Not gone, but am taking a breather (to play new whistles!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

After much consideration:

I will not be permanently gone from the boards, but am taking a break to let current issues and any bad feelings die down before returning to more regular posting.

Also, to leave you on a better note, I've just recieved from The Whistle Shop just about every popular inexpensive whistle I didn't have yet. And I really lucked out--good whistles all around.

I got three Generation D's, a brass, a nickel, and the green-fippled "folk" D, and was pleasantly surprised that all three play well out of the box. Also was pleasantly surprised to find the folk D plays quite a bit differently from the other Generations--it's softer, has a purer sound, and is easier to control in its second octave. Very nice whistle, very clean sound!

Also got Acorn, which was a pleasant surpise, and an Oak, which was a <i>very</i> pleasant surprise, very very nice whistle, moderately loud tone, good pure sound with the slightest bit of edge, easy to control all the way up into the third octave without shrieking.

I got a Feadog, which I'm not sure if I like yet or not, a Sweetone to replace my old one, which has a terminal fipple crack, and a Meg, which was another very pleasant surprise. The $3 whistle just might be the best one in the whole darn box!!!

The Meg, the Generation "folk," and the Oak are fantastically good whistles, so while I'm off the boards be sure that I'll be playing the fire out of those beauties!

In the meantime, until my return, my best wishes to you all,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi James,

In case you are still around to read this, I've heard about the Folk Generation before, but never seen one for sale anywhere.

Is the fipple design Identical to the normal Gens apart from the colour, and what metal is the body, Brass or Nickel. Are they less shrill than the normal Gens on the high A & B? I was playing a brass Gen a couple of hours ago, and it's shriller on those top notes than most of my other whistles.

And to Steve Power, can you get these in? I'd order a couple if you can source them, just for the interest, and if they play different from a normal Gen I'd be doubly interested.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm still around, just not posting much. I'll still be "lurking" frequently though.

I got the Generation folk whistle from thewhistleshop.com. It looks identical to a brass Generation except the fipple is green plastic and it looks like the cut of the blade may be very slightly different.

It plays remarkably well for an untweaked Generation, though. Smooth, even, clean tone all the way up and down.

I can't swear the difference is in the "folk" vs older Generation, though, or if it is a really really good Generation that happens to have a green fipple.

It is slightly more expensive than a regular Generation bluetop, but still well under $10.

Best wishes,
--James
http://www.flutesite.com
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

James, if you find you're not crazy about that Feadog, try blue-tacking it. Did wonders for mine!

Tery
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Glad to hear you are not permanently retreating from posting to the forums, James. Hope the 'bruises' heal quickly!
Alan
meir

Post by meir »

teri,

excuse my ignorance. where do you blue tac your feadog? I am very familiar with blue tacing SSP drones but do not know its role on whistles

thanks

meir
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Peeplj, in my view you've already proven that the manufacturer's interests come first with you. As a result, your evaluations are not credible.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-08-07 18:56, Whitmores75087 wrote:
Peeplj, in my view you've already proven that the manufacturer's interests come first with you. As a result, your evaluations are not credible.
I don't think that's entirely fair...not unless there's a lot more history here than the "mystery whistle" situation, for which he apologized (and which struck me as more a miscommunication issue than anything else). Granted I've only been here a couple of months, and I haven't read every single post, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong (won't be the first time!), but I haven't seen anything in any of his posts (including the "mystery whistle" situation) that suggests an unfair bias toward the manufacturer.

Redwolf
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

On 2002-08-07 18:56, Whitmores75087 wrote:
I'm really, really hoping that this was tounge-in-cheek and I'm missing the joke (I've made that mistake recently). If not, I'm quite sad, given the situation.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Seriously! The guy tried to help a whistlemaker and made a bad guess about a way to help. We blew off some steam; he apologized. Done, over, lessons learned by all, I think.

Tery
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Meir, Check the archives and the Whistle Annex (http://www.geocities.com/whistleannex/index.html) for information about tweaking. The blue tack goes inside the fipple, to fill the cavity in there.

Tery