A.C. Overton, a fine musician

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A.C. Overton, a fine musician

Post by crookedtune »

Not sure how many fans of oldtime country music are out there, but I wanted to pay tribute to a friend of mine, from Raleigh, NC, who passed away on Friday. A.C. was a fine man and a remarkable banjo player -- a true original. He will be missed.

His obituary reads as follows:
"Overton Jr., Aaron C. "A.C."
"DECEMBER 22, 1926 - JULY 27, 2007
"Aaron Chaucley "A. C." Overton, Jr., 80, son of Aaron C. Overton, Sr. and Ruth Hunt Overton went home to be with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Friday. A.C. was born in Chatham County in 1926, and was nationally known for his unique two-finger style of banjo picking. He has preformed at many festivals around the country, he participated in the National Banjo Institute in Tennessee, and has taught workshops in numerous elementary schools as well as college institutions. In 1992, he was presented the North Carolina Folklife Heritage Award. Many have been influenced by his talents and "giving spirit" as he and his wife of 59 years, Ava Goodwin Overton, opened their home to anyone who wanted to play music or just enjoy good Christian fellowship and food.
Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. on Monday, July 30, 2007, at Ebenezer United Methodist Church, 6020 Rock Quarry Road, Raleigh. Burial will follow at Pinecrest Memorial Park, Clayton.
"Surviving: wife, Ava Goodwin Overton; daughter, Glenda Overton Montague and her husband, Bert; son, Gerry Overton and his wife, Sharron; grandchildren, Sarah Montague Dodson and her husband, Chris, Joshua Montague, Erin Overton, Hannah Overton; great-grandchild, Caleb Dodson; sisters, Violet Mills and Evelyn Dawson.
A.C. was preceded in death by his parents, brothers, Aaron N., Jap and Jiggs Overton and sister, Edith Franklin.
The family will receive relatives and friends 4:00-6:00 p.m. Sunday at Bryan-Lee Funeral Home, Garner.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to: Ebenezer United Methodist Church, 6020 Rock Quarry Road, Raleigh, NC, 27610.
"Condolences may be made to the family at www.bryan-leefuneralhome.com"
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Well, since we are (or should I say, I am) discussing oldtime music from Raleigh, NC, here's a video of one of our best young bands, the "Carolina Chocolate Drops". These guys are very much alive, and they're hot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLRCSOZ7wo
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde