Flat and Concert Pitch

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flat and Concert Pitch

Post by gallant_murray »

Ok, I did a search on this but there was just too much to sift through. I'm not piper and I'm relatively new to serious ITM listening. Is there a clip or two that someone can direct me to that illustrates the difference between concert pitched pipes and flat pitched? I have an idea of the differences, but I'm not sure I could listen to a recording and tell you what type of pipes are being played. I kinda get the impression that most 'purists' prefer the flat pitched. Is that correct?
Thanks.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Flat and Concert Pitch

Post by Nanohedron »

gallant_murray wrote:I kinda get the impression that most 'purists' prefer the flat pitched. Is that correct?
Thanks.
I can't say that's necessarily so. I think it's more accurate to say that enthusiasts of the tradition (so much nicer than "purists", don't you think? :wink: ) just prefer good piping when all's said and done. That said, flat pitch holds a special place in my heart (my own main squeeze is a C set), but I've heard plenty of piping on concert sets where I couldn't imagine it being any other way.

It also comes down to the instrument and how it's reeded. I've heard both flat and concert sets that I thought were not set up at their best, and so the experience wasn't so satisfying.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

BigDavy wrote: Some nice flat sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tnWxsNshZQ
You know, I never really noticed this before, but both Mick and Caoimhin seem to be barefoot at the alter in this video. :D
itisi

Post by itisi »

John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
You know, I never really noticed this before, but both Mick and Caoimhin seem to be barefoot at the alter in this video.
Yeh, talk about putting more sole into the music! :lol:
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Flat and Concert Pitch

Post by Hans-Joerg »

gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I feel much better about the subject now. That article was really interesting.
Nano, I certainly didn't mean anything offensive by the term "purist." I apologize if anyone has taken it that way.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

gallant_murray wrote:Thanks everyone for the responses. I feel much better about the subject now. That article was really interesting.
Nano, I certainly didn't mean anything offensive by the term "purist." I apologize if anyone has taken it that way.
No, gallant_murray, I didn't take it in the offensive sense from you. I've just seen enough squabbles over the term, is all (one person's purist is another one's Trad Nazi, elitist, crank, snob, etc.), so I've gotten a bit wary of it and tried to make some lame humor. :)

I'm a purist by inclination, myself.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

gallant_murray wrote:
I took it that way. It upset me so much that, after a good cry, I had to make myself a cuppa Lyon's Original and chased it down with a buttered scone.