Abell D Whistle for sale on EBay

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hmartley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I wanted to post my whistle that’s for sale. I hope this is OK, I haven’t posted for a long time.

Post by hmartley »

Hello Whistleistas. My Chris Abell blackwood D whistle is for sale on EBay. Excellent condition, with case. Auction ends 8/2. Must sell to pay for incoming flutes. Thanks for looking!

Heather
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-26 16:23, hmartley wrote:
Hello Whistleistas. My Chris Abell blackwood D whistle is for sale on EBay. Excellent condition, with case. Auction ends 8/2. Must sell to pay for incoming flutes. Thanks for looking!

Heather
Got a link for it, to save us time finding it? :smile:
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've got a Blackwood Abell in D. It gets over 90% of my practice time. That's what I think of it.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Nice whistle! I played one at John Sindt's shop, and liked it a lot.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... =896092436
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Thanks, Paul. Did Hasidic Kokopelli arrive yet? :smile:
chas

Post by chas »

As opposed to Tony, the Abell D is probably the high-end whistle I play the least. I actually picked it up for the first time in a month or so the other night, and my opinion's changed somewhat. The things I like about it are the craftsmanship (it's stunningly beautiful, and it just screams quality woodwork) and the ease of play -- the octave breaks can almost be made psychically.

I just don't like the sound of it, though. To me it almost sounds like a high-end Clarke or Shaw -- very breathy (it also takes a LOT more breath to playt than any of my other wooden whistles). Also, the flat end to the mouthpiece is kind of odd. I was told when I got this whistle that it still needed time to "play in," ie, come into its sound. Does anyone have any experience with the sound of Abells changing with age?

I hope this isn't being taken as negative comments, nor that I'm making anyone shy away from bidding. (Notice that I'm not putting my Abell up for auction.)

Charlie
chas

Post by chas »

As opposed to Tony, the Abell D is probably the high-end whistle I play the least. I actually picked it up for the first time in a month or so the other night, and my opinion's changed somewhat. The things I like about it are the craftsmanship (it's stunningly beautiful, and it just screams quality woodwork) and the ease of play -- the octave breaks can almost be made psychically.

I just don't like the sound of it, though. To me it almost sounds like a high-end Clarke or Shaw -- very breathy (it also takes a LOT more breath to playt than any of my other wooden whistles). Also, the flat end to the mouthpiece is kind of odd. I was told when I got this whistle that it still needed time to "play in," ie, come into its sound. Does anyone have any experience with the sound of Abells changing with age?

I hope this isn't being taken as negative comments, nor that I'm making anyone shy away from bidding. (Notice that I'm not putting my Abell up for auction.)

Charlie
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Charlie,

That Abell of yours is obviously a lemon, however since I'm you're friend, I'll spare you the burden of suffering it - just go ahead and send it to me, perhaps my Madagascar Rosewood Abell can teach it some manners :lol:

Loren
hmartley
Tell us something.: Hi, I wanted to post my whistle that’s for sale. I hope this is OK, I haven’t posted for a long time.

Post by hmartley »

Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =896092436

Also, please e-mail me with any questions. Thanks!
WistleEnvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WistleEnvy »

Letting go an Abell whistle and a Healy flute in the same week??

Loren, I think this is catching.

That must be some flute you have coming :smile:
hmartley

Post by hmartley »

Yeah - it's a Hammy. A bit later a Peter Noy...and a few months later an Olwell. All keyless. I can't decide on a flute until I've played it for a while. I've gone through a number of flutes in this manner already. If a flute isn't "the one" I sell it (note: I never make a profit, in fact I've only broken even once, so I'm not ripping off any of the makers by doing this).

My car is 16 years old, and I live in 1 room - but I have nice flutes! :smile: Flute Acquisition Disorder is strong - beware its power!

Heather
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-07-28 08:10, hmartley wrote:

My car is 16 years old, and I live in 1 room - but I have nice flutes! :smile: Flute Acquisition Disorder is strong - beware its power!

Heather

Glad to see someone else here has their priorities strait! :lol:

Well, you've got three fanatastic flutes on the way, it's going to be tough to give two of them up I imagine.....

Loren