Low whistle Players?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
medit8b1
antispam: No

Low whistle Players?

Post by medit8b1 »

I'm working on a low whislte links page for my website, and I noticed I had a sadly short list of Low whislte players. I've got Tony Hannigan, Brian Finnegan and Davy Spillane of course. Can anyone recommend anyone else? It's kind of hard as there are very few players who specialize in just the low whistle, most play regular whistles, flute and pipes as well.
Thanks
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Perhaps some links to pages of low whistle makers?

-Overton
-Burke
-Kerry/Chieftain
-Dixon
-Etc.
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Yeah, I've got no shortage of makers! I intend to have a makers section, a players section and a misc. section for things like chiff and fipple, the forum, whistle this! etc. I was just hoping to get a few more names/sites for the players section.
Dee Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dee Whistler »

I would add Mike McGoldrick to your list. Even though he is known as flute player and piper also, I find that he plays actually low whistles a lot in his albums, perhaps more than flute (not sure, haven't counted, and I always prefer listening his whistle tracks).
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

Rory Campbell of Old Blind Dogs (low whistle and pipes)
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi,
Couldn't resist this one. So many great players are not that well known, and they need mentioning.
I don't think you will have much of a list and will leave out the best players if you make a list of people who only play low whistles. I don't know anyone that just does that Brian Finnegan, for example plays a lot in high Eb, and plays the G flute as well as a concert flute too.
You can't make a list of low whistle players without putting Paddy Keenan at or near the top of the list. Paddy may be the greatest low whistle player I have ever heard play the instrument when he is at his best.
Mick O'Brien, the Piper from Dublin is a wonderful low whistle player, though he plays pipes mostly.
Others that you need on the list might include:
Declan Masterson- Plays for RiverDance
Ivan Goff- Plays with Greenfields of America
Brian McCoy- A sample of him playing my Viper is on my website, and I don't think anyone can say that is not pretty good. Brian can play anything very well.
Sean Smyth from Lunasa is an all Ireland whistle player I believe and can play the low whistle with the best of them even if it is not considered his first instrument.
So can Kevin Crawford, who is known as a flute player primarily.
John McCusker, one of the finest fiddle players in Scotland is also a very very fine low whistle player.
Joanie Madden is so great at flute and whistles in general, it is easy to pass over the fact that she is just awesome on the low whistle, so don't leave her out either. Joanie is an amazing entertainer in general and a great person too.
There are others, but these come to mind right away along with the others mentioned. My apologies to them. I am sure others will come to mind as I think about it.
All the best
Mike
bepoq
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Misha Somerville who plays with the band Croft No. 5 and makes the MK whistles plays and makes low whistles almost exclusively.
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

ooh, thought of another one:

piper Joe McKenna has a nice cd called The Irish Low Whistle. there's an interview with him here.
Celtic Woman

great player

Post by Celtic Woman »

http://cdbaby.com/cd/talbertstclaire

Fastastic player indeed. He goes really low. Talbert St. Claire does have some nice reviews at the link listed above. A very emotional player. Not much of a board member these days. His sound is quite similiar to Davy Spillane and James Mc nally.

B.O.B.
Women are a large army.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

add seamus egan
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Re: great player

Post by cavefish »

well he tried to do spillanes "may morning due" got to give him credit --he seems like a nice guy
Last edited by cavefish on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Thanks for all the really great suggestions! Keep 'em coming if you like. I will post a link to the finished product in the next day or so. Can you believe we forgot Cormac Breatnach?
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

do post it :D another great favorite
Celtic Woman

Post by Celtic Woman »

Cavefish,

You must be a fan of St. Claire's to make that statement :lol: . Can't argue talent.
Women are a large army.
uilleannpiper

Post by uilleannpiper »

Emer Mayock is another one as well as Mick McCauley from Solas and I cant believe nobody has mentioned John McSherry.