Mini concertina - Best key for a 13 button Anglo?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Mini concertina - Best key for a 13 button Anglo?

Post by avanutria »

This mini beastie is 105mm across and in the key of G, with thirteen buttons (plus air). The maker has been considering the possibility of offering additional keys and reckons he can accommodate any key from C (like the C row on a C/G) to G (like the G row on a C/G).

I mostly play Irish tunes, though I might want to play along with Martin's Morris tunes sometimes. I am thinking I'll probably get it in D and use the extra buttons to provide some F and C naturals. Any thoughts on a possible better arrangement?

Still not sure if I'll buy it or not...as the maker hasn't decided on a suitable price yet!
seanc
Tell us something.: I am primarily a bass player for 30+ years in rock bands. Making an effort to expand my horizons. Currently struggling with concertina. Completely befuddled by Uilleann pipes.

wow

Post by seanc »

Looks very nice! Who is tghe builder? I have been drooling over the ones that Bob Tedrow makes..

If it were me, I would opt for a D with a c natural accidental..
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

It says "A.C. Norman" on the straps.
Liam
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

For Irish music, The two best choices would be the key of C or the key of G. Personally i would lean toward the key of G with accidentals covering the C# and F natural (And the lower E). That would enable you to emulate the style of old style Irish Concertina Players like Chris Droney who spends most of his time on the G row. The C with F#, C# would also allow you to play many traditional tunes in a style that is not too far removed from the tradition of Irish Concertina Music.

--
Bill
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Bob Tedrow makes a mini. I heard him play one in his shop once. Unbelievable sound for such a tiny beast.

http://hmi.homewood.net/mini/
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I think I'm leaning towards a C-row with accidentals to cover D - this would be a C#/F# button on the left, and on the right a C#/F# and possibly a D/C#. Thoughts are welcome.

I don't think I want a G row because I've already got a pseudo-mini German with a G row and it's a bit too high and squeaky for my tastes. This layout should enable me to play a good number of tunes.
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

hgrhgfh

Post by Mr.Nate »

How about a 2 row C#/D? What do I know...I'm just an accordion player.

I did get a chance to try Tedrow's new smaller size C/G concertina on tour!

Cute as a button and I loved the sound, workmanship...just had a hard time making a D scale out of a C/G. I know, I know, that's what people play Irish music on, but couldn't someone make it a little easier with a friendlier key?

Ok, Even a two row in B/C would be interesting!! I'm weird :P

I think it's called the Zephyr. 5 5/8" across 2.22 lbs

It was inspired by a Dipper of that size. I don't know why someone would want to go smaller than the Zephyr! Believe me...its cute at 5 5/8 with 3 rows..Wow!!

http://hmi.homewood.net/zephyr/

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
avanutria

Re: hgrhgfh

Post by avanutria »

Mr.Nate wrote:I think it's called the Zephyr. 5 5/8" across 2.22 lbs

It was inspired by a Dipper of that size. I don't know why someone would want to go smaller than the Zephyr! Believe me...its cute at 5 5/8 with 3 rows..Wow!!
I've got a dipper 3 row anglo on order even smaller than that :twisted:
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

miere

Post by Mr.Nate »

Sweet...that guy is an amaizing craftsman!

What is Dipper's waiting list at these days?

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

No idea. We haven't even gotten that far yet! But I've heard estimates from other people of 5 to 8 years. (not sure if those are accurate though!) I've been on it for about a year already, I think.

Edit - I just rang Dipper for my update, actually (he likes people to ring every few months as that makes sure they don't forget about it!) and asked about waiting lists. he said the "special" big Englishes and Duets and things currently run about 7 years. The regular Anglos usually run about 2.5 years but he's gotten a lot of orders in lately so it's looking to be about 3 years. And my one would be 3 to 4 years as a worst case scenario. I don't know if that counts the past year or not.

He says he is redesigning some of his plans from the last time he made one like this, and reckons he can fit 32 buttons on it! :boggle:
avanutria

Re: Mini concertina - Best key for a 13 button Anglo?

Post by avanutria »

My mini concertina from A. C. Norman should be here tomorrow!!
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

From left to right:

Edgley 30 button C/G from 2003
German 20 button G/D (more or less!), refurbished by A.C. Norman in 2006 or so
A.C. Norman 13-button mini in C with accidentals for G and D.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Great stuff Beth! So how does it play? Are you happy with the purchase? Can you PM me the price you paid for it if it's not too personnal? I'm just curious, I'm not planning on buying one as I'll be forever struggling with a standard C/G :-)
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Hi Az! I love it. I'm really really pleased. It's got a better reed response than the Edgley - with a bit more practice I will be able to manage a triple on the G using two fingers, a move I have seen on other concertinas but could never get to sound properly on the edgley. Also since it is smaller there is less mass to move, so it feels quicker. Some good choices of accidentals have given me quite a range too, though of course some fingerings will be tricky because notes aren't provided in two places (except for one). The small bellows mean I have to be aware of how much air/space I have remaining but after the leaks that the edgley has developed that is a nice change!

It's small enough to fit inside an insulated lunch pail and is really light.

I'll PM with more details about wait and price etc. (if anyone else wants these details just let me know.)

Edited to add: More pics!

avanutria

Post by avanutria »

And here's a sound file, if the link works: Lad O'Beirne's.

http://www.4shared.com/file/91763969/48 ... dtune.html