Walton & Soodlum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Walton & Soodlum

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I tried to make sure this wasn't a repost. I did find some info, but not the answer I was looking for. Anyway, I know that Waltons took over Soodlum, but I was wondering if there is any reason to get a Soodlum Mello D over a Watlons Mello D. Were the older ones in any way made better?
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
pao
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pao »

hmmmm, i'm not sure 'bout this... i think that soodlums are not manufactured anymore so the only remaining mellow D's are the ones that Waltons make, so i guess that the ones that are available right now are the new ones. but if you ever happen to find the ones when it was still under soodlums (if there are still available somewhere), i believe they're the same since they haven't re-designed the mouthpiece, they only replaced the sticker on the whitle body.
落とされた天使
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Walton & Soodlum

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Tucson Whistler wrote:I tried to make sure this wasn't a repost. I did find some info, but not the answer I was looking for. Anyway, I know that Waltons took over Soodlum, but I was wondering if there is any reason to get a Soodlum Mello D over a Watlons Mello D. Were the older ones in any way made better?
I've had examples of a Soodlum Mellow D, a new in the package early Waltons Mellow D and current Waltons Mellow D's. As far as I can remember, they were all indistinguishable except for the Soodlum label. The bell note on the Soodlum Mellow D is sharp exactly the same as with current Waltons Mellow D's.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Tucson Whistler

Thanks for the info. Just what I wanted to know.
~Oscar Wilde
Tucson Whistler

I saw a Soodlum's on eBay and decided to get. The name is painted on the brass (instead of a sticker) and it looked kind cool. Anyway, it just came in and I'm really pleased with it. I don't know how old it is, but it's tarnished and spotted and has a neat look. The tone holes are dimpled which I hadn't noticed on other whistles. I think it's the wider bore. The upper octave sounds good and the low notes are loud and clear. There's just a touch of roughness. It's not scratchy or raspy at all. This is the first time I've gotten a cheap whistle that actually sounded good and that was kind of exciting.
~Oscar Wilde
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Pictures? :)
Tucson Whistler

straycat82 wrote:Pictures? :)
Here's a few.

ImagePainted logo

ImageYou can see a bit of the dimpling on the tone holes.
~Oscar Wilde
pao
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

wow

Post by pao »

wow! that's an awesome-looking whistle, congratulations!!! :D
落とされた天使