Customer service

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How long do you wait?

< 1 day
3%
1-3 days
57%
4-6 days
27%
1-2 weeks
10%
> 2 weeks
3%

Total votes: 30

jsluder
antispam: No

Customer service

Post by jsluder »

When you email a question to an online retailer's customer service email address, how long do you wait before deciding they aren't going to answer (because they either did not receive the email or are just blowing you off)?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

!-3 days, I'm learning how to be patient. :lol:
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

If I'm going to get a reply (some businesses have blown off my e-mail.) I've been getting the reply usually by one business day, sometimes up to 3 business days.

The last time I e-mailed to a customer service was about the CD of music not being in my issue of the latest copy of "Sing Out" magazine. I sent the e-mail late last Sat. night. My e-mail reply came Monday morning. The CD came in the mail today.

I always hint at the reason why I'm e-mailing in the subject line of the e-mail.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

if they are good, then 1-3 days.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

<-- Customer Service Manager

A good company will answer within 1-3 business days. Smaller companies really shouldn't take longer than 1 business day.
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Small companies are less likely to check their email all that often (unless they are a 100% web-based business). Larger companies can take up to a week to find someone who can actually answer your question. I wait a week just to give people the benefit of the doubt.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

djm wrote:Small companies are less likely to check their email all that often (unless they are a 100% web-based business). Larger companies can take up to a week to find someone who can actually answer your question. I wait a week just to give people the benefit of the doubt.

djm
Ah...true, true. I work for a 100% web-based business, so I tend to think in those terms. :D
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Thanks for the replies. It's been 3 days since I sent emails to 2 different online retailers (both of which also have brick-and-mortar stores), so I guess I'll give them a few more days.

I hate waiting.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:I hate waiting.
Patience is a virtue, you know.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:
It can also be a curse. I have occasionally been too patient with people, and been burned as a result. Seems more of a balancing act to me: impatient vs doormat.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:
izzarina wrote:
It can also be a curse. I have occasionally been too patient with people, and been burned as a result. Seems more of a balancing act to me: impatient vs doormat.
I'm not criticizing you in your lack of patience...goodness knows I have absolutely none myself anyway. I'm just reminding you that it's virtuous ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:
jsluder wrote:
izzarina wrote: Patience is a virtue, you know.
I'm not criticizing you in your lack of patience...goodness knows I have absolutely none myself anyway. I'm just reminding you that it's virtuous ;)
No worries, Izz. I didn't take it as criticism at all. :)

Now, why haven't they replied to my friggin' emails? :x

:wink:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It depends to whom the email is addressed. If it's to a group, such as "ITsupport@BigCompany.com" then somebody ought to have fielded it. If it's to an individual, then more slack is required.
I get a lot of emails from my customers, and they know (or they SHOULD know) that I spend a week in the office and a week out at sites. If they're lucky, they have the right week, and I'll respond immediately. If not, I won't see it for a week.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
missy

Post by missy »

as someone who does "customer support" for our system, I agree it all depends on how contact is initiated.

If someone calls me (especially if they leave a message on my answering machine) it may be several days before I get it. I'm all around the city, so may not be at my desk, and may or may not call in and see if there's messages.
If someone tries to "sametime" (kinda like instant messager) me, I will probably tell them to send it as a feedback. I often can't take time at that exact second to respond to them because I'm in the middle of something else.
If someone emails me, I'll probably get to it that day - unless I'm on vacation.
But we have a "feedback" system that goes into a special que for us. That is the accepted way of contacting us, and one of the three of us will access that account at least once every half hour during US business times. We also have someone monitoring it 24/7 for emergencies (when the servers go down).

What I'm trying to say is if there is an "official" contact us process in place, it's always best to use that. You may think you'll get more personal attention by trying to circumvent that, but you may wind up having your communication go into the ozone and never be found.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I never email businesses. If I did that, I would have to let them past my email filter. I find that if I root around a little, I can usually find a phone number, and if I'm not willing to spend the extra time, then I'm not pissed off enough yet.

And if the company has really pissed me off, I send a real letter to everyone in the corporate offices for whom I can find an address. Businesses know that if you are mad enough to sit down and write a letter, you are on the verge of, at best, leaving them as a customer and at worst, calling your state's attorney general consumer protection division. I have received responses from the CEO's offices doing that, and I usually get a little extra for my trouble.

On a related note, how long do you put up with low-bid, Indian sweat shop customer service before you ask to be transferred back to someone in your own country? And how much crap do you put up with from the untrained customer service droid who is working from a script before you ask for a supervisor? For me, the answer is "about 45 seconds."
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow