautifully made alloy whistle from Ian Turnbull, south Africa: impempe.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk. There's also a review on the C&F. Its sound is full and complex, a very easy blower, also in the higher octave, and well in tune. It's supposed to be a soft whistle. I have 4 Impempes: a Bb and a C that are a bit soft and must be underblown. I also have an F and a D that are quite loud. Thing is that the sound is so very focused it can be heard from quite a distance. So the magic is that it's sometimes soft and loud at the same time. It's a whistle for $40,- worth more than twice the price. I recommend it to you.
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

I personally like susatos, although you'll get some mixed reactions on this board. They're loud, well-tuned, and fairly even in my experience.

The very small bore is a quieter whistle than the regular small bore. I don't have a VSB, but that's what I've heard.

Another whistle to consider in this price range (and lower) is the Dixon polymer. I have one, and it's my favorite whistle once you get the hang of it. They're tunable (like the Kildare) and have a very clear tone. They're loud enough to hold up in a session without totally overpowering. I got mine for about $25 (USA) without shipping. Dixon whistles in general have an even quality to them that I like very much, so I guess that's another brand to consider. :)
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
BlackFire_

Post by BlackFire_ »

I live in Canada, so some stuff might be harder to get for me. I'm checking out the ones you guys said now.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I like Susatos a lot as well. Get the C body as well if you can.

The small bore has a much richer tone than the VSB but the top of the second octave is quite loud. It is nice to have both.

Here are some Susato videos,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9DLP4Po ... %20whistle
Here is a video of a Susato C

BlackFire_

Post by BlackFire_ »

Does the C body have to be in the key of C? Or is it just named that?
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Here are a couple Dixon polymer whistles on eBay with a 'Buy It Now', and they are in Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tony-Dixon-Penny-Wh ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tony-Dixon-Penny-Wh ... dZViewItem
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

BlackFire_ wrote:Does the C body have to be in the key of C? Or is it just named that?
With the two-peice Susato Kildare whistles you can save a lot of money by buying one head and several bodies. If you remove the head from the D whistle and put it on the C body you have a C whistle, i.e. a whistle in the key of C. Some other whistle makers offer the same option.

The C Susato is very nice IMHO.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I have a Susato Kildare VSB in D and is my best whistle. It's louder than my other whistles, but it sounds fantastic.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I love my sussato, (the holes are big and evenly spaced, its tunable, it fits nicley in my hand, the fipple fits nicely in my mouth) until I blow into it. then its over. very loud and piercing, second octave must be overblown. its the only trad instrament that makes my ears ring after playing it. I recomend you make your own, you can make it how you want it. go to http://guido.gonzato.googlepages.com/whistle.html to figure out how.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I love my sussato, (the holes are big and evenly spaced, its tunable, it fits nicley in my hand, the fipple fits nicely in my mouth) UNTIL I BLOW INTO IT. then its over. very loud and piercing, second octave must be overblown. its the only trad instrament that makes my ears ring after playing it. I recomend you make your own, you can make it how you want it. go to http://guido.gonzato.googlepages.com/whistle.html to figure out how.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

robbie wrote:I love my sussato, (the holes are big and evenly spaced, its tunable, it fits nicley in my hand, the fipple fits nicely in my mouth) UNTIL I BLOW INTO IT. then its over.
Sh*t dude... thats harsh. :lol:

Here I thought I was tough on them.

Now I respect the Susato guys but I don't think the product is as consistent as advertised. I have the privilege to play a number different ones now. The first one I had the chance to play had some issues. They were confirmed by a respected Susato lover.

I've played others and found them enjoyable...the keys below D.

I've made some tweeks to my D and I have learned to control it... but I still do not enjoy it.

We all change our minds about our tools as we improve and gain experience. So who knows.

Currently... my lack of years playing being a guide... I can't recommend a Susato as a first or second instrument.

Others feel free to disagree... as it will be.

Oh, bats... I hope you like bats.

My suggestion for a whistle at 30$ for your level.

Dixon Trad.

Its not to hard but its not too easy to control either. A good intermediate whistle perhaps. Its also not too loud and you can play without loosing spouses, house mates or neighbors. ;)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Adrian wrote:And a Dixon whistle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137atmukozo
I have a Dixon trad but no Susato.
I sometimes play along with womeone who's got a Susato though. It sounds MUCH louder that my Dixon.

I would make the same comparison with a Phil Bleazy and a Copeland, but those might not be in your budget.

Pascal.
BlackFire_

Post by BlackFire_ »

I'm coming from a Generation, so how would they compare in tone/volume/and air requirement?