A method to settle disputes !!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A method to settle disputes !!

Post by rorybbellows »

I think it was fairly well established ,that most of the disputes and consequently locked threads are on the uilleann pipe forum,so i thought it would not really be OT to post this suggestion to settle disputes here !!

First of all a new page would have to be created where by only two individual posters could actually post replys,but anyone can enter the page to view the posts .

When two contributors to a thread have a difference of opinion of some kind and seem to be heading to have the thread locked ,they could be asked "to step outside" to the afore mentioned page where thay would be allowed to post five posts each to state their case in an alotted time.
Depending on the two disputee,s how these post go would be totally be up to them ,it could be a total no holds or language barred slagging match or it may be a well thought out debate(I know which I,d prefer) .

When both parties have posted their five replies, votes could then be cast by anyone other than the two disputee,s who wished to do so based on who they thought was in the right
The winner would then be allowed to make one final post before the thread was locked!!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: A method to settle disputes !!

Post by Nanohedron »

We sort of have a system like that, called PMs. Yours is more entertaining, though.
rorybbellows wrote:The winner would then be allowed to make one final post before the thread was locked!!

RORY
No way is a mod gonna give up that privilege to someone else. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There already exists a very efficient method for settling disputes. See here.

Alternatively, an exchange of PMs between the pugilists is probably the best way to sort things out.

Now, this topic is grossly OFF TOPIC. For the love of all that's good and holy, someone please lock it!!!
PJ
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

How about pistols at ten paces?

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A method to settle disputes !!

Post by rorybbellows »

Nanohedron wrote:We sort of have a system like that, called PMs.
Its the P in pm that makes it not much fun for everyone else!!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipewort »

Precedent has to come into play. Most democratic processes require a 'Speaker' - who moderates the debate - according to a set of rules. We have rules, and 'Speakers' , who keep the debate on track, according to these rules/precedent.

Participate in the debate, and be outspoken: but within the rules. Otherwise risk being locked - deservedly.

Per example:

Lady Member of Parliament to Winston Churchill. " Mr. Speaker, The Hon. Member for ..is drunk.". The reply, "Mr. Speaker, The Hon. Member for .. is ugly, but I shall be sober in the morning".

Both facts that were irrefutable, and neither was 'locked'.

The rules of this forum are a great deal less complicated, as should be the debate, particularly in those circumstances.

'Nuff said.

Pwt
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

yeah! & since we're talking politics, & religion...

BWAHAAHA
:lol:
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I think it was fairly well established ,that most of the disputes and consequently locked threads are on the uilleann pipe forum,so i thought it would not really be OT to post this suggestion to settle disputes here !!
Are you saying ALL disputes should be brought here?
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

No E wrote:How about pistols at ten paces?

No E
Given NoE's penchant for sharp pointy things, shouldn't that be swords at noon or dawn or....how'bout sabers at 4 , before cocktails??
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

fel bautista wrote:
No E wrote:How about pistols at ten paces?

No E
Given NoE's penchant for sharp pointy things, shouldn't that be swords at noon or dawn or....how'bout sabers at 4 , before cocktails??
Yes, yes, sharp pointy things it shall b(no)e. :D