Rogge narrow bore D chanter?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Hi pipers,

I'm considering to join Andreas Rogge's list for a narrow bore D half set.

Does anybody here own a narrow D chanter by A. Rogge and can comment about it? Does it sound "flat-set-like"? I once played a Hunter narrow bore D and loved it - is it comparable to the A. Rogge model?

Any wood recommendations? I'm currently focused on boxwood but am wondering if a harder wood (ebony, cocobolo) might be better for the sound. The sound I'm looking for has this special "flat set" character and should be (subjectively) quieter than a wide-bore chanter since those are too loud for playing in my house.

Thanks,
Gabriel
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Why dont you go for a hunter narrow bore ,if you liked it ???

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

It's because Rogge is in Germany and easily reachable. I have my reasons. :)
sturob

Post by sturob »

I owned a Rogge narrow-bore D half set which I sold a few years ago to help finance a Wooff B set.

The narrow D was, well, different. Maybe someone who's played several of them can comment more, but it's not got the same feel as a big flat chanter, nor the same sound.

I think if you like the whole flat thing, then go flat pitch-wise too. I guess that could be because I bet narrow D chanters are more of an extrapolation than anything else. There are probably some existing narrow Ds (maybe really sharp C#s), but . . .

I'm trying to sound positive, honest.

Stuart
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Why not direct these questions to Mr. Rogge himself, especially if you are considering ordering one? Or maybe you already have...
sturob

Post by sturob »

Maybe because he wants to hear an opinion other than from the guy selling the chanter?

:)

Stuart
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

sturob wrote:Maybe because he wants to hear an opinion other than from the guy selling the chanter?

:)

Stuart
Yep. :)

Thanks for your opinion, Stuart. The main reason why I am considering a narrow bore D chanter is that I want a quiet, "flat" sound but also want to be able to play in (small) sessions and with other musicians in my band without forcing them to retune (not a big thing with guitar, but with fiddle and banjo...). I unfortunately can't afford having two sets, i.e. one in concert D and one in say B or C, and I don't want to have a set in i.e. D with another C chanter or vice versa as I see the drones as a main part of the instrument which I don't want to miss. So I'm seeking for compromises.
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

Gabriel

I have a narrow bore D set from Andreas and it is wonderful.
I use it with my D concert set that I have from Rogge. Many people
hear the two chanters and prefer the narrow bore. It has a great sound.

I use it in (small) sessions. No problems. Its mellow and doesn't sound too loud.
Many times I will close off the middle drone( I think that topic has been talked about on another page of this forum)

From what you have describe of the sound you want with your freinds, I think you will be happy.

Have one a Pinkus Mueller for me..... Ed
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I took the plunge today and ordered a narrow bore D chanter. I'm excited. :)
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

Gabriel

What is the wood, mounts and metal for the Andreas Rogge D narrow bore going to be and what is the waiting time.

My Rogge B narrow bore and D wide bore chanter is made from plumwood, boxwood and brass. Bag, drones and regs concert pitch coming later this year (3 years waiting).

The Pat Stones D narrow bore is made from rosewood, boxwood and brass.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I recently got a Narrow bore Greenwood Chanter. It's my second. The first was an Angus. Really quite liked them both. I much prefer the quieter volume. They have a sort of different tone I quite like as well. I don't have nearly enough experience to comment on whether they are like flat sets or not as I've only spent serious time with one flat set and was even more of a hack then than I am now. This Boisvert seems like it would be loud enough to compete with other instruments successfully. Sure is nice not to rattle the windows of my little office.

The family is very pleased with it. NOt just sure what that says about my playing. LOL

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Fergmaun wrote:What is the wood, mounts and metal for the Andreas Rogge D narrow bore going to be and what is the waiting time.
Hi Fergus,

it will be ebony, boxwood and brass. I don't know the waiting time yet. :)
Andreas told me today that he employed another worker to shorten the waiting list a bit. He's also upgrading his machines at the moment.

@Doc: I'm excited how it will play. I expect a quiet and kind of mellow chanter with a medium volume suitable for practise, amplified band work and small session. That is also what Andreas told me. I guess that I'll move on to a wide bore chanter sooner or later, but it should be quite fine for the beginning. :)

Best, G.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Gabriel wrote:
@Doc: I'm excited how it will play. I expect a quiet and kind of mellow chanter with a medium volume suitable for practise, amplified band work and small session. That is also what Andreas told me.
Best, G.
That would describe the two I've had perfectly. Can't say enough good about narrow-bore Ds. But, bear in mind I have very limited experience as a player. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi Steffen,
at the Pfingsttreffen in Hamm-Lerche (mega-event, very close to Münster) I was sitting beside Moni Schmettow (pure coincidence, of course :D ) from Munich. She plays a Rogge narrow D. Absolute sweet sound. I am sure that once you get it you will forget any CP plans.
Cheers,
Hans
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Hi Hans-Joerg!

Naja, ich war auch in Hamm dabei, allerdings ohne Pipes. :D Ich hatte die einzige nicht-schwarze Flute (sie war rot) und hab' die meiste Zeit im Wintergarten verbracht.
Moni (so heißt sie also, gut zu wissen) spielt also einen narrow D-Chanter? Na sowas...ich hatte sie schon in Versmold beim Concertina-Treffen getroffen (und den Chanter gehört), und der gefiel mir außerordentlich gut. Dachte, das sei ein CP-Chanter mit sehr weichem Reed...gut zu wissen! Dann kann ich mich ja doppelt freuen. :D

Viele Grüße,
Steffen