Using other than cork grease . . .

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Using other than cork grease . . .

Post by BillG »

. . . caused an unplanned recorking of one of my flutes that I play most often. I had been using Badger Balm as recommended some years ago on this list. Friday I took this flute, for the second time in five years, to be recorked as one of the corks was pealing off. The cork tech called me and said that the other corkls were and appeared to be "oily" and "mushy".

That ends Badge Balm for me on the cork - love it on my hands and lips.

Those of you who are using Bag Balm, have you been using it long term and are there negative reactions to the cor.? Those using a mix of beew wax and oil, how are the corks holding up?

The tech, in my case, recommended a good standard cork grease similar to what one might use on a clarinet or sax. That's where I'm going unless I hear great things about Bag Balm.
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Bill,

You've been having a bit of a tough time lately, haven't you?!

I've been using Doctor Slick cork grease for any corked flute I've had over the last 2 years, but it's not really a good test, since I haven't had the same flute for that whole time. It seems to work well, but has to be re-applied regularly.

I'd certainly trust it over something not made for cork, since the formulation seems to be well researched by the inventor. You can read about it here:

http://www.doctorsprod.com/DrsProduct.html

He requires a $25 minimum order for credit cards or PayPal, so it's probably cheaper to get it from here in stick form:

http://www.music123.com/Search/Default. ... 4294892761

Here's hoping you have some smooth sailing ahead, and good luck with your M&E, and your continued recovery health-wise also.
~~~~
Barry
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

I've been using Doctor Slick for (guestimated) 5 years on a saxophone neck cork, and the cork still looks nearly new. I apply more following each use of the horn. A bonus - it smells good to my nose, too.

From what I can tell, the man who makes this and other products has really looked into what works. His day job is as a research chemist.
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

cork grease for corks, bag balm for ... bags.

really, why not just use cork grease? it works great, smells OK, purpose built.
William Bajzek
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Chapstick...exacty the same stuff as cork grease and much cheaper. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
azw

Post by azw »

Doc Jones wrote:Chapstick...exacty the same stuff as cork grease and much cheaper. :)

Doc
Now there's a hot tip! Thanks, Doc. Do you have a favorite flavor?
cocusflute

Cork grease

Post by cocusflute »

Several flute makers, in addition to Omar Henderson ("The Bore Doctor"), recommend using a product that does not contain a petroleum product. The petroleum clogs the pores of the cork and can loosen the glue holding down the cork.
Chapstick that does not use a petroleum product, such as one of the all-natural sticks, should be fine. I don't use the ones that contain Vaseline.
I've also used Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment. It's very slick and seems to last a few times.
Bag Balm, unfortunately, does contain petroleum jelly and so wouldn't be best. I've used it in the past but I won't use it again.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hey, I'm afraid the recommendation about Badger Balm came from me. Sorry it ended up causing you problems!