regulator mania

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

regulator mania

Post by tin tin »

Sorry for the alarmist topic title...

A friend of mine plays harmonium, and I think regulator style playing on the harmonium could sound kind of groovy. I'm wondering which pipers use the regs the most, to serve as a model.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Leo Rowsome.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Tintin why don't ye just learn to play the regulators :boggle: it would be much easier than tying your friend and the harmonium to your set now wouldn't it?
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin's first recording (Gael Linn CEF 046) had a couple of tracks (The Salamanca a la Tommy Reck and, I think, Jockey to the Fair) played on harmonium , with "regulator" accompaniment.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilliam wrote: it would be much easier than tying your friend and the harmonium to your set now wouldn't it?
Uilliam
We live in the twenty first century now Uilliam, we have Krazy Glue for that sort of thing. :P
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Uilliam wrote:Tintin why don't ye just learn to play the regulators :boggle: it would be much easier than tying your friend and the harmonium to your set now wouldn't it?
Uilliam
In theory, you're right, but my chanter is a flute.
(Now I've blown my cover...I will retreat back to the flute forum where I belong.)

Thanks for the recording recommendations.
djm

Post by djm »

I feel so .... so ..... violated! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Yes, next time you post on the uilleann board, mon ami Tintin, please do us all a favor and dose us up with Rohypnol.

But didn't you ask about playing on the harmonium and using simple perhaps rhythmic chordal accompaniment on the harmonium? Or were you asking about someone playing UP with regs with someone else playing harmonium?

Stuart
brianc

Post by brianc »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Uilliam wrote: it would be much easier than tying your friend and the harmonium to your set now wouldn't it?
Uilliam
We live in the twenty first century now Uilliam, we have Krazy Glue for that sort of thing. :P

A thousand and one uses...

... now a thousand and two.
somethingclever

two words

Post by somethingclever »

one name comes to mind when i hear "regulators"

Mikie Smyth

go to his web page or to the dutch pipers club home page and youll get as much regulator as you can handle.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Uilliam
But that wouldnae be traditional now if ye use this......

A sticky fingerprint on a fossilised blob of wood is firing the debate over how intelligent Neanderthals were.

The discovery suggests the ancient hunter-gatherers made tools by sticking stone heads to wooden handles with glue.

Neanderthals must have possessed a high degree of technical and manual abilities, comparable to those of modern Homo sapiens

According to archaeologists in Germany, Neanderthals burned birch over fires to make a tarry adhesive.

This was used to stick tools together, suggesting that Neanderthals were relatively sophisticated.....

here are two ancient cave drawings showing how to hold the pipes and a close up on regulator playing
ImageImage

or ye can use string to tie the harmonium and player thus allowing freedom for toilet breaks etc... :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Uilliam wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Uilliam
But that wouldnae be traditional ...
Sometimes one must break with tradition in order to do the job correctly.

BTW, are you calling me a Neanderthal... I mean, I do have Geico car insurance and all that... but really... :P
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

about most ever-present reg playing, Finbar Furey has to take the cake. I jig after jig he's hitting the regs four times per bar. I've never heard Rowsome or anyone else hit the regs four times a bar on a jig throughout the entire set of jigs.
Joseph E. Smith

pancelticpiper wrote: I've never heard Rowsome or anyone else hit the regs four times a bar on a jig throughout the entire set of jigs.
Perhaps you need to listen to more Leo. :D
mattpiper
Tell us something.: Wanted to update my info here, as it was a couple of years out of date! Spending more time on my whistle these days, so hope to be participating in some conversations here.

Post by mattpiper »

"Paddy's Rambles Through The Park" on Ronan Browne's The Wynd You Know has simple harmonium accompaniment with and uilleann pipe chanter and fiddle playing in unison, just for an idea of how this sounds.
Matt Willis Bagpiper
http://www.mattpiper.com
[url]http://www,youtube.com/MattWillisBagpiper[/url]