effect of lip at staple eye ???

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

effect of lip at staple eye ???

Post by rorybbellows »

I,ve read that in the "musical tube" there should be no lips or edges that will cause negative effects on the sound .and seeing that the staple eye is the start of the musical tube. Do you do anything to reduce the lip formed by the thickness of the staple metal at the eye,
or does this lip not have any effect ??

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

rather, isnt it proper practice to gouge the cane (where the staple lies) to exactly the right depth so the staple interior is flush with the cane surface? yaknowwhaddimean? or am I incorrect here?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

The inner edge of the staple at both ends should be cleaned to ensure there is no burr that might cause reflections.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
billh

Post by billh »

CHasR wrote:rather, isnt it proper practice to gouge the cane (where the staple lies) to exactly the right depth so the staple interior is flush with the cane surface? yaknowwhaddimean? or am I incorrect here?
No, this isn't by any means standard procedure. Maybe one or two reedmakers do this but even those I know of who "gouge a chamber" don't do it this way.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

So, gouging a little deeper in the centre of the slip up to a scored line accross the cane grain (approx right where the 'straight' part of the reed head begins) so the staple fits comfortably is an unnessecary step?
(p.s. : Im not trying to argue with you, just making certain we're both talking about the same thing...wish I had a picture!) :)
billh

Post by billh »

Many reedmaking methods involve thinning the tails.

However, the goal is not to make the inside of the staple "flush" with the inside of the reed at the junction. In fact doing so will make the flat-tending second octave E worse on most concert pitch chanters.

There are many variations on the thinning of the tails/"carving a chamber" techniques; they have in common the fact that the reed slip doesn't stay a uniform thickness crescent over its entire length.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

...not to mention it does minimize cracking when tying on.

recenlty...i've noticed that the shape of the tails has a dramatic affect on how quickly (and if) the sides close when tying.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Brazenkaine wrote:...not to mention it does minimize cracking when tying on.

recenlty...i've noticed that the shape of the tails has a dramatic affect on how quickly (and if) the sides close when tying.
took the words right out of my mouth!
THANKS Billh