Siberian Squill [Was Blue-eye grass]

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Siberian Squill [Was Blue-eye grass]

Post by I.D.10-t »

One thing I like about biking to and from work is the the things I notice as the seasons change. Today is the first day this year I have seen a flower, one person's yard was full of Blue-eye grass. There was slight precipitation today and the flowers were covered in little beads of water. Short four inch tall blueish purple flowers on a stem extending from a base of several thick grass like leaves.

Beautiful day out. I really wish I had a digital camera to share it all with you.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Short four inch tall blueish purple flowers on a stem extending from a base of several thick grass like leaves.
These are hyacinths. :)

I completely understand!

Just seeing all the beautiful green leaves and the pink and yellow daffodils is enough to make you thank God that you're alive, sometimes.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I have to agree...hyacinths are some of my favorite flowers. They smell heavenly. We had a bunch of them that would pop up in the spring when we still were in Ohio...I have no idea what is planted here, and since we're just getting in to the whole spring thing here in the North Country, there isn't too much even popping up let alone blooming. I can't wait to see :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

thank you I.D.10-t.
I love lawns with a flush of color running across the surface from whatever spring wildflowers have found a home there. We often see the little purple violets, and I'm one of those rare suburbanites who likes dandelions.

I hate chemical lawn services. I hate their little "we just poisoned your children and pets" signs.

I like chickweed, violets, dandelions, clover, and buttercups.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've already had the crocus, now I've got daffodils and tulips.

What I really always love are the trillium later this month. There's a wooded hillside by the river where they grow in abundance. (actually where I found the dead man back in Nov. that's one of the first things I thought of , "he's where the trillium bloom")..anyway, I'm watching them daily for the first sign of bloom. If I can remember to take my camera I'll get some shots when they make their apperance. They are my favorite sign of spring.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I.D.10-t, I wish you could find a picture from Google of exactly what you saw. I just got sort of curious.

We've just started getting some daffodils blooming in town. The forsythia shrubs are big, formless conglomerations of brilliant yellow canes. A lot of people consider them weeds practically, but I like them. They look pretty bad most of the year but right now they are the main color around. We are supposed to have temperatures as low as 24 degrees the next two nights. I hope that doesn't injure the early blooming flower buds that are forming---that would be a tragedy. Many plants aren't up yet, so they should be okay but I'd hate to have the plants that already have flower buds forming ruined.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Blue-eye grass

Post by chas »

I.D.10-t wrote: Today is the first day this year I have seen a flower. . .
There was a time in my life when I could have said this. That's why I moved south. The cherry trees are in full bloom (the deciduous magnolias, too!), I've been picking daffodils for a week or so, and crocuses for probably three weeks, stars of Bethlehem for a week or two. I was amazed flying into Albany yesterday that the lakes are still frozen. I hate winter if it lasts more than a few weeks, and frozen lakes in April count.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Grape hyacinth:

hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Blue-eyed Grass you say.
Well, there are plants called Blue-eyed grasses. It in the genus Sisyrinchium. Its not a true grass. Its in the Iris family.

Its a popular plant for people who try to replant their lawns with prairie plants but I don't know enough about them to know if they'd be blossoming this time of year.

Is that what you're talking about?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t and I live in the same metro area. It may be that he is indeed referring to a different plant, but the traditionally reliable harbinger of early spring hereabouts is the Siberian Squill which often lives in patches close to houses but makes tentative forays into lawns:

Dollars to doughnuts that's what he's talking about. It's too chilly yet for most hyacinths, here.

I haven't yet seen a yard full of squill (if squill are what I.D.10-t saw), but I imagine anything's possible if the yard sees only occasional traffic.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:I.D.10-t and I live in the same metro area. It may be that he is indeed referring to a different plant, but the traditionally reliable harbinger of early spring hereabouts is the Siberian Squill which often lives in patches close to houses but makes tentative forays into lawns:

That's the stuff. Tried to find the stuff in a field guide and the only name I found was blue eyed grass.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Another pleasing eye soother up there is the Purple Vetch that is commonly found growing along the side of highways... really adds a nice color to an otherwise boring road.

djm

Post by djm »

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oh. Blue flowers of any sort are beautiful. :)

I've heard that besides black, blue is the rarest flower color, even more rare than green.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

We have had hycinths blooming in our yard for a week or so. They are extremely fragrant, but if I get too close to them I start sneezing. A cold front is moving through today, and for the next two nights we are going to have nighttime temperatures below freezing. That won't be good for the tulips that are blooming. I also worry about the fruit trees that are in bloom. Our outside plants that are in pots will be spending a couple nights in the house. Just a few days ago it was 80 degrees F, and I brought a lot of plants up from the basement where they had been spending the winter under the plant lights.