Ennis' Diary - Mise an fear ceoil

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ennis' Diary - Mise an fear ceoil

Post by djm »

Just FYI - for the more discerning (unhinged) fan:

New publication on Séamus Ennis

‘Mise an fear ceoil’: Séamus Ennis – Dialann Taistil 1942-1946 is the travel diary of Séamus Ennis from his time working with the Irish Folklore Commission collecting songs and music in counties Galway, Clare, Mayo, Donegal, Limerick and Cavan.

At the age of twenty-three Séamus Ennis was appointed as a collector with the Irish Folklore Commission. His position would involve travelling to different parts of the country to document the traditional Irish music and song that was still alive in the oral tradition there, i.e. music that had not been published in print or on record at that time and had therefore been transmitted from generation to generation orally. The job was demanding, and required a person with very specific skills: the ability to write down the notation and wording of tunes and songs; the ability to speak Irish; an understanding of the musical tradition; and also a personality that would facilitate meeting many people and gaining their trust in order that they might share their music.

Séamus Ennis had all of these qualities and he was also an accomplished musician and singer. He kept a diary of his time collecting music and this diary is now in the National Folklore Collection in UCD. Ríonach uí Ógáin has carried out extensive research into his work, and has now brought it into the public arena with this fascinating diary.

‘Mise an fear ceoil’ is a book packed with information, but as it is written in short diary entries this is absorbed almost unconsciously by the reader. It provides an enthralling account of the musical tradition of the time, of the people and communities Ennis visited, and of Ennis himself. The book will be published in February.

I have confirmed with <A HREF="http://www.cic.ie">CIC</A> that they will have this book available within two weeks. It is published only in Irish, which is why I suggest it is probably more attractive to the more fanatical of Ennis aficionados, who will spend countless nights hunched over their Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla trying to figure what its all about. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nice one Dave.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

"I am the music man"...not to be confused with Meredith Wilson' The Music Man. Or did I hear some regulator work on "Shiboopi"? (or was that Sí Bua Buí?)

hmmmm,
t
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tommykleen wrote:"I am the music man"...not to be confused with Meredith Wilson' The Music Man. t

... or confused with Barely Manninuff's "I Am Music, I Write The Songs". :D
djm

Post by djm »

It might also be "Mr. Music" if you please. :D

djm
Last edited by djm on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have twice attended a talk about the diaries by Ríonach uí Ógáin. Mighty interesting stuff, lovely pictures, and unlike the book, sound samples.
djm

Post by djm »

Peter, perhaps you could go give the author a bit of a shove to get this published in English. :wink:

djm
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Post by fgibbons »

djm wrote:Peter, perhaps you could go give the author a bit of a shove to get this published in English. :wink:

djm
Better yet, a CD or DVD with the sound samples that Peter mentioned, a well as the diary extracts. With multilingual capabilities in DVDs these days, they could allow users to choose English- or Irish-language audio (with appropriate sections dubbed either way), and even provide subtitles in both languages, so that people could listen to the Irish but also see the Irish subtitles, if they needed a bit of help, or listen

-Frank
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: Its not such a far-fetched idea. We have the technology. I'll bet the univeristy has an audio/visual dept capable of producing such, as well. Its just a matter of having the vision to get the information out there.

djm
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

A DVD is not far fetched but not economically viable. Production costs for a DVD would make it prohibitive. You'd have a very limited market so the unit price would have to be very high (just consider the NPU's Heart of the Instrument DVD - 60 euros).

A translation would probably be more realistic, but books always lose something in translation, like Peig (who translated that BTW?)
PJ
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

A translation would probably be more realistic, but books always lose something in translation, like Peig (who translated that BTW?)
Asked in this context I guess you already know, if I recall well while recovering in hospital (TB I think it was)
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Post by fgibbons »

Oops, I didn't even mean to send that one about the DVD (I hit 'Submit' thinking it would discard my message - and that's AFTER my morning coffee, not a good sign....) But since I did:
PJ wrote:A DVD is not far fetched but not economically viable. Production costs for a DVD would make it prohibitive. You'd have a very limited market so the unit price would have to be very high (just consider the NPU's Heart of the Instrument DVD - 60 euros).
I guess I just assumed that production costs were lower on digital media, than on processed trees. Not so, apparently.
PJ wrote: ..... like Peig (who translated that BTW?)
I don't know, but I'm sure that if s/he knew half or a quarter of the pain s/he would have to endure to do it, s/he never would have been able to maintain such a positive outlook. [Little in-joke, for you Peig fans ;-)]

-Frank