The best LP / CD of flute playing????????????

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michael c
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The best LP / CD of flute playing????????????

Post by michael c »

Hello,

I'm just trying to remember or think of what is or was the best recording of flute playing which I heard while I was starting to learn a few tunes on the flute. I'm probably thinking of 15 or 20 years ago just now. There was an LP of Matt Malloy on the go and also a record of Michael Tubridy called "The Eagle's Whistle". Michael Tubridy has a couple of tracks on that record which I think are beautiful. I recently re-listened to another record by Frankie Gavin - "Up and Away". I think that it would be difficult to find better flute music on a commercial recording. What do other people think?

Beir beannacht,

Michael.
askoarras
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by askoarras »

I almost wore out Eddie Cahill's record, and now the McDonough's of Sligo or whatever it's called gets played a lot. For what it's worth. Aoife Granville's CD is nice.
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

I've been struggling with the flute for nearly 15 years. I was aware of the Wooden Flute Obsession CD's a few years ago, but shined them on. My wife bought the set for me for my recent BD, and I'm going crazy with learning the tunes. Hats off to Mr. Krell. The WFO CD's have it all.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Paddy Carty.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
askoarras

Post by askoarras »

Must agree. Bought the Paddy Carty record at the same time as the Paddy Taylor LP - what cover art! - and seemed to play the Carty one more, for whatever reason. Which reminds me of the Tommy Healy and Johnny Duffy record, that is still a fave - all of course in AAC format now in the iPod. Nice version of Fred Finn's on that played solo. Mmmh.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Frankie's 'Croc Suas É' is an excellent flute CD, I wonder did it ever get reissued to CD?

I only have the old cassette.

Regards,

H.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

askoarras wrote:Must agree. Bought the Paddy Carty record at the same time as the Paddy Taylor LP - what cover art! - and seemed to play the Carty one more, for whatever reason. ..
I'm damned if I can figure it out, either. On first listen, it sounded much like any other solo flute LP.

But I find I can play it over and over in a way I don't with any other.

It's the famous Carty flow, I suppose. His playing seems a lot more direct than that of people like Matt Molloy or Seamus Tansey. It's flute playing that canters rather than burbling or frolicing.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Harry wrote:Frankie's 'Croc Suas É' is an excellent flute CD, I wonder did it ever get reissued to CD?

I only have the old cassette.

Regards,

H.
It was released on CD; I have a copy. Ossianusa.com claims to have it in stock.
William Bajzek
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Is "Frankie" Frankie Kennedy from ALtan?

C.S. Lewis
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

s1m0n wrote:Is "Frankie" Frankie Kennedy from ALtan?
Nah, Frankie Gavin
askoarras

Post by askoarras »

Don't get me started on the Up and Away LP by Frankie Gavin, Mr Bradley. That's another fave - Frankie looking exceptionally dapper - super last track where he does the multitracking on fiddle flute and accordion. Mr O'Loughlin with Maeve-thingy on their CD THE THING ITSELF made me want to learn every tune though, and Bro + Sis McEvoy made me whimper. The first track on the hon. Harry Bradley's 1st CD made my teeth grind in my sleep, and that can only be a good thing. Funny that one barndance or was it a highland - highland I think, starts virtually note for note the same as the later reel Doon Lasses - or Loone Lasses as Cathal McConnell seems to call it on the Hidden Fermanagh CD, which reminds me of the solo record of the man himself, loved his kiss the Maid behind the Barrell, which again recalls the FLAGS OF DUBLIN and Mick Gavin record with Mr Gavin executing a lovely KTMBTB. Mike Rafferty can't put a foot wrong either of course, but who am I to judge. They're all good, except for the one's, of course, who're not. But who am I to judge.
Last edited by askoarras on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Buckeye67 wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Is "Frankie" Frankie Kennedy from ALtan?
Nah, Frankie Gavin
Somewhere I have a brief recording of Frankie Gavin giving Bill Ochs a whistle lesson some time in the 70s after a de Dannan gig in NY.

C.S. Lewis
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

I've been listening to "Top of the Coom" a lot lately. I also keep returning to "Speed 78".
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

notice the cover of Gavin's recording....he's holding a Patent Head Rudall.

my most-played CD of late is re-listening to Michael Flatley's eponymous recording and paying strict attention not to tone (my GOD he plays flat!) but to the very Tansey-esque and Henry-esque moves he mixes together, the result of those two being his teachers at some time or other.

Can't say there is any ONE perfect recording, though Stony Steps by Molloy comes closest for me!

dm
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

ah memories....of course i had m. molloy's lp's, along with mike tubridy's which i really like too, paddy carty, frankie gavin etc.
hmmm let's see, i would also add from that generation of fluter music: cathal mcconnell, joe burke, roger sherlock, seamus tansey, fintan vallely, marus hernon, and of course josie mcdermott. oh and hammy too!