My eBay dream flute...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

My eBay dream flute...

Post by Jon C. »

:boggle:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Oh my Jon, are you asking for it! :) Lovely!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I know I've seen that flute in the last few months, although I dunno that it was on ebay. I'd be cautious.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Yeah but that flute might have been a nightmare for some poor elephant!

Hopefully it was some fossil tusk - but I doubt it!

Also, good luck getting it into the country. I've heard that they confiscate ivory sometimes irregardless if it is an antique or not. Hopefully that permit will help.

Casey
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Is that CPVC? :P

Eric
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Casey Burns wrote:Yeah but that flute might have been a nightmare for some poor elephant!

Hopefully it was some fossil tusk - but I doubt it!

Also, good luck getting it into the country. I've heard that they confiscate ivory sometimes irregardless if it is an antique or not. Hopefully that permit will help.

Casey
It is just a "dream flute"... Just dreaming... I doubt very much Monzani used fossilized tusk to make his flutes! A flute made in the 1830's would be considered "pre-ban" when it comes to the law of the land...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

There was a bunch of fossil ivory coming out of the Urals then. It could be fossil.

I have worked some Alaskan ivory that is pure white - except on the outside of the tusk where it had the blue vivianite. Got tired of using it though and went to polyester fake ivory. Got tired of that and now I just enjoy wood and silver.

Casey
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Casey Burns wrote:There was a bunch of fossil ivory coming out of the Urals then. It could be fossil.

I have worked some Alaskan ivory that is pure white - except on the outside of the tusk where it had the blue vivianite. Got tired of using it though and went to polyester fake ivory. Got tired of that and now I just enjoy wood and silver.

Casey
Ya, I got some mammoth ivory, looked just like the fresh stuff, but it wouldn't be fossilized as it was just frozen in the permafrost not fossilized. Am I right in this? I like working with wood and silver too, but occasionally a antique will need a new ivory piece repaired or replaced.
I understand that to make a ivory flute they had to steam or boil the ivory to straighten it, is that correct?
Michael Flatley

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I recall somebody, maybe Andrew K, saying that ivory
hasn't exceptional acoustical propertries. So maybe it
sounds less good than wood.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

jim stone wrote:I recall somebody, maybe Andrew K, saying that ivory
hasn't exceptional acoustical propertries. So maybe it
sounds less good than wood.
Your right, it probably won't be worth the $11,000 that it will sell for... :twisted:
Michael Flatley

Jon
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I've got a bone quena that is the exact same specs as a blackwood one I have....the bone(which probably would sound the same as ivory), sounds okay but the wood one is better. The bone sounds almost like plastic, wouldn't say it's worth it. I would assume ivory has the same characteristics as bone?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:I would assume ivory has the same characteristics as bone?
No.

http://www.jayfisher.com/custom_knife_h ... _ivory.htm

"Ivories and tusks are unusually dense, some of the densest, hardest animal parts and remains. They are much less porous than bone, therefore last longer, are less apt to absorb liquids, and polish better."

http://www.maggiecp.co.uk/free_organic_ ... ories.html

"The material most commonly confused with ivory is bone. It has the same colour and in small pieces it may not be possible to discern any structure. However, almost all bone is hollow and cannot therefore be carved into solid figures. To construct an item from bone with a top and bottom (e.g. the box illustrated), there must be joins. Also, bone has a characteristic totally lacking in ivories: tiny, nutrient-bearing canals, called Haversian canals. These appear as dark dots in cross-section, and as little lines along the length of the material."

Also:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Real-Ivory-vs-B ... 0001279117

Kevin Krell
Last edited by kkrell on Tue May 08, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

oohhh jon, you won the lottery, that you are after a flute of 11.000? :D
it is a BEAUT though......*drool*

berti
smoro

Post by smoro »

Am I the only one that prefers wood? I don´t like too much. Sorry.
S.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

This is either identical or the same flute that Andrew Kirby owned, I saw it in the flesh, just amazing workmanship.