Tips for switching away from tabs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Basch

Tips for switching away from tabs

Post by Basch »

I can play some songs from my head now and some more from tabs. But I want off those tabs! Mostely beacause I won't have to translate the music to tabs annymore before playing.
Anny hints/tips?

And how long did you guys take to learn and play from written music?
I don't like sigs
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

I think a program like this might be handy for you:

http://noteableflashcards.com/SS4.htm

That's just one I pulled off google now for you, I'm sure theres other free ones out there though, it's basic enough and thats all you really need for that task. I don't know if the program allows you to re configure the answer notes but it would make more sense to set them to DEFGABC for the whistle. When you start sight reading you'll find yourself reading sets of notes at a time instead of just one note at a time, especially when they go in a simple pattern like say for example DEF etc. So it would be better if you can change the order in that program. If you suggested it to them they'd probably add that feature.

As regards the length of each note, rhythm, tonguing, slurring and other ornaments you should pick up by ear from other peoples recordings.

I took the long way around and first started by reading whistle tabs with pictures of the whistle under each note, then I started writing down the name of the note under each one of the sheet music, but now I just read off the normal sheet music as I play. Once I know the tune well having heard it lots of times I find I only need to play it 3 or 4 times off the sheet music then it's in memory. So writing down the notes on the sheet music first actually took more time than learning it! I'm sure others will agree when I say this, that looking back now I find it turned out to be just as easy to read proper sheet music directly than reading little pictures of whistles.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

best way I can think of, is just start listening to the music, with your EaR. :) That's the only way you'll get good at picking up tunes. Listen. Listen and listen. And after that, do some listening. And when you done with that, listen again. Rinse and repeat the rest of your life. And if you think I'm joking, listen again to what I just wrote.

And oh God, I didn't captilize the first letter of my first sentence...
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

^--That's pretty much what I'd advise too. Or the way Skelton puts it "you can't really play a tune until you know it".

Knowing the tune in your head makes it a fair bit easier to learn on the whistle. Then it's just a question of breaking it down into its component parts until you have it.

Something that may help too is just play around with the whistle. Start picking out tunes or songs you already know - even silly stuff or kids stuff; Twinkle Twinkle... the theme song from Gilligan's Island... The Fishin' Hole (theme from Andy Griffith) - stuff like that. Granted you won't play those in sessions (although starting out playing the Gilligan's Island theme like a slow air - then speeding it up until folks recognize it is comedy plutonium*) - but they'll help you get familiar with what playing stuff by ear. :)

(*most people just groan :party: )
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

As for written music I've always found it better than reading off tabs. But that is still not the preferred way. I've only played for a month or so and I thought I'd stick with sheet music forever because it's easy and always right in front of me. But I did a total 180 on that about a week ago. I've discovered that it takes me longer to learn a tune if I use sheet music than if I just listen and play it bit by bit.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

there's also little idiosyncresies you won't get in ITM off of sheet music, that you will get from listening to good players. Note I said listening...
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

Key_of_D wrote:there's also little idiosyncresies you won't get in ITM off of sheet music, that you will get from listening to good players. Note I said listening...
Yeah that too. If you're going to have to spend a lot of time listening to tunes anyway then sheet music really has no point whatsoever.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Anglorfin wrote:If you're going to have to spend a lot of time listening to tunes anyway then sheet music really has no point whatsoever.
I think that being able to read music is a very useful skill for musicians even if it is not essential.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Deleted: double post
Last edited by Adrian on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

Adrian wrote:
Anglorfin wrote:If you're going to have to spend a lot of time listening to tunes anyway then sheet music really has no point whatsoever.
I think that being able to read music is a very useful skill for musicians even if it is not essential.
It does have uses. Maybe I said it wrong but I meant that ever since I started listening by ear I haven't used sheetmusic at all.

I still use it for other instruments, it just loses it's relevance to me when learning ITM.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I've found that the combination of the three, ear training, tablature, and standard notation, is the real power combination. Today we're lucky to have so many tunes recorded and available that we could spend a couple of lifetimes learning it all. Yet even so there are still tunes that exist in notation only. Like tabalture, standard notation is only another way of recording music. When we first see tabalure it doesn't make any sense to us either until we learn to interpret it correctly. Standard notation is just a different set of symbols. It didn't take me any longer to learn to read music than it did to use tablature.

I've always looked at it like a capenter's toolbox. The skilled carpernter uses a hammer and a saw and a tape measure. Music is like that. The more tools we have in the box, the better off we are and the more possibilities that are available to us.
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

Anglorfin wrote:...it just loses it's relevance to me when learning ITM.
I think that might be the key, 'when learning ITM'. Reading music notation is a very important skill for a musician, but I suspect it's importance is relative to the type of music one plays. For any kind of traditional music to be rendered correctly one has to understand the tradition. Outside of traditional music styles I like to start with the notation.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

By notation I assume you mean standard five-bar notation, but what do you mean by tabs? (like guitar tabs?)
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

hathair_bláth wrote:By notation I assume you mean standard five-bar notation, but what do you mean by tabs? (like guitar tabs?)
He means whistle tablature, which is an idea similar to guitar
tablature, except it shows an image which represents the whistle
fingering under each note.

Click here for an example
(from Whistle & Squeak)
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

Oh, well that's useful! Kinda like cheating, though, isn't it? :wink:

While we're on the subject, can I ask really quick what these are and how do you read them:

(for example, take from The Session)
X: 1
T: Foggy Dew, The
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Gmaj
EF |: G2GA B2gf | e2dB A2GA | BA BG EG FA |1 G6EF :|2 G6ef ||
g2gfe2fg | ag fed2B^d | e3f gf e^d | e6EF |
G2GA B2gf | e2dB A2GA | BA BG EG FA | G6 |]