Practice chanter- breathing question from a newbie

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Greg The Pianotuner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Practice chanter- breathing question from a newbie

Post by Greg The Pianotuner »

Hello, friends. My first post here.

I am learning the Brown Haired Maiden from the "green book", on my practice chanter. Where and how often do you breathe? I can get to the end of the first four bars on one breath, but I don't think that will carry over well to the full pipes.

Advice appreciated!
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

The green book gives advice on where to breathe, doesn't it? I don't remember, I kinda stopped going through that :oops:

Also, remember that whe nyou're playing pipes, it keeps on playing while you're breathing. There are no stops. The breath for the reeds comes from teh bag, not your mouth, you just supply the bag with air. So where to breathe isn't an issues as much as... breathing in general :boggle:
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

On practice chanter you breathe when you need to. As was mentioned, on the pipes you have the bag so blowing is more of a question of maintaining the tone.

I know several pipers who have learned to use circular, or protracted, breathing on their practice chanters.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

AaronMalcomb wrote: I know several pipers who have learned to use circular, or protracted, breathing on their practice chanters.
for the sole purpose of impressing their bandmates!! :D :)

If I were at this point, beginning once again, knowing what I do now about the GHB,
I'd breathe according the the phrasing of the tune. Most learner marches are what, 8 or 4 bar phrases? There ya go.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I considered suggesting phrases but then thought about when beginners first blow the bagpipe they often try and blow like they would on practice chanter and forget to squeeze the bag. Plus the pattern of blowing, breathing and squeezing can change depending on reeds and requirements of the tune like blowing through long notes etc.

But presumably/hopefully Greg will have a teacher by the time he hits the pipes.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

AaronMalcomb wrote: But presumably/hopefully Greg will have a teacher by the time he hits the pipes.
yeah, that' s what ya really gotta do: even with a musical background, there's myriad details that are best set right under tutelage of an experienced instructor.
Cause once something's learned wrong; it takes forever to unlearn it again! (I have this bastardized version of 'Wearin o' the Green' firmly ensconced in my brain from 20 years ago...no matter how hard I try, it just wont go!)
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

duplicate post deleted
Last edited by CHasR on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

If you're in the green book (Shameless MacNeill), count four measures in on the first line and you'll see a tap between E's. Take a breath after the 2nd E and right before the high G doubling. Once you get on the pipes, it won't matter quite so much as long as you're keeping good tone. As said before, get thee to a teacher.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.