Harry Bradley Lessons: From the Frontline

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JeffS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Harry Bradley Lessons: From the Frontline

Post by JeffS »

The following is an unsolicited critique of Harry Bradley's online flute lesson program. Take it for what it's worth.

In the Irish flute world the instructor's credentials are fantasitc. A simple google search will verify that fact. Harry will offer personalized feedback via MP3 exchange. How cool is that!? A true pro listening to your stuff, telling you what he thinks, and then offering you specific feedback about how to get better. I also like that he doesn't sugar coat feedback. He'll use adjectives such as "weak" to describe your tone (if applicable). He cuts right to the chase. I find that refreshing (though perhaps hard on the ego).

Harry offers an audio only, file exchange type of flute lesson. He avoids the technological hurdles that the Scoiltroid program had in that it's in a relatively Simple audio exchange format. I took several scoiltrad lessons and I can't help but to wonder if part of the failure of that program was in the technogical realm. In Harry's program, you listen to an MP3, you practice, you then submit an MP3.

I know Harry is a member here and that since this is a very new service things may change. At this point, however I would recommend his tutoring program for anyone wanting to learn the Irish flute.

Cheers,
Jeff
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Speaking of the technological aspect of this tutoring, I, too, contacted Harry B for info about the distance lessons, and am still considering it. However, there is one aspect of personalized flute instruction that cannot be broached with this format, and that is the physical and visual. Sure, I may get a certain sound out, and Harry can tell me that this sound is not good, and that sound is OK, but could be better, but the ergonomic aspects of this physically demanding instrument cannot be denied. So, how's about instead of an mp3 exchange, using a video exchange instead? Of course the technical hurdles for this are quite a step above passing mp3 files back and forth; not the least of which is the fact that fewer folks have the ability to record video with high enough resolution to allow a teacher to accurately critique what a student's hands, arms and fingers are up to, but isn't that aspect hugely important? Possibly for HB Lessons version 2.0?

P.S. This could be just the excuse I need to purchase a high-quality digital video unit. Tell my wife I need one ...
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
upooper

Post by upooper »

try skype.com most of the video hurdles have been breached, though it's broadband dependant. i've heard that several people are doing lessons via this methodology. alots changed since scoiltrad, the concepts good but i'd say your always better off doing lessons interpersonally versus virtually, regardless of the players notoriety, it's more human, but ymmv.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

I tried taking some lessons via Skype on another instrument and found the medium glitchy and a bit weird at best.

I don't have the time/ inclination to be bound to specific lessons times (as live Skype lessons would demand) so I find this format more relaxed and focused: I can listen to/ consider the student's sound files for a period of time before I record their lesson, and they can consider my stuff in their own sweet time before they respond to me.

Besides, I generally like to get through quite a lot per lesson, and this format allows students to review lessons easily and repeatedly to their heart's distraction.

Posture etc. is easy: RELAX, BUT DON'T SLOUCH! HOLD THE FLUTE SO IT DOESN'T FALL! (and most importantly...)STOP WHINING!

Regards,

H.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I haven't been to many Fleadhs, but none of my teachers stared firmly at us watching or correcting our posture. They rather listened to us, trying to spot relevant issues with a concentrate look at the space.

Hey, you were listening, weren't you? :lol:

Well, to tell the truth, Breandan O'Hare once told me "Ough...you should...well, if you're all right, it's fine."

Etided for spellnig
Last edited by Sylvester on Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

Harry wrote:...RELAX ...HOLD THE FLUTE SO IT DOESN'T FALL! ...STOP WHINING!
Gotta love it !

...john