Worst Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bassoonistling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bassoonistling »

No one can name the best whistle because different people like different whistles... I was wondering if anyone could name the worst whistles... or just bad whistles...
Whistling is to Boredom as Kryptonite is to Superman
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Feadogs have to be right up there, I'd think. The VSB Susato is probably the worst when cost is factored in.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

My Feadogs are excellent after my tweaking, and are the best factory whistles in existence after O'Briain tweaks them. I'd have to say the worst would be a tie between the off-the-shelf Clarke originals and the Doolins. Oh, and of course the 2 Oaks weren't bad except they included a bee that lived in the fipple and wouldn't stop buzzing no matter how much I played.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blackhawk on 2002-08-04 19:29 ]</font>
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

A suggestion... Besides just <I>naming</I> the worst whistles, it would be helpful to have a a comment or two about <I>why</I> they are the worst. E.g., too chiffy, too loud, too soft, sounds like a recorder, etc. Someone might really like a certain whistle for the same reason that another person hates it.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I can only comment on the whistles I have. The worst is my Walton's LBW because it's too harsh and metallic sounding and out of tune with itself. I still play it some though. It weighs practically nothing, so I take it along on hikes and backpacking trips. Could come in handy if I lose a tent stake.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ridseard on 2002-08-04 00:04 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-03 23:45, Ridseard wrote:
A suggestion... Besides just <I>naming</I> the worst whistles, it would be helpful to have a a comment or two about <I>why</I> they are the worst. E.g., too chiffy, too loud, too soft, sounds like a recorder, etc. Someone might really like a certain whistle for the same reason that another person hates it.
Valid point. On the two whistles I named, they simply wouldn't play. No matter which note I hit, the sound was the same. I could go all the way up and down the scale, and the tone never changed. I hate that in a whistle. :smile: And I had sticky-tacked the Doolin, so it should have improved. The Oaks, of course had the bee problem.

I can handle lots of differences in whistles. In fact, that's what makes it interesting to get an example of each brand. But they have to make a recognizable sound of some sort.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blackhawk on 2002-08-04 19:31 ]</font>
psychih
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by psychih »

I guess the Feadóg? I had to literally change the fipple because the one it came with hurt my ears so bad. I have a Waltons LBW as well...and it's *really* prone to getting hit by all sorts of accidents which leaves it dented and out of shape! So Ridseard, I'm wondering how you manage to take it hiking & backpacking with you :smile:
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I also have a truly horrible Feadog.

Is "Fea" Irish gaelic for "sounds like a" ?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Well, my Feadog was ok... not great, but ok. The worst whistle I've ever owned was my Weltmeister. Horribly out of tune. *shudders*

However, my Doolin and my Clarkes are the best ones I have.

Personally, I think it depends on personal preference.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I feel that I have to say something regarding the much-maligned Feadóg. I tried and failed to get the mouthpiece off in order to put the sticky stuff into the cavity. I did manage find a strategem to dull the blade ever so slightly with very fine sandpaper (don't try that at home). It now plays like a dream, but there's a slight (!) problem with the upper half of the second octave. It is shrill to the point that I fear damage to my eardrums. Nonetheless, the response of this instrument is so profoundly good that it has become my favored instrument for daytime practice. Moreover, the patina developing around the fingerholes is almost seductive.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Any whistle that just outright refuses to play is the worst as far as I'm concerned. The plastic whistles mrketed by <i>First Note</i> is among the worst. If they do play, they are out of tune even with themselves.

If you mean what is the worst among major whistle brands, I haven't tried enough of them to know. I was favorably impressed with Clarke, Soodlum/Walton's, Sweetone, and Golden Tone. In fact, my Soodlum D is a great whistle.
Reasonable person
Walden
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Maybe the worst: The first generation, so to speak, of Acorns. Mercifully, they are now majorly improved.

Dale
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

In any case, I'm not surprised to find somebody mentioned the VSB Susato. I think they're great...but, back in the old days I did a poll about the inexpensive whistles and Susato had the largest number of votes in the best category and either the largest or next to the largest number of votes in the worst category! The Oak is another love-it-or-hate it whistle

Dale
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Ha Ha, I have to say that my pitiful little Cooperman is the worst! That block of wood I guess is the fipple?! Yet it is so charming! The little pricks of metel splinters along the seam sticking in your thumbs kind of helps to get enough air to hit those upper octaves! And if you forget to floss you could always use the point of the fipple to... well, you get the picture! Apologies to the Cooperman Company People in Connecticut. But if it makes them feel any better, It played better this morning than it ever has before so no! I will not give it away! It's mine, mine, All mine! WhOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I second the Cooperman. . .I have half a mind to sand down the block of wood that resembles a fipple, coat it with nail polish and see if it improves in my standing... but why bother?

Close second in the Susato VSB. What a wretched sound, and no way to tweak it as far as I can tell. Maybe if I sand the blade?

For those of you who named the Feadog (my understanding of the pronounciation is Feh doge) can you say which version? I have a Mark I that I was so fond of that I had my friend go back and get me two more!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe