Tin Whistle clip on youtube Sir James Galway

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
david quinn
antispam: No
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

Tin Whistle clip on youtube Sir James Galway

Post by david quinn »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAYXsFRlNs came across this clip of Sir James Galway on youtube didnt want to post in the flute clips section as its done on the tin whistle.

What do yous think i think hes amazing i heard him playing whistle on cd with the Chieftans the song was Last Rose of Summer his vibratto and techniques are awesome make the instruments sound very sweet indeed whish i had half of his technique :oops:
dpmccabe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dpmccabe »

James Galway playing anything other than classical music is deplorable. That clip is certainly no exception. I hope for everyone's sake that he never picks up a tin whistle again.

Although he is certainly a very talented classical flute player, he has no idea to play Irish music and has exhibited this fact on numerous occasions. This is only a problem because so many people erroneously believe that he does.

Put the James Galway CDs away and check out these musicians if you're interested in Irish flute/whistle:
Matt Molloy
Laurence Nugent
Seamus Egan
June McCormack
Sean Smyth
John Wynne
Kevin Crawford
Seamus Tansey
Joanie Madden
Paul Smyth
etc. etc. etc.
Last edited by dpmccabe on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

FFs whats your problem man??

I have bought 3 Matt Molloy cds in the last 2 weeks i dont need anybody telling me who to check.

I have listened to Galway a lot With Phil Coulter and the chieftans i think if he was that bad would he be taking centre stage and playing the whistle and flute with these guys?

He is awesome on the whistle unless my ears are lying!
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumper »

Beauty is in the eye (ear?) of the beholder.

This video is nauseating.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Guys, just a different kind of music.

Apples and oranges.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

david quinn wrote:I have listened to Galway a lot With Phil Coulter and the chieftans i think if he was that bad would he be taking centre stage and playing the whistle and flute with these guys?
In the past couple decades, the Chieftans have played more non-Irish music than Irish music. Though the members are all capable of making excellent traditional music on their own, as a group, that's not the business they're in anymore.

Most ITM fans these days don't pay much attention to the latest Chieftans releases. They do, however, snatch up the latest Harry Bradley or Teada album the second it comes out.
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

peeplj wrote:Guys, just a different kind of music.

Apples and oranges.

--James
You're absolutely right. But, you don't see Mike Rafferty or Kevin Crawford deluding themselves into thinking they are able to play jazz or hip hop. Yet, James Galway seems to think he can play Irish music and those unfamiliar with the tradition believe he is representative of the genre.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Being Irish, I'm guessing Sir James knows a thing or two about ITM; he just chooses not to play in that style. In the album he did with the Chieftains, there's was no question whether it was he or Matt Malloy playing at any given time. Galway is a virtuoso, and what he does is always in the classical style. He is without peer, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. He has never represented himself as a traditional player, but he certainly knows how to use the tools.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cubitt wrote:Being Irish, I'm guessing Sir James knows a thing or two about ITM; he just chooses not to play in that style. In the album he did with the Chieftains, there's was no question whether it was he or Matt Malloy playing at any given time. Galway is a virtuoso, and what he does is always in the classical style. He is without peer, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. He has never represented himself as a traditional player, but he certainly knows how to use the tools.
I'd say that covers it pretty well.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

Im Sorry i posted this now all i was trying to do is show a clip of what i thought was a talented guy.

I ave heard him playing Lannigans ball on the Whistle Brian Boru and Last Rose of Summer as well as Londonderry Air and they all seem perfectly fine to me.

We all no hes not the Ambassador for Irish Music as he make a living elsewhere but theirs no doubting he is one of the finest on the planet.

Phrases like him playing deplorable if hes not doing something classical is a joke the guys a legend i think he can turn his hand to anything.

But as said Matt Molloy or Seamus Tannessy or the other artists mentioned are the Ambassadors for Traditional stuff.
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

Cubitt wrote:He has never represented himself as a traditional player, but he certainly knows how to use the tools.
Actually, according to his own website, he considers himself a master of "Irish folk":
Sir James also has a discography of over 60 CDs with BMG/RCA Classics reflecting his mastery of repertoire ranging from the traditional masters to Japanese and Irish folk, jazz and cinema music
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

dpmccabe wrote:
Cubitt wrote:He has never represented himself as a traditional player, but he certainly knows how to use the tools.
Actually, according to his own website, he considers himself a master of "Irish folk":
Sir James also has a discography of over 60 CDs with BMG/RCA Classics reflecting his mastery of repertoire ranging from the traditional masters to Japanese and Irish folk, jazz and cinema music
Thanks for including the quote. Read it again. It says he is a master of the repertoire, not the style. I doubt that he or anyone else thinks he has the Japanese approach to music mastered, either. He is simply being versatile in his choice of music, but he is not trying to adapt his style of playing. When an orchestra records rock hits, it does not attempt to sound like the band that popularized the song. Again, you don't have to like it, but it is what it is. I'm not nuts about it myself, but I rather like the whistle bit. Shows that a simple instrument can be incredible in the hands of a master, but realize he is playing to a classical audience.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Cork

Post by Cork »

Long before any international recognition, apparently Mr. James Galway earned national recognition in Ireland, and did so at a young age.

;-)
Last edited by Cork on Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I may be naive, but I believe James Galway could hold his own in most sessions. This isn't a pub session, though, and he's certainly not playing in a traditional style.

I personally detest this kind of music, but it sells. Galway is a master, but this clip portrays what he does to pay the bills. More power to him.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

crookedtune wrote:I may be naive, but I believe James Galway could hold his own in most sessions. This isn't a pub session, though, and he's certainly not playing in a traditional style.
If he walked into a session anywhere in the world and started playing that Pennywhistle Jig, he'd surely get laughed out before he got to the 'B' part.