My O'Brien Whistles Came

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

My O'Brien Whistles Came

Post by Emrys »

I just got two lovely new whistles from a maker I didn't know much about before this--David O'Brien. They come apart into 3 pieces. One is a high D in Blackwood. The other is a high Ev in Delrin.

They sound just beautiful! They have a clear, clean tone, very playable instrument and well in tune. I'm glad I got them.

Does anyone else have experiences with O'Brien whistles?
Pazziato

O'Brien Whistles

Post by Pazziato »

I own a C/D set in purpleheart, and the 5 body/uno head set copper/plated. I really enjoy them, and I am saving for a low D by him.

I will echo your comments about playability and tone. I highly recommend him and his whistles.
Nilihism is best left to the Professionals.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

I have a low d by him and love it. It's really easy to play, and reasonably priced too.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

He's not only a great whistle maker, he's a great guy too.

One of these days, I need to try out the delrin ones he's making.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I got his Stowaway about a week ago. It sounds really bright and clear and fast tunes just roll out of it. It's great fun to play. I keep it in my purse so that I always have a whistle handy.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a nickel-plated copper Rover in D which is a sweet, sweet whistle--pure toned, yet a hint of complexity, really lovely chiff, and a sweet, clear, easy upper register. A lovely whistle.

Also have his narrow bore brass D, which, next only to my Overton, is the damn finest whistle I've ever played. I love my Burkes, but I have to rank this one above them.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Good to hear all these reports! The more I play mine (I just got them today and have been pretty much playing them steadily all day long...) the more I like them. In fact, they are the only other whistles I've personally ever played that rival my O'Riordans for pure beauty and clarity of tone. That is an unexpected great treat!

I had heard that Sindts are pretty close to O'Riordans in tone, but I do not agree. I own quite a few Sindts and they are wonderful instruments. However, to me, their tone is very different from O'Riordans.

I'm curious... what other whistles have folks played that they think sound like O'Riordans?
wvwhistler

Re: My O'Brien Whistles Came

Post by wvwhistler »

Emrys wrote: Does anyone else have experiences with O'Brien whistles?
I bought his rosewood rover set in Eb, D and C. I love them, love them, love them!

(Did I mention that I love O'Brien whistles?) :lol:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
"All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey