sticking with one whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Since picking up my first whistle in February, a Walton, I have played most of the other brands. After a week or two with the Walton, I switched to a Sweetone, which became my number one whistle for a few months. Like anyone else afflicted with WhOA, I bought most of the other brands, just to see what they sounded like. Once I discovered the O'Briain/Feadog, I played it more than any other, but still went back to the Clares, Gens, etc, because I enjoyed the variety of sounds you get with different whistles. Lately, though, I've noticed that other whistles feel alien in my hands, and my fingers miss holes that are in a slightly different place than on my O'Briain. It's dawning on me that for me to play well, I'm going to have to stick to one whistle, at least until my talent level rises to where I can play anything I pick up. Ironically, just today I read for the first time L.E. McCullough's whistle obituary. Maybe I'm forming a bond with my whistle like that...I don't know. I guess if it keeps up, I'll have to sign on to that other thread and give my O'Briain/Feadog a name.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

I'm glad you asked that question, because I've been wondering about the same thing. I've been gravitating more and more to my Feadóg (original) and Acorn (drastically tweaked/mutilated) because they have almost identical hole size and placement. I still have some variety, because the modified Acorn is very soft and sweet, while the Feadóg is somewhat strident (yet having a certain rustic charm all it's own).
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

The whistle I reach for 95% of the time is my laughing. I bought it for the low volume, but its sweet tone and great range makes it perfect. It's quiet but was still able to make itself heard in a session last week. Loud enough to be heard but quiet enough not to be glaringly obvious when I make a mistake. =)

The other whistles in my travel bag are a dixon pvc, doolin 2 piece, two brass hoovers and a meg.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Actually I do have to say, my Hoover will never be displaced. It fills a special need.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I do tend to find myself gravitating toward one special whistle (currently, like you, my O'Briain/Feadog). I also, however, resist the temptation to give that one current favorite all my playing time. I don't want to get stuck in the rut of only being able to play well on a particular instrument. Actually, while the O'Briain is my main "practice" whistle at the moment (and thus lives downstairs on top of the piano with my music books), I make a point of keeping a different whistle by the computer, another in my car glove box and yet another in my purse...all for playing whenever the mood strikes. I also try to spend about a third of my practice time on a whistle other than the O'Briain. I'll do some warmups, play for a while, then switch to another whistle, do some more warmups (to get used to the different spacing and hole sizes) and play some more. Keeps me flexible :smile:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Redwolf,

Do you play whistles in more than one key?

I've been playing D, C, Bb, A, low F and Low D in the past few weeks, and find no trouble adjusting to the hole placement. The only whistle that gave me pause was a Meg in C, because the 6th hole and the conical bore were unusual. But generally I have no trouble.

I'm not suggesting I'm experienced enough to switch whistles at random though, maybe the tunes I'm playing are easier and I have more time to think about the whistles themselves.

Interesting...IN terms of a favourite whistle, I tend to switch every couple of weeks, maybe to get a different sound or feel to the same tune.

atb, Mad Dog Milner
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Yup...I have whistles in D, Eb and F, although the difference in keys isn't as big a factor as the difference in type. For example, switching between the O'Briain/Feadog, with its slender tube, smallish holes and low breath requirements and the Susato, which is not only bigger overall (despite being in the same key), but has larger holes, a different mouthpiece, and different breath requirements, takes a bit of "limbering up" on my part.

Oddly, I find that switching between my recorder and my whistles is not so big a deal, despite the completely different fingering. Maybe the radically different feel of the instruments toggles the "recorder/whistle" switch in my brain. :smile:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

I generally find that I need to spend a couple of minutes (at least) with a whistle to "re-familiarize" myself with it prior to being able to play it successfully. There are issues of fingering, breath control, muscles which control the mouth and shape of the throat, angle at which the whistle is held (and thus at which the wind enters the instrument), among others. I would guess that there are "whole body memories" which occur and are somewhat different for each whistle, including those made by the same folk (and even the same key and model from the same maker.)
On a similar note, I have an alto saxophone which was purchased new around 1967, and I've been playing it since, using the same mouthpiece since about 1972. There can definitely be a "bond" that forms with an individual instrument, and the ability to vary expression on it increases with time.
Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing;
praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Blackhawk(and all)i'm as guilty as any on this board of 'chopping and changing' whistles- a definate side effect of uncontrolled whoa!Though I agree that there are good reasons for sticking with a favourite whistle,as some of you have already stated.Coincidentally,this thought crossed my mind last night,as i listened to Sean Potts play on the 'Bakerswell' album(recently re-issued,and very enjoyable it is too).To my knowledge,Sean has always stuck with a trusty Generation 'bluetop'- unless, of course,he's recently done a 'Mary Bergin'and secretly switched allegiance to a Sindt(LOL)!! edited for typo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kevin m. on 2002-07-29 14:44 ]</font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I find that I always either play my Doolin or my Clarke Orig. Once in a while I'll play my Susato or Weltmeister or Feadog for a change in sound/texture, or if I need a change in the Vol....

Although I never have really had a prob. with switching whistles... Although the Susato does take a few minutes of scales to get used to the air req. and idiosyncrasies of it...
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-29 15:38, The Whistling Elf wrote:
I find that I always either play my Doolin or my Clarke Orig. Once in a while I'll play my Susato or Weltmeister or Feadog for a change in sound/texture, or if I need a change in the Vol....

Although I never have really had a prob. with switching whistles... Although the Susato does take a few minutes of scales to get used to the air req. and idiosyncrasies of it...
It's probably just my inexperience.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I agree with you, Blackhawk. I would rather learn a tune on a whistle I'm comfortable with, which usually means my Sweettone or my Dixon. It's too fussy to go back and forth. I'm glad to have a couple extra whistles, but I don't play them like I play the former. Although, one of these days I will be fabulous on my wood Sweet whistle. (Insert mocking laughter)
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon