The Wind That Shakes The Barley

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What do you think of the song?

I like it.
83%
I don't like it.
8%
I don't know/Other answer (please explain).
8%

Total votes: 24

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Wind That Shakes The Barley

Post by Jack »

How do you feel about this song?

Here is a Wikipedia page on the song: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_T ... ley_(song)
Joyce wrote:Here are the lyrics:I sat within the valley green, I sat me with my true love
My sad heart strove the two between, the old love and the new love
The old for her, the new that made me think on Ireland dearly
While soft the wind blew down the glen and shook the golden barley

'Twas hard the woeful words to frame to break the ties that bound us
But harder still to bear the shame of foreign chains around us
And so I said, "The mountain glen I'll seek at morning early
And join the bold united men," while soft winds shake the barley

While sad I kissed away her tears, my fond arms round her flinging
A yeoman's shot burst on our ears from out the wildwood ringing
A bullet pierced my true love's side in life's young spring so early
And on my breast in blood she died while soft winds shook the barley

I bore her to some mountain stream, and many's the summer blossom
I placed with branches soft and green about her gore-stained bosom
I wept and kissed her clay-cold corpse then rushed o'er vale and valley
My vengeance on the foe to wreak while soft wind shook the barley

But blood for blood without remorse I've taken at Oulart Hollow
And laid my true love's clay cold corpse where I full soon may follow
As round her grave I wander drear, noon, night and morning early
With breaking heart when e'er I hear the wind that shakes the barley.
And here is a version by Dead Can Dance, which has a really interesting singer (I think her voice is really masculine, but beautiful). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd-8Jos6VrA
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I've been playing the tune for years on the fiddle. I picked it up from another fiddler. I had no idea it was a song too.

I'm not sure if I'm prepared to decide if I like or dislike a melody more or less just because of lyrics that go along with it.

Perhaps I say that because my hearing has degenerated a bit and I've lost quite a few consonants. Words just aren't an emphasis of what I enjoy of music.
Jack

Post by Jack »

hyldemoer wrote:I've been playing the tune for years on the fiddle. I picked it up from another fiddler. I had no idea it was a song too.

I'm not sure if I'm prepared to decide if I like or dislike a melody more or less just because of lyrics that go along with it.

Perhaps I say that because my hearing has degenerated a bit and I've lost quite a few consonants. Words just aren't an emphasis of what I enjoy of music.
Did you listen to this woman's voice?

Just by reading the lyrics, I don't like them much either, but her singing it makes it really special. I love her voice.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I can't imagine someone disliking this song. Lovely melody. Wonderful lyrics (considering the subject).

Except for the register, there's nothing masculine about the voice - in my opinion.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Love the tune, like the song. Not crazy about that rendition, but that's just me. I'm real picky. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Love the tune, like the song. Not crazy about that rendition, but that's just me. I'm real picky. :wink:
Seems that the singer is a bit unused to singing with ornamentation, I thought, what with it being a traditional Irish song and she seeming to attempt to bring that sort of feel to it.

The tune's great, and I like the lyrics in that they combine a love theme with an historical frame of reference, both tragic. The love tragedy also provides an ambiguity: a symbolic reference to Ireland herself might be found in it. Not uncommon in Irish song.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Cranberry wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:I've been playing the tune for years on the fiddle. I picked it up from another fiddler. I had no idea it was a song too.

Did you listen to this woman's voice?
What? An alto with enough vibrato that she sounds like she's singing into a fan?
Oh, its pleasant in a modern sort of way, I suppose. If she were a fiddle I'd suggest she cut back on the vibrato though, only use it for occasional ornamentation. That's a personal taste based on my foundations in Early Music.
Just by reading the lyrics, I don't like them much either, but her singing it makes it really special. I love her voice.
Since I learned the tune without lyrics, its the melody in my head that I recall to play it.
Having the lyrics pointed out to me at this stage didn't change what's in my recall of the tune.

The singer's presentation of the lyrics? Since I can't hear most of the consonants, the singer might be singing in Polish for all I know.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'm not sure a clip on YouTube does justice to any stage performance, really. I don't doubt it would be a very moving audience experience. I, too, never knew it had lyrics. I love the tune.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Jack

Post by Jack »

dfernandez77 wrote:Except for the register, there's nothing masculine about the voice - in my opinion.
I don't know what it is. It's not the register, though -- Cher has a low voice and I don't think she sounds masculine. But when I first heard this song, I thought the singer was a man.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I first heard it under the title "The Wind That Shakes the Corn."

I'm not even going to try to pull up the clip mentioned here - every time I try to watch a video online it takes 20-30 minutes to open a 2 or 3 minute file, so it's not worth the bother.
Charlene
djm

Post by djm »

I wouldn't give up on a tune just because of the lyrics of one song. Remember that the Irish re-used their song tunes regularly, so that if you don't like this particular song, there may be twenty others set to the same tune, and probably you will like one of them instead.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've always liked the song, lyrics and all. I'm not crazy about this rendition, never been crazy about Dead Can Dance.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i love this song.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

A few other versions if you don't like the one Cran posted.

A nice one - sound only - Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laE0Q5po5tc

One to put you off the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSoTs3KDSm0

Guaranteed to put you off the song :puppyeyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfTGiy1yLjs

Unaccompanied version - sort of sean nos style. She sounds more masculine than the Dead Can't Dance singer. :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UsTwVjx5KM

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The Tommy Makem version is lovely.

Somewhere I have a 'field' recording of his mother, Sarah Makem, singing.

She'd sing while she worked, and when (someone--prolly Seamus Ennis or Peter Kennedy) was recording her, he found he had to follow her around the kitchen with the microphone.

I find her singing astonishing. She sings with a SLOOOOW intensity that I can't figure out.

The recording is an older lady singing a lovesong very at a very deliberate pace, yet I find myself on edge; waiting for the explosion that never happens. I have no idea how she does that, and I wish I did.

~~

I do notice that 'contemporary' or 'revival' recordings of Irish traditional songs (ie Sean nos, whether in english or Irish), as a rule, are all much faster than the source recordings that inspire them.

My guess is that something changed in our society--we now no longer have the patience for that slower pace.
Last edited by s1m0n on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis