The Open

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Open

Post by chrisoff »

Anyone watching The Open this week? Looks like the course has been made nicer this time round so there'll be less greeting Americans at the end of it. :D

(god knows what some of these pros would make of a proper links course that hasn't been tidied up and made pretty for them)

Doesn't look like Paul Lawrie has much chance of repeating his feet of 1999 unfortunately but Sergio Garcia, Paul McGinley and a few other Europeans appear to be putting in a good effort so far.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

watch golf.....watch paint dry......watch grass grow......

decisions, decisions..... :-?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Which "The Open" are you referring to? I had a big opening, once. Lots of people came to see my big opening. Actually, come to think of it, they were all doctors. Well, anyway, they sure were impressed. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

djm wrote:Which "The Open" are you referring to? I had a big opening, once. Lots of people came to see my big opening. Actually, come to think of it, they were all doctors. Well, anyway, they sure were impressed. :o

djm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Championship
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, but, :sleep:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

djm wrote: :sleep: djm
Wasn't that your reaction to your big opening too?

(Sorry guys, as you were-- back to golf)
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep!!! but you should see him closein' :D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"A good walk spoiled" - Mark Twain.

Sorry, Chrisoff.

I liked Bruntsfield Links, where they don't mind you playing with one hand in your pocket. Just in case of pickpockets, ye ken.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Do they use Swiss balls in any of these tournaments? :-?
:lol:
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

No! They're Titlest balls :tomato:

Sorry! I meant Titleist!

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

crookedtune wrote:watch golf.....watch paint dry......watch grass grow......

decisions, decisions..... :-?
No contest. I'll watch the grass. Or the paint if the grass is taken.

djm wrote:Sorry, but, :sleep: ...
:sleep: doesn't even come close...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Caroluna

Re: The Open

Post by Caroluna »

chrisoff wrote:Anyone watching The Open this week? Looks like the course has been made nicer this time round so there'll be less greeting Americans at the end of it. :D
There's some serious golfers in my family. They get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Strategy, skill, an ongoing challenge to improve, and you're outside in the fresh air. More power to 'em :)

Sorry, what am I doing on this thread? Just blundered in...
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I'll confess, I am sure to watch bits of the British Open. Tiger Woods and the attention he draws makes for compelling golf.
brianc

Post by brianc »

chrisoff wrote:Anyone watching The Open this week? Looks like the course has been made nicer this time round so there'll be less greeting Americans at the end of it. :D

(god knows what some of these pros would make of a proper links course that hasn't been tidied up and made pretty for them)

Doesn't look like Paul Lawrie has much chance of repeating his feet of 1999 unfortunately but Sergio Garcia, Paul McGinley and a few other Europeans appear to be putting in a good effort so far.
The Golf Channel has been showing replays (nearly ad nauseum) of Van de Velde's epic collapse in 1999 at Carnoustie. It was painful to watch it then - even worse now.

Campbell seemed to be going well, then Sergio had his hot streak on the back - very nearly 5 birdies in a row! But I don't look for Sergio to finish in the top 5 by Sunday, though. He's done this before - out of the gate like a shot, and nowhere to be seen at the end. Then of course, there's Tiger. "Only" 2 under today... just 4 back. He'll be there. Now that the baby's been born, and all's well in Tigerland, he'll reckon in the top bracket.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

brianc wrote:

The Golf Channel has been showing replays (nearly ad nauseum) of Van de Velde's epic collapse in 1999 at Carnoustie. It was painful to watch it then - even worse now.

Campbell seemed to be going well, then Sergio had his hot streak on the back - very nearly 5 birdies in a row! But I don't look for Sergio to finish in the top 5 by Sunday, though. He's done this before - out of the gate like a shot, and nowhere to be seen at the end. Then of course, there's Tiger. "Only" 2 under today... just 4 back. He'll be there. Now that the baby's been born, and all's well in Tigerland, he'll reckon in the top bracket.
I'm just going to ignore everyone else in this thread (do I go into threads I'm not interested in just to show how much the subject bores me? seems very rude to me).

Sergio does have a bad habit of this. I can see his usual putting atrocities rearing their head over the next few days, hopefully not though as I'd love to see him win it.

Tiger will always be the one to beat as long as he's within sight of the leaders. 2 under gives him a solid foundation. The good news for everyone else is that there is heavy rain predicted for Saturday, and that's what destroyed his round last time at Carnoustie.

If I wasn't suffering from bad hayfever this week I might have been tempted to head down. It's only an hour away by car, but unfortunately last time I went to The Open I ended up spending most of the day in that car and listening to the radio. After half an hour of walking round nothing but freshly cut grass I couldn't see a thing cause my eyes were so itchy and red :(