Séamus Ennis series on The Rolling Wave

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Séamus Ennis series on The Rolling Wave

Post by Jumper »

In the month of August Peter Browne will host a 4-part radio series exploring the life and music of Séamus Ennis on his Wednesday RTÉ Radio weekly program "The Rolling Wave."
Programme 44: 1st August
The Séamus Ennis Story. The Early Years. Part 1 of a 4 part documentary series to mark the 25th anniversary of the death in 1982 of the famous uilleann piper, singer, music collector and broadcaster.

Programme 45: 8th August
The Séamus Ennis Story. The Collector. Part 2 of a 4 part documentary series to mark the 25th anniversary of the death in 1982 of the famous uilleann piper, singer, music collector and broadcaster.

Programme 46: 15th August
The Séamus Ennis Story. Ennis of Miltown Malbay. Part 3 of a 4 part documentary series to mark the 25th anniversary of the death in 1982 of the famous uilleann piper, singer, music collector and broadcaster.

Programme 47: 22nd August
The Séamus Ennis Story. Our Father, Séamus Ennis. Part 4 of a 4 part documentary series to mark the 25th anniversary of the death in 1982 of the famous uilleann piper, singer, music collector and broadcaster.
Archived online after each broadcast at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/therollingwave/1105589.html
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Does it say anywhere how the four parts are themed?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

This will be a rebroadcast of a program Browne made in the 80s or early 90s? Nothing new for him to produce in other words, slacker! RTE used to sell it as a 2-cassette piece. It's pretty cool, some clips that wound up on Return From Fingal, and others that haven't been reissued, like Cawley's Reel, aka the Dairymaid. Interviews with all sorts of people, like Liam O'Flynn demonstrating how Seamus played Valencia Harbor, and talking about Seamus playing Liam's Rowsome set, and how the Ennis sound came out anyway.
djm

Post by djm »

If its the same series that will be great. The 2-cassette pack hasn't been available for a long time, so it will be great to pick up digitally. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
michael

Post by michael »

Hi,
If anyone is interested, I have the original boxed 2 cassette's of the the "Seamus Ennis Story" series. I am willing to sell these at reasonable cost (£20 UK pounds) plus postage if anyone is interested. They are in "as new" condition.
Regards,
Micheal
true gods of sound and stone
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:This will be a rebroadcast of a program Browne made in the 80s or early 90s?
Right. First broadcast in April 1988.

The first episode is now available. Look for Programme 44 near the bottom of the page. Starts at about 5:50 in, and runs about 40 minutes.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...