wooden flutes from china (ebay)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
DaveAuty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

wooden flutes from china (ebay)

Post by DaveAuty »

I have just been browsing ebay for wooden flutes and notice it seems to be swamped with nice looking instruments from Beijing, China. Has anyone out there purchased one of these flutes and if so what is their general opinion?

Cheers,

Dave.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

I know there are many that will disagree with me, but I say never, never, never buy a musical instrument that you have not played. If you do, you take your chances.

A reputable maker or seller will let you return an instrument that does not please you.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

They make great lamps...

I'd refer you to the sticky thread at the top of the page.
Corin
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Dave, perhaps you can give us a link to the ebay flute(s) that you are referring to. I did a quick search on ebay looking for "Irish flute" and "wooden flute". I didn't see any wooden flutes where the seller said that they were made in China. The low-cost ebay wooden flutes that I have seen so far are most likely made in Pakistan, however, I am expecting to see Chinese simple system transverse flutes in the near future.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Dave, perhaps you can give us a link to the ebay flute(s) that you are referring to. I did a quick search on ebay looking for "Irish flute" and "wooden flute". I didn't see any wooden flutes where the seller said that they were made in China.
:D I searched Musical Instraments for Beijing China and came up empty...a link would be helpful
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

If the ad says something like:

Beautiful useful musical wind tool

Chances are its from China.

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

the ones from pakistan suck, but i would never buy a flute that isnt made by a high reputation artisan.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The chinese flutesmay get good.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

jim stone wrote:The chinese flutesmay get good.
They just might.

I had a complicated vintage electonic device replicated for me over there.

Not only did it work but I had a really hard time telling it a part from the real thing.

Had there been a patina of any kind I could have been fooled.
Aanvil

I am not an expert
rh

Post by rh »

jim stone wrote:The chinese flutesmay get good.
Indeed, you can see a number of good-quality musical instrument lines coming out of China. Eastman mandolins, for example, have a good reputation at an attractive price point. They are also pretty responsive to the market. A few years back, it was not very common to see any lower-end makers putting out oval-hole mandolins; once they started to become popular, Eastman was right there, filling a niche market for people who may have spent their wad on a high-end F-style and were looking for an inexpensive-but-good-quality oval hole. So i wouldn't be surprised if within the next few years we see good-quality economy-priced timber flutes aimed at beginning players or Boehm or sax doublers who might be looking for something that won't set them back too much but isn't a piece of junk.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yeah, I think you can count on it. Asia is figuring out that there's a market for quality instruments at competitive prices. Cort guitars, in S. Korea, is turning out some remarkable stuff. My 'Parkwood' (Cort) guitar cost $500 and rivals the Gibsons, Martins and Guilds that I grew up with. In some ways I like it better. I tell myself they treat their workers fairly, and I'm trying to believe it. :-?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

crookedtune wrote:I tell myself they treat their workers fairly, and I'm trying to believe it.
Probably not, by Western standards. OTOH they probably prefer a factory job to working in the fields. And in a few decades, the pay will be better over there.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Guinness wrote:
crookedtune wrote:I tell myself they treat their workers fairly, and I'm trying to believe it.
Probably not, by Western standards. OTOH they probably prefer a factory job to working in the fields. And in a few decades, the pay will be better over there.

I just found the motto for a mainland chinese flute company.

Your satifaction is assured!

我们做好长笛或我们杀害我们的工作者!
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Cubitt wrote:I know there are many that will disagree with me, but I say never, never, never buy a musical instrument that you have not played. If you do, you take your chances.

A reputable maker or seller will let you return an instrument that does not please you.
You should have told me that 30 flutes ago.. :D
Actually I onl regretted buying one flute and it was from Pakistan, the other 29 turned out okay.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Jon, those Pakistan flutes do suck real bad! :swear: what a waste of money, those guys dont know what they are doing.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan