1,122RPS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

1,122RPS

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

So, is there a limiting condition?
How fast would it be physically possible for a star to spin?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Well, a spin exerts a force on the material of an object. This can be observed on our own planet, whose rotation causes the earth to not be a perfect sphere, but rather to 'bulge' out in the middle. This applies to just about any rotating object.

To answer your question though, yes there is an upwards limit on how fast a star can spin. I don't remember the exact equation, but it is related to the star's total mass. Basically, the more massive the star the greater is gravitational pull and therefore the faster it can spin without the rotational force literally ripping it apart. If a star is spinning close to its own escape velocity, it'll be pretty oblate indeed.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

the article wrote:A thimbleful would weigh a hundred million tons back here on Earth.
That's difficult for me to understand.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Consider that the most dense naturally occuring matter here on earth is mostly empty space (can pass neutrinos(sp) through it) with electron clouds moving at great distances from atomic neucleii (relative to the size of the particles) and it'll be easier to grasp.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
TyroneShoelaces

Re: 1,122RPS

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

Denny wrote:Image
"artist's impression"

dang...i really thought we were onto something here. :x

~shoelaces~
ever been mugged by a quaker?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cofaidh wrote:Well, a spin exerts a force on the material of an object. This can be observed on our own planet, whose rotation causes the earth to not be a perfect sphere, but rather to 'bulge' out in the middle. This applies to just about any rotating object.

To answer your question though, yes there is an upwards limit on how fast a star can spin. I don't remember the exact equation, but it is related to the star's total mass. Basically, the more massive the star the greater is gravitational pull and therefore the faster it can spin without the rotational force literally ripping it apart. If a star is spinning close to its own escape velocity, it'll be pretty oblate indeed.
I had a chat about this with a (mathematical) friend.
He said the limiting condition would be the speed of light, and it would be the speed of the star at its equator. But, since mass increases and length decreases as you approach the speed of light, the star would tend to collapse in on itself and become a black hole, if it rotated fast enough. Does that sound right?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Sounds about right yeah, though for that to be the case the escape velocity for the pulsar would have to be approaching the speed of light.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Cranberry wrote:
the article wrote:A thimbleful would weigh a hundred million tons back here on Earth.
That's difficult for me to understand.
I believe (keep in mind, I'm a humanities major) that the implication is this: It's so dense that, should you have a volume of it similar to that of a thimble in Earth's gravity, it would weigh something close to 100,000,000 tons.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It looks to me as if someone is having a sip of a refreshing soft-drink.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm