Bb whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bb whistles

Post by Bothrops »

I'm new to whistle playing and to music in general, and I'm asking: Why are Bb whistles so special?!
What I mean.. I see that people become crazy for a Bb whistle, but I don't understand why. They certainly sound pretty, but isn't Bb a 'weird' tone, or I'm wrong? Are they useful?

Please, if you can explain this to a total newbie I'll thank you a lot!

Cheers,
Bothrops
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

For me, the Bb compared to a D holds the same appeal as the cello compared to a violin.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Exactly. I virtually never play a Bb in public, but it's one of my favorite whistles for playing around the house -- I love the sound and it's so comfortable under my fingers.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just because they are mellower and rounder sounding, I think, but still at a soprano pitch - they sure don't sound like low whistles, though perhaps their sound is what pointed to the desirability of a low whistle in the first place.... and I'm ONLY thinking of Generation here, being the original and only until the late 1970s (Clarkes only did C and there weren't any others.)

I agree they are of little use at sessions unless its an Eb session or there's a Bb set of pipes around (B nat is more likely there, though exceeding rare!), but for tootling mellifluosly at home, practicing without waking the baby or setting off the neighbourhood dogs, great. Or for lonesome melancholy wanderings. They come into their own for song accompaniment, though - many of Planxty's great song arrangements involve Liam O'Flynn playing Bb whistle, for example: classic stuff. If you don't know them, get to hear them!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It's low enough to be very pleasing to the ear and still small enough to be easy on the fingering. I think there is also something about that timbre that resonates in the human being.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

And military fifes were (theoretically) in Bb.
Reasonable person
Walden
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

FJohnSharp wrote:For me, the Bb compared to a D holds the same appeal as the cello compared to a violin.
Very well put!
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks for the answer, guys! Now I can understand why do you all like Bb whistles. I heard a Generation Bb and certainly sounds mellow and pretty, but I didn't know if there was something more besides of that or not.

Thanks again :wink:
Bothrops
JackFeeney

Post by JackFeeney »

Here's my two cents on the Bb phenomenon: Perhaps its range most closely resembles the voice of a high male tenor?
Jack Feeney
Bill Hennessy

Post by Bill Hennessy »

FWIW, a lot of hymns are in Bb or Eb, so having a Bb whistle is nice to keep them in a singable range for most people. Also it means I can play along with another instrument, like a guitar or piano, without having to transpose anything. I don't think a lot of ITM is in Bb, though.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Bb whistles

Post by preacher »

I have heard somewhere that the universe is tuned to Bb
arnie

Post by arnie »

I own an Impempe Bb. I use it in our band. The key I use depends on the key we play a song in, and that mostly depends on the best sounding key for the singer. The Bb is especially useful for me in songs, like Raglan Road. Also it can be quite nice to play slow airs with, like Amhran na Leabhar which I play in Bb. It's has som nice low notes without being a low whistle. this also goes for the popular whistlekey of A. The sound is lower, mellower and nice to the ear.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Have a listen to the CD "Kitty Lie Over" and ye shall have your answer...
Corin
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

meemtp wrote:Have a listen to the CD "Kitty Lie Over" and ye shall have your answer...
Definitely. Although a couple tracks seem to have been done in B natural as well. I seem to be the only one who's hearing the half step tone differences, unless those "B" tracks were sped up some I don't know... (for your own curiosity on this matter, if you have the album, click on track 8, listen to the drones, then click on track 10 immediately after and listen to those drones, you'll hear it [hopefully], even though the liner notes say only Bb...)

At any rate, I'm with the above, it's mellow, sweet sounding, and just fun to play.

I've found that a simple key change, (as in a different keyed whistle) can really add color to a tune in many ways, or give it a different feeling then what you might get using the standard old D. Be it Eb, C, B, Bb, A whatever your pleasure.

I also like the sound of two Bb whistles perfectly in tune playing The Kerry Fling into The Home Ruler, it's a sweet thing to hear. :wink:

-Eric
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks again people.
I'm from Argentina and here it's not easy to get whistles. Nevertheless, today I found a nickel Generation Bb for 8 dollars in a shop! I bought it, and it's awesome.
Playing it mostly in the first octave it's fantastic. I can play 'My heart will go on' and it sounds so beautiful :lol:

Cheers,
Bothrops