Computer problems

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Computer problems

Post by kkrell »

I'll likely be off-line while I sort out some computer problems. XP can't mount the darned drive.

I'm forwarding email to a Yahoo account, but not sure how often I will get to read them. This will impact "Wooden Flute Obsession" orders as well.

Kevin Krell
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Oh, this has not been going well. Whatever happened to SMART harddrives telling you that it was going bad? It had been on and running with no clues about any problems whatsoever, when it popped off into blue screen land, never to mount the boot volume again.

After 5-6 days of non-destructive attempts to revive or read this drive, and getting nowhere, I am about to abandon 6 months of updated info.

Spinrite finds quite a lot of new bad sectors with only partially recoverable data (at the drive level), so this drive will not get put back into use.

I'm still trying to get into the NTFS partition sufficiently to get some data off, but not looking too hopeful, as the drive will not mount to an XP system (as either an internal SATA or external USB drive). I guess I'll try an XP repair, then one more round with Partition Manager to see if the drive shows up any longer, and attempt (probably fail) to convert the NTFS to a FAT32 partition. Don't see how it could succeed with bad sectors.

I can setup a new drive, but not even sure if I can get my applications to load. Also, I had this stupid DELL with no real XP Home disk, so I either have to go out and buy XP Home (if still available), or install XP Pro, as I have a spare license. Again, not sure all my apps are compatible.

If I've lost your phone number, or email address, or correspondence, you'll know why. Probably forget your names next.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

kkrell wrote:Also, I had this stupid DELL with no real XP Home disk, so I either have to go out and buy XP Home (if still available), or install XP Pro, as I have a spare license.
I've used a Dell OEM disk to install XP Pro on my MacBook and it worked fine. There's probably a sticker with the Windows license key on the bottom (laptop) or back (desktop) of the computer. If you run into problems with the key, call Microsoft and they might give you another one (they are surprisingly helpful in this regard).

It's also worth mentioning Drivesavers. They can recover data from just about anything, but it's never cheap.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Thanks, it might be worth a bit to get 6 months of saved emails back. I do have the license #, but the DELL's use a partition on the drive for rebuilding XP. I might still wait a day or so for more possibilities before forging ahead.

Kevin Krell
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi Kevin!
Don't convert the partitions until you have tried to back up the data on the disk first. It is likley to fail and it may then be a lot harder to retrieve any more data.

Q: Does your HD show up i bios?

Download Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Knoppix or similar linux distro that you can run from CD and see if it can mount and access the hard drive. If so you can use a secondary drive or USB memory stick to save the information from the non damaged sectors.

Good luck!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

[quote="dpmccabe]It's also worth mentioning Drivesavers. They can recover data from just about anything, but it's never cheap.[/quote]

And off it goes to them Monday. The guy I spoke to plays ITM fiddle. Small world, huh? Thanks for the suggestion - unhappy about the $$$ though.

Marcus, for over 20 years, I built video capture, video editing, graphic design and animation systems for Hollywood industry. I supplied systems and software to the game companies, video and film industry, including Disney, Dreamworks, Activision, Digital Domain, Sony, etc. I've provided computers for many a Siggraph show. 16 million color broadcast quality when IBM was still playing with EGA, and the earliest dual-processor setups with only beta drivers to work with.

When I returned from a trip to Ireland in 1996, I had to fix a Disney system that their on-site Microsoft techs could not load NT on. Had it back to them turnkey ready to run the applications the same afternoon I was back. I'm a very careful, methodical person when it comes to troubleshooting. I am, of course, somewhat at a disadvantage now, no longer having a shop bench and current tools and spares to hand. I'm used to being frustrated, stopped at every turn, until I can break through to the solution. I guess this time it's "Game Over" for me, and time to turn it over to an appropriate hard disk tech.

I've just finished re-installing the OS on a new drive, and will get my applications in (hey - I'm already on the Internet), ready for the hoped-for return of recent data in a week or so.

Thanks for the support, folks.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Is this a common occurrence with XP? My desktop wouldn't boot so I called Dell and was referred to a fee-based service. According to the man I talked to, parts of the program can become corrupt. After some diagnostic discussion (and payment, of course) I was coached through reloading the boot part of the program but now the computer takes forever to start up. Unfortunately, a new computer isn't in the cards this year. Good thing I get a laptop through work. Sucks to be one of my kids, though.....
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

springrobin wrote:Is this a common occurrence with XP? My desktop wouldn't boot so I called Dell and was referred to a fee-based service. According to the man I talked to, parts of the program can become corrupt. After some diagnostic discussion (and payment, of course) I was coached through reloading the boot part of the program but now the computer takes forever to start up. Unfortunately, a new computer isn't in the cards this year. Good thing I get a laptop through work. Sucks to be one of my kids, though.....
Not THAT common. However, once out of the period of your service agreement, you either must expect to pay for any technical services, or find the info yourself via books, the internet, etc. or your own experience. The days of free technical support are mostly gone, although there are a few small software and hardware vendors who will continue to respond to questions, even provide walk-through fixes for their products.

Kevin Krell
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm sorry, Kevin. I had a Mac drive blow up like that once -- no warning -- and it was a nightmare. In my case I'd gotten lazy, though --I'd been so lucky to have such reliable computers for so long that I hadn't backed up in an eternity or so ....

The best one was this May, though, when my Blackberry -- and thus all my contacts, etc. -- died the day before I was informed my employer was out of business.

I was so depressed I went home and ate about a quart of ice cream that night.

Anyway, my sympathies. That sucks. Can I buy ya some ice cream?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I'm sorry, Kevin. I had a Mac drive blow up like that once -- no warning -- and it was a nightmare. In my case I'd gotten lazy, though --I'd been so lucky to have such reliable computers for so long that I hadn't backed up in an eternity or so ....

The best one was this May, though, when my Blackberry -- and thus all my contacts, etc. -- died the day before I was informed my employer was out of business.

I was so depressed I went home and ate about a quart of ice cream that night.

Anyway, my sympathies. That sucks. Can I buy ya some ice cream?
Ice cream can solve almost any problem known to man... :D
Was it Vanilla with blackberry's? :twisted:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oooh, that sounds good. I think I'll reserve it for my next crisis, which I'm sure will be coming soon to a life near you .... :boggle:

Anyway, in this case it was Starbuck's Java Chip. On the back porch. With a spoon. And a trashy murder novel.

When you can't cope ... don't cope. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.