Need some feedback please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistleaway07
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need some feedback please

Post by whistleaway07 »

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking around for a while and im finally ready to post!

A few years ago I created a tin whistle tutorial for a University project and posted it up live on the Interent, some of you might remeber the site from a few years ago. Anyway it didnt last too long and eventually i had to take it down due to hosting problems etc.

Anyway the good news is I have it back up and running and I'd love to get some feedback about the new site. Could you guys possibly tell me what you think of it, is it working properly?

You will see several ares where you can post messages, rants etc, please feel free to add information here. Or if any of you would like me to post an article for you please get in touch!

There is also a classified section which I thought would be a good idea, although the site says you have to pay for premium ads, you dont at the minute, if you have something to sell, you can post here for free!

Id also like to here from any of you who have a tin whistle site or blog? Perhap you could put a link up for my site?

Anway all feedback both positive and negative is appreciated, hope you find the site useful.

Heres the Link http://www.whistleaway.com .
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

that is a very good website for beginners.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
pocolargo

Post by pocolargo »

Love the website..Thank you! I have added it to my Favorites for regular referencing.
Lori
BoneQuint

Re: Need some feedback please

Post by BoneQuint »

whistleaway.com wrote:Now try covering the top two holes on the whistle and again give it a slow steady blow using the tonguing method, this note is a B
Is it now?
whistleaway.com wrote:Getting the hang of it yet? For your next note cover just the top hole with your pointer finger on your left hand, give a steady blow, this is an A.
Not on my whistle...
whistleaway.com wrote:Image
Yep, I think those two are backwards all right...
whistleaway.com wrote:How to play natural C
To play C you simple blow into the whistle without covering any of the holes
Actually, that's a C#. And you call the note with four holes closed F, but then later notate it (correctly) as F#:
whistleaway.com wrote:Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' : D D A A B B A, G G F# F# E E D
I'm sure that might be a little confusing for a beginner.
whistleaway07

Post by whistleaway07 »

Hi again,

Thanks for that feedback bone, I really appreciate it, the site has been causing me a few problems lately, so its taken this long to get them sorted!

If anybody here would like to write a whistle related article for my website that would be great, I'm willing to give you full credit of course, just drop me a PM here or an email.

Another feature which has yet to be used on the site is the classifieds, if any of you have a whistle or something whistle related for slae you can stick it up here for free. Just dont mind the paypal thing for now. It's all free, try it, you have nothing to lose. If the classified thing doesnt work i might just take them down, I'd be happy to hear if you think they are a good idea or not.

Anything else guys please let me know.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hi. i took a quick look at your website, especially the beginning lessons. i accidently taught myself to play left-handed. you do mention in the tutorial where the left hand and the right hand go but you could spend the extra money on bold and underline type to get the point across. you did better on this than most. the piece of paper that i had just had a picture and i guess i was supposed to figure out right-handed v left-handed. i'm not that bright.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Well, since you asked for feedback ...

1) There are still quite a few mis-spellings and punctuation problems on the site.

2) The key signatures of the tunes in the "Karaoke" section of your Whistle Tutorial are wrong.

3) My impression is that the site is heavily commercial, with "thin" content at the moment, and many adverts from Amazon, Google Ads, and your own "Whistle Store" throughout, even in the body of the text. As such, I'd say that promoting your site here on C&F constitutes a commercial posting, and should be identified as such to comply with the commercial posting guidelines of this board.

4) I was surprised to find that the videos in your Whistle Videos section are not your own, but random links to other peoples' postings on YouTube. So to claim "we have whistle videos" is deceptive. Even worse, none of these videos is credited to the video performers, which makes me think that you do not have their permission to use their clips in the way that you are doing (please correct me if I am wrong). It's not the links per se that are troubling, but the fact that you are using them uncredited to draw traffic to your commercial site.

5) Similarly, the tune transcriptions in your "MP3s and Sheet Music" section are all lifted verbatim from thesession.org, mistakes and all. Again, no credit is given to thesession.org, or to the original posters of the transcriptions (including our fellow C&F'er Falkbeer, whose setting of "All Those Endearing Young Charms" you are using). The deceptive impression is that this material is your own work, and it is not (and, again, please correct me if I'm wrong).

In short, given the commercial bias, inaccurate content, and apparent uncredited presentation of other people's work as your own, I would have to recommend against your WhistleAway site as an online resource. Of course, if you should correct these issues, I'd be happy to give it another look.
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

i accidently taught myself to play left-handed
Ha, I'm a lefty too! Started that way, was told by an expierenced player I was wrong, and chose to ignore them! (not the best move? you be the judge)

But a lovely site! I really enjoyed it, would have saved me loads of time when I was learning the whistle! Good stuff, I plan to recommend it!

If I had to be nit picky, I did see lots of spelling and grammar errors (But who don't mak those? :lol: ) Also, I agree with MTGuru that it was quite commercial. This makes it a bit confusing, and takes away from what I assume you are trying to do, aka make a good whistle site.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.