Good CD's to listen to

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Another Whistler

Post by Another Whistler »

What are some realy good whistle players that have CD's available? Are there any that you would realy recomend hearing?
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

One of my favorites is by someone I've never heard talked about here before: Martina Bree. She has a CD called the Winding Road. Another very good player is Gavin Whelan. I particularly like Micho Russel, but if you like pure music, you might not like his CDs. He does a lot of storytelling. For low whistles and pipes, my favorite is Eoin Duignan. For an ensemble that includes whistling I like Lothlorien, available at Mp3.com. The others can be had at Custy's.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Hi, i can recommend some of my personal favourites;Mary Bergin;'FEADOGA STAIN 1' and the follow up, 'Feadoga stain 2'(i prefer '1',as it sounds more 'trad',less 'studio arranged'),Sean Ryan;'Siuil Uait/TAKE THE AIR', Brian Hughes'Whistlestop',Paddy Maloney & Sean Potts;'Tin whistles',Margaret and MICHAEL Dwyer'na DAOINE ATA IMITHE',ANYTHING by Micho Russell.All of these albums are specifically whistle,with varying accompaniment.These are all albums i enjoy,but i can learn from them as well!Happy listening!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kevin m. on 2002-08-02 14:04 ]</font>
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

Bill Ochs has learning CD called Advanced Beginner Tin Whistle that he uses in his whistle class. When used with the transcribe program to adjust the speed they are a great learning tool. Each tune is broken down into phrases, you set your cd player to repeat the tract and play it over and over until you get it.
If you cannot take one of his classes you might want to try and persuade him to sell you a copy.
You can reach him at the pennywhistle press.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Moloney/Potts _Tim Whistles_ is a must-have whistle duet album.

Loretto Reid _Celtic Mettle_ is not all whistle, but what whistle it has is absolutely terrific.

Seamus Tansey _Words and Music: Phantom Shadows of a Connaught Fire Light_ is a three CD set, mostly flute and stories, but there are 8 or so whistle tracks that are really, really, really good.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Moloney/Potts _Tim Whistles_ is a must-have whistle duet album.

Loretto Reid _Celtic Mettle_ is not all whistle, but what whistle it has is absolutely terrific.

Seamus Tansey _Words and Music: Phantom Shadows of a Connaught Fire Light_ is a three CD set, mostly flute and stories, but there are 8 or so whistle tracks that are really, really, really good.
Paul Anderson

Post by Paul Anderson »

See if you can find a copy of Mike McHale's "The Schoolmaster's House". It was released about two years ago. Mike is, I believe, a Roscommon man who lives in Catskill, N.Y. and plays whistle and flute on this album. His only backing is provided by Cherish the Ladies' Mary Coogan and she's dead on. Nothing exotic on this recording, just brilliant trad music.
douga

Post by douga »

A few of my favorites. Be warned, these are not 100% whistle, but there are great whistle tracks on them.

Laurence Nugent, Traditional Irish Music on Flute and tin-whistle.

Various Artists, Light Through the Leaves: Traditional Irish Wind Instrumentals. Only five whistle cuts; there are six flute tracks and five tunes on uilleann pipes. But it's such a great CD I couldn't resist recommending it.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I'd say:

The Tidy Cottage- Turlach Boylan; I know this is an Irish Flute recording, but the music is so good, it's well worth Hearing.

Song of the Irish Whistle- Joanie Madden

Anything by The Chieftains is good.

In My opinion, these give you a good feel to the Irish/celtic music genre, and some technical aspects as well. Turlach Boylan is wonderful to listen to if you want to find out how he plays a certain tune stylistically.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

No universal agreement at this Forum but I always post "The Frost Is All Over" by Paul McGrattan because of a stunning whistle medley (Christmas Eve, Old Bush, Scholar) and very advanced phrasing in terms of nuance, breath, rolls, etc. Its mostly flute but all applicable.

A great record to whistle along with because its just McG and a guitarist for the most part and the harmony part is very light.

Whether you ultimately agree with his interpretations (speed, etc) or not, they are very clear on this record. I carry his tunes in my head whenever I approach a new reel because it helps me phrase them. plenty of reel "swing". I don't know if he is some kind of true "Dublin" style or not but its a tangible style that he plays within.
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

A couple of CD's by Gordon Tyrall. He plays whistle and flute. Also, plays guitar for his own backup. The first CD is "Five Mile Chase" the other is "Banish Misfortune". Between the two he plays 101 session tunes and has a book to go along with it. Great to learn from and a good listen also. Available from Tayberry Music.

I also have two CD's from Mike and Mary Rafferty. "The Dangerous Reel" and "The Road to Ballinakill".
colomon

Post by colomon »

On 2002-08-02 22:52, Paul Anderson wrote:
See if you can find a copy of Mike McHale's "The Schoolmaster's House". It was released about two years ago. Mike is, I believe, a Roscommon man who lives in Catskill, N.Y. and plays whistle and flute on this album. His only backing is provided by Cherish the Ladies' Mary Coogan and she's dead on. Nothing exotic on this recording, just brilliant trad music.
Any idea how to get this? I've heard of it before and wanted it.
Paul Anderson

Post by Paul Anderson »

Coloman,
Mike McHale's CD may be available from Ossian in New Hampshire (www.ossianusa.com). If not ask Marylou or Charley if they know who puts it out. My copy is out on loan at the moment. When I get it back I'll look up the label info etc. You could also try dialing directory assistance at area code 518 and ask them if Mike is listed in Catskill, N.Y. Stranger things have happened. Another one I forgot to mention is one I found in the bargain bin of a Belfast record shop last year. It's called "Pure Traditional Irish tin whistle music" by tom McHale. It's put out by Outlet Records, 15/21 Gordon St., Belfast, N. Ireland BT1 2LG.
colomon

Post by colomon »

Thanks!
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I am also (of course) a big Mary Bergin fan...I also really like Frankie Gavin's whistle playing, although I don't know of any recordings that he made where he just plays whistle. He plays a nice whistle set on that recording he made with Alec Finn in the 70's.