Advice on Playing a Burke EZ Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Caroleleanor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Advice on Playing a Burke EZ Low D

Post by Caroleleanor »

I have had a Burke Low D whistle made for people with small hands (the EZ) for about 5 weeks. There are times when I feel as if I am making progress with the whistle, but I quickly get very frustrated again. As Michael Burke says on his website, the E is difficult, but I seem to be having a problem even with the D in the higher octave and just generally having problems. Is there anyone with the same whistle who can give me tips?

I am following the instructions I have seen on the net as well as a book I have that describes how to hold the low whistle. I play it for at least an hour, sometimes two, every day. I'm wondering if I should not have gotten the EZ, but think it's probably me. I have played the soprano D for three years and that was my first foray into playing an instrument. And I am over 60. What do you think?
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Post by Feadoggie »

Caroleleanor,

I would just encourage you to keep at it everyday. I play Burle low D's too (a composite EZ, an aluminum pro from 2001 and a more recent Viper). The EZ is a bit easier to learn on than many other low D whistles. I would encourage you to stick with the Burke you have. They are good whistles. I have owned and played many other brands of low D as well and I think the Burke EZ is as playable as any low D. Some use less air; some have an easier reach but on average the Burke EZ is right there as a beginner's low D IMHO.
I am following the instructions I have seen on the net as well as a book I have that describes how to hold the low whistle.
I assume this is describing the piper's grip. That's the way to go but it will take a while for your hands to become accustomed to the new feel. Play airs to start and once you have the fingers used to covering the tone holes you can get to the faster stuff.
And I am over 60. What do you think?
I would not be concerned with your age at all. I am about that age too. I have arthritis as well. Playing the whistle actually helps keep the fingers working for me. Burke low whistles can require a bit of air to keep them going but it's like exercising. The more you excercise, the easier it becomes.

Patience! It will come to you with time.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Caroleleanor

Post by Caroleleanor »

Feadoggie,

Thank you so much for the response and encouragement. That is very helpful. I will keep at it. I remember that notes and songs that were "iffy" for me on the soprano D a few years ago, no longer are, so perhaps that will be the way it is with the low D.

Yes, I was describing the piper's grip. It isn't as difficult as it was when I started using it, so that's progress.

Again, thank you very much. I will read your message every time I get discouraged.
arnie

Post by arnie »

The pipieer's grip is quite easy, it only feels awkward at the beginning, but it feels more natural on a low whistle than fingertips.
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Hi Caroleleanor,

Here's a link on the piper's grip: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/pipers.html .

Staying relaxed in mind and fingers will help. Also, you might find it useful to soak your hands in warm water for awhile before playing. Be sure to avoid a death grip. It should not take much pressure to close a tone hole. Also, if your fingers are tense, it is impossible to develop any speed.

Also, on breath control, make sure you are actually blowing as opposed to only using your diaphram. You can do this by only blowing through the very tip of the mouthpiece. The more mouthpiece you have in your mouth the more likely it is you are not blowing. By actually blowing you will get more notes per breath.

Remember, any new instrument is a challenge to everyone. Best, Cyril.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm a rebel. I play fingertip style. Piper's grip just is too awkward for me.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
bonnieb

Post by bonnieb »

Hi Caroleleanor,

I have just been playing the whistle since August of this year and could not resist the low d. Well, being a woman (having smaller hands) I bought a Burke Low D Viper. It took me a bit to get the hang of playing it, but it was well worth in. Just keep practicing. Practice simple songs that help with the holes that you are having a problem covering. Like I said, it took me a bit. I had the exact same problem. Once you master it, It is so worth the journey. :) I was struggling with the two same notes and then one day I picked up my Low D and "there it all was". I was playing it just like I had never had a problem. I used the song "The Rose" to help with my fingering on this whistle.

Good luck and never give it up. It is soooo worth it.
Caroleleanor

Post by Caroleleanor »

Hi Bonnieb

Thanks for the encouragement. It's great to have this support group. I've never used this forum before in this way and it's been helpful.

It helps to know someone was in the same boat and with the same two notes. I don't know "The Rose", but I'll look for it. I have been playing a simple "Ode to Joy" because it only uses the first octave. Also, I have been trying "Amazing Grace" and "Skye Boat Song".

I won't give up (I think). I'm retired, have the time, and the desire.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It takes time. You will get it, and you are practicing regularly, so just relax and let yourself get to know that whistle. Every whistle has its own personality, and you have yours... getting the two to mesh just takes practice. Be patient with yourself. Nobody becomes an expert overnight. It was a full year before I could consistently play my first low D without the squeeky squawks on the high a and b notes. :)

Oh... and Welcome!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
bonnieb

Post by bonnieb »

Hey, I am 53 and just starting to learn. He, He, He :lol:

You can do it! :wink: Like I said and every one else states, just keep practicing. It will come believe me.

"The Rose" is a very simple song to learn. If you listen to it, you will pick it up quick. It is not a Celtic song, but it is hauntingly beautiful on the Low D and is ideal for training your fingers to come down properly on those low holes.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've been playing a Burke Viper since July, and I experienced some trouble sealing all the holes also, though I've played low D whistles on-and-off for over 20 years. When I go from the Burke to any other low D whistle, the other whistle always seems to feel more comfortable in the hands. But, none so far has had the volume. I just love the big fat tone of the Burke, but unfortunately you have to finger a big fat whistle to get it! But soon I was able to get around on the Burke as nimbly as anything. Played it a couple hours at session last night. It's a terrific session horn. As people are saying, the key is relaxation, and the piper's grip.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I play a Burke viper also. I use a piper's grip on the right hand. Even with the bottom section turned to offset the last hole I still have gotten used to using my pinkey for the lowest hole. I can reach with my 4th finger but my hand ends up cramping an who needs that? I have also added a Susato thumb grip and thath adds a lot of stability while not affecting the sound. I think it best to experiment & find what works best for you.
Caroleleanor

Thank you all ! !

Post by Caroleleanor »

Thank you everyone. I am not sure this is the way to reach all of you who gave me very good advice and encouragement with the Burke Low D. I am getting the hang of it and have made much progress since I wrote on October 14. I can sometimes play entire tunes (still concentrating on the lower octave when I can) and the low notes are there when I want them. I had been quite frustrated and kept going because of your encouragement.

I am interested in finding the music for "The Rose". Does anyone know of a place on the web where I can find it for free?