Abell Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Abell Flute

Post by pipersgrip »

i was looking on Abellflute.com, and his flutes go for 12k, that was the most beautiful flute ive ever seen. does anybody have one? if you do, how does it play?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Surely you jest ! (that's not a simple-system flute..or price)
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I believe Jessie K has one, and she has raved positively about it. They are lookers, aren't they? And NOT to be confused with the Chinese imitations you find on eBay... do not buy those unless you are anxious to lose money...
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Surely you jest ! (that's not a simple-system flute..or price)
Nope, they're Boehm. :)

To answer the original question, I haven't played one. But, I have played his heads and they're quite wonderful. With one of his headjoints you can make an old gym sock sound like a $12000 flute.

I'm playing a boxwood Noy joint on my really cheap Yamaha and it sounds absoulutely marvelous. I don't know why I would ever need an expensive body.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Doc Jones wrote:
Jack Bradshaw wrote:Surely you jest ! (that's not a simple-system flute..or price)
Nope, they're Boehm. :)

To answer the original question, I haven't played one. But, I have played his heads and they're quite wonderful. With one of his headjoints you can make an old gym sock sound like a $12000 flute.

I'm playing a boxwood Noy joint on my really cheap Yamaha and it sounds absoulutely marvelous. I don't know why I would ever need an expensive body.

Doc
I'll second that, my Noy (blackwood) head gets all kind of overuse cuz' I keep playing it on everthing under the sun......speaking of which...it's beginning to look much more faded than the body....might be time for an overhaul...
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Played one, a friend has one (Abell).

Very very beautiful, lovely wooden sound,
but Boehm, of course.
Cork

Post by Cork »

On the upside, apparently Abell Flutes does offer a nice selection of whistles, at prices nowhere near $12K.
croberts

Post by croberts »

Got one 4 or 5 years ago after a 2 year wait. I love it! Projects very well and still has that wooden flute sound. Just a tiny bit slower response than a silver flute...for me, anyway.

The whistles he makes are pretty amazing, too.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Hei, croberts,

It was many years until I first tried a wooden flute, and I must say that I really was both surprised and delighted to find that a wooden flute really can SING!!

Your comment, however, about a slight hesitation in terms of response seems about right. Such a hesitation, however, is likely very, very slight, eh?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

No, I don't have one. They are great, though. I have a Powell wooden flute. I was looking for an Abell flute when the Powell came to me.
~JessieD
Cork

Post by Cork »

JessieK wrote:...I have a Powell wooden flute...
Quite honestly, I had no idea that Powell ever made a wooden flute!!

Let me add, moreover, that I have a silver (metal) Haynes flute, dated March of the year 1915, not long into metal flute production for Haynes, and, I believe that Haynes continued wooden flute production for perhaps another several years beyond that.

Powell, after all, worked for Haynes, first.

Then again, Powell did make some very, very fine flutes!!
Dana

Post by Dana »

Powell began making wood flutes in the last few years. They are modern-scale blackwood flutes that are designed to play like recent silver orchestral flutes, but with the added warmth of wood. I own one.

Dana
Cork

Post by Cork »

Dana wrote:Powell began making wood flutes in the last few years. They are modern-scale blackwood flutes that are designed to play like recent silver orchestral flutes, but with the added warmth of wood. I own one.

Dana
Blessed be!!
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Does anyone have experience with both Powell & Abell wooden flutes? If so, how do they compare? Not that I could afford either right now, but while this thread is still fresh.......
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

springrobin wrote:Does anyone have experience with both Powell & Abell wooden flutes? If so, how do they compare? Not that I could afford either right now, but while this thread is still fresh.......
Not to hijack, but I went and looked at the Powell site, did anyone see the price for a gold boehm flute??? A tad under 40k, WITHOUT the headjoint!

2,500 for a keyed Reviol is suddenly looking mighty cheap...

John