The irish washerwoman

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The irish washerwoman

Post by Bothrops »

Just wondering...
When you play this tune.. do you 'tongue' the notes or do you play it continously using cuts and taps?
I find it almost impossible to play it without tongue the notes, but it's also difficult to me to tongue the notes very quickly (it gets 'tired' soon).

Cheers,
Bothrops
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

I try NOT to play this tune unless its requested, but when I do (and if I do on the whistle) I use mostly taps/cuts for articulation and such. I will tongue some parts along with (less) finger articulation, but I find I get the most consistant good results relying on finger articulation above all.

But its largly a decision to be made by the individual player and their abilities/tastes. If you found it more pleasing to tongue instead of finger articulate, go for it. Individuality is great!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

also always done this question to me ....... :-? :lol:
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I play it same way as other tunes - i.e. mostly no tonguing, but at places, where it adds intonations, I use it. In my opinion, style without little tonguing is sort of...lacking something mostly.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I play it same way as other tunes - i.e. mostly no tonguing, but at places, where it adds intonations, I use it. In my opinion, style without little tonguing is sort of...lacking something mostly.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

please delete, accidental multi-post.
Last edited by Pyroh on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Usually I tongue it, but sometimes I use taps and cuts.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Brother Steve has a great page about tonguing in jigs:
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... jigsI.html

In my opinion, The Irish Washerwoman is a great candidate for
tonguing only the third note in each group of 3. This gives it an
interesting swing: "waddle-doo-waddle-doo-waddle-doo..."
I don't like it as much with the slur-tongue-tongue method
("wa-doo-doowa-doo-doowa..."), but it's better than tonguing
everything.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I always lead into it from Danny Boy. I prefer to tongue it more like be-bop-bo-diddly-bop-be-bop-bo-didda-wadda.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
scheky

Post by scheky »

Tim2723 wrote:I always lead into it from Danny Boy. I prefer to tongue it more like be-bop-bo-diddly-bop-be-bop-bo-didda-wadda.
Best

Ever
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tim2723 wrote:I always lead into it from Danny Boy.
That's a great idea. Is there a third tune to make this a trifecta of American Irish requests?
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

End on "I'll Take you Home Again Kathleen". Kills 'em in Peoria.

And a happy Wocka-Wocka to ya'll!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

That tune has had such a strange arc in the world of Irish traditional music. It was SO popular among Irish players in America in the early 20th century that it became synonymous with Irish music. It entered the pop music world and began to be used in Hollywood soundtracks whenever anything Irish was happening on screen. It then became not only unpopular amongst Irish players, but actually taboo, being in effect banned from Irish sessions. Ironic that current Irish players roll their eyes when anyone plays it, because some of the biggest names in Irish music history played and recorded it in the early 20th century.
I have never actually heard the tune played by any current ITM player.
I had to learn it years ago for a band I was in, and I had to come up with a traditional-sounding way to play it, as the tune as usually heard (in film scores) really doesn't fit the shape of traditional jigs. I came up with a very trad-sounding way to play it using NO tonguing, as I don't tongue on the flute. I altered the shape of the tune, putting in rolls etc and am pretty happy with the result, which passes the "smell test" of an Irish tune.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

One thing that strikes me is that a some beginner books like to include it but it's not really a beginner tune IMO. It's a bit tricky in spots and would be frustrating for a beginner to think he can learn it as one his first tunes.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

FJohnSharp wrote:One thing that strikes me is that a some beginner books like to include it but it's not really a beginner tune IMO. It's a bit tricky in spots and would be frustrating for a beginner to think he can learn it as one his first tunes.
Yes, that's true.
Although I can play it, I still can't do it perfectly. It's not THAT easy.