Are Sweetheart flutes indestructible?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've owned a number of these flutes over the years,
and treated them, well, roughly. But none
have cracked or broken or...

I'm thinking of the 300 dollar variety.

Short of jumping up and down on these,
does anybody know of a
Sweetheart flute that has cracked in
ordinary use, e.g. due to dryness?
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

No.
http://ircamera.as.arizona.edu/NatSci10 ... s/mush.gif
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Blackwood wrote:
No.
Have you tried it? :o
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

OK. OK, if I want to play a jig during a nuclear holocaust,
I'll reach for delrin.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Actually, I think Delrin would melt. :o

But until just recently I owned 6 of Ralph's instruments: two whistles, two fifes, a flute, and a tabor pipe. Except for the flute, all of these are about 15 years old. While you do have to give them all the normal care of a good wooden instrument, I never had even the suspicion of a problem in all that time, and they never required any special care at all. One of the whistles is my primary, and it just won't quit. I've had to re-cork it twice in all that time, and oil it once in a while, but never any trouble at all.

I think the two important things about them, at least the kind we're talking about, is that they have fairly thick wood at the joints, and there are no metal liners. Those are the spots where most flutes develop cracks, I believe.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

Blackwood wrote:
No.
LOL!!!!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

jim stone wrote:OK. OK, if I want to play a jig during a nuclear holocaust
:lol: :lol: :lol:

and I'll bring the marshmallows!
mmmmmmmmmmm: crispy!

M
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Actually, I think Delrin would melt. eek

And I would precede it!

How about this thought. If you want a rough and
ready flute, to take hiking or whatever
or to go places and/or that sort of thing,
the stuff we often think a delrin flute
does best, the sweetheart (while perhaps not
so robust) is a good bet.

Above all these are disinclined to crack
in dry environments.

I'm not suggesting madness, like applying humungous
pressure or leaving it a car in July in Arizona,
but still a good travel flute.

Nobody can report a crack, apparently.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Sorry Jim! :(

I received a used Sweet rosewood folk fife that cracked during transit. It was shipped during an extream cold spell (windchill was about -25 celcius here) and it came from central Michigan where it was even colder. The parcel was well wrapped and in good order upon arrival. So I believe the extream cold was the culprit and simply "freeze dried" the fife and cracked the head. :swear:

I personally feel the most injurious thing I subject my flutes to is their transit through the postal system! :o
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I think they would make excellent backpacking flutes, certainly the keyless models would. If you oiled it before you left home and had a nice padded case for it, like the kind of thing Annie makes, I wouldn't see any problem at all. I suppose if something REALLY heavy fell on your pack, well...

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Sillydill wrote:Sorry Jim! :(

I received a used Sweet rosewood folk fife that cracked during transit. It was shipped during an extream cold spell (windchill was about -25 celcius here) and it came from central Michigan where it was even colder. The parcel was well wrapped and in good order upon arrival. So I believe the extream cold was the culprit and simply "freeze dried" the fife and cracked the head. :swear:

I personally feel the most injurious thing I subject my flutes to is their transit through the postal system! :o
I'd be more suspicious of the extreme cold than any kind of 'freeze-drying' effect. The whole idea behind oiling a wooden flute is to keep excess moisture out while keeping just the right amount in. In such brutal cold, and being exposed for several days in transit, it's likely that the flute simply froze through and became very brittle. The wood may have contracted to an extreme degree, or the instrument may have taken a sudden blow while frozen. Any sudden thermal shock, such as opening the package before the contents have reached room temperature could theoretically cause a crack also. I recieved a dulcimer shipped in early December (not extreme weather here) and the box had a label warning the recipient to allow several hours for the whole thing to warm up slowly before opening. It wasn't necessary in my case, but sound advice. The fact that water expands when it freezes is another possibility.

Transit conditionas are often the hardest thing we do to a flute, as you said. Personally, I would never ship any musical instrument under those conditions. Just too risky for my thinking. No matter the absolute cause, I would think that exposing a flute to such severe temperatures is a recipe for disaster.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

jim stone wrote:Actually, I think Delrin would melt. eek
More like sublimate or turn into a plasma, depending on your proximity to the blast zone. Well at least your flute would project.
awildman

Post by awildman »

That's really taking overblowing to the next level.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

awildman wrote:That's really taking overblowing to the next level.
Mmmmm. But would it be harmonious? (Or sweet? :P )

If we are contemplating being sublimated, evaporated or otherwise atomised, does atomic weight relate to the harmonic series, mathematically, that is? A sublime and weighty question, if a trifle overblown. :devil:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Jim, why do you ask this specifically about Sweet flutes? Any hardwood flute that has no metal should last forever. There is no more reason for a flute to crack than anything else made of wood, including table legs. It seems to me that nothing short of extreme abuse would cause a keyless flute with no metal lining to crack.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain