Remains of village found near Stonehenge

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Remains of village found near Stonehenge

Post by Denny »

WASHINGTON - A village of small houses that may have sheltered the builders of the mysterious Stonehenge — or people attending festivals there — has been found by archaeologists studying the stone circle in England.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16887060/from/RS.3/
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Ugh, I'm in archaeology right now, and I hate it. I mean, this stuff sounds interesting and all... :oops:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Congratulations wrote:Ugh, I'm in archaeology right now, and I hate it. I mean, this stuff sounds interesting and all... :oops:
Having trouble with all the lying and making up stuff that's required? There are an awful lot of assumptions, supposition, and speculation involved. Are you sure you can handle all that uncertainty?

Which reminds me, I'm feasting right now, in here with my bed, furniture and cabinets, and just throwing all those half-eaten bones on the floor. Think I'll leave them here for thousands of years, too. Yeah right!

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
brianc

Post by brianc »

Any truth to them finding one house with a large sign hanging over the door that said:

:D
Congratulations

kkrell wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Ugh, I'm in archaeology right now, and I hate it. I mean, this stuff sounds interesting and all... :oops:
Having trouble with all the lying and making up stuff that's required? There are an awful lot of assumptions, supposition, and speculation involved. Are you sure you can handle all that uncertainty?
Pretty much exactly. :swear:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Well, it sounds pretty interesting and important. I'm not inclined to take a class in archaeology but just the idea of finding a bunch of really old house remains seems pretty thrilling. They are finding tools and things I guess. I don't suppose the remains themselves are fake. It doesn't seem like someone would make it up that pig bones are there, would they?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Cynth wrote::lol: Well, it sounds pretty interesting and important. I'm not inclined to take a class in archaeology but just the idea of finding a bunch of really old house remains seems pretty thrilling. They are finding tools and things I guess. I don't suppose the remains themselves are fake. It doesn't seem like someone would make it up that pig bones are there, would they?
No, but an archaeologist will probably have a tendency to ascribe a lot of meaning and importance to pig bones that are probably incidental to whatever they're studying. Thus the making stuff up.

But, really, that's just a hazard of the discipline. The most you can do is say, "Well, we found these pig bones in the same strata as this pottery, so maybe the people who made the pottery were also aware of the existence of pigs...?" Now, if the pig bones show signs of being worked by humans (knife marks that are consistent with butchering, what have you), then we might have something to work with. But really, archaeologists are just sort of disadvantaged from the beginning as far as data, so they tend to fudge and smudge a lot of things. In an undergraduate setting, anyway.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of archaeology, because it doesn't suit me, personally. I'd much rather study living people.
Congratulations

And while I'm on it, am I the only person who thinks it's silly that archaeology is a requirement for all anthropology majors? I mean, we have a whole separate minor for that, so if I really cared, maybe I'd do that? It should at least be optional, I say! I could be in "anthropology of gender" or "anthropology of religion" or "culture and the individual" or any number of classes that are more interesting and more useful to my area of interest. Ugh. Sorry guys, here's a cute kitty:

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yeah, you can generally distract us with pussy. :wink:

There's a TV program called "Time Team" where a bunch of archeologists and an ex-comedy front-man dig holes all over the UK. The impression it leaves is that it's impossible to dig a trench anywhere in the UK without finding something of archeological interest.

And I like Avebury Stone Circle better.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

kkrell wrote:Having trouble with all the lying and making up stuff that's required? There are an awful lot of assumptions, supposition, and speculation involved. Are you sure you can handle all that uncertainty?
And *belief*, Kevin, don't forget the *belief*.

"The Sheffield University researcher thinks the settlement was probably not lived in all year round. Instead, he believes, Stonehenge and Durrington formed a religious complex used for funerary rituals.
He believes it drew Neolithic people from all over the region, who came for massive feasts in the midwinter, where prodigious quantities of food were consumed. The bones were then tossed on the floors of the houses."
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

GaryKelly wrote:"He believes it drew Neolithic people from all over the region, who came for massive feasts in the midwinter, where prodigious quantities of food were consumed. The bones were then tossed on the floors of the houses."
Bet they weren't invited back.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
missy

Post by missy »

Congrats - are you interested in science? Maybe you could approach the archaeology from it's more scientific aspects - you know, the carbon dating, the looking at pollen to determine what plants were around, what minerals and metals are found in pot sherds, etc.
Those are the things that have always interested me about archaeology. The rest I've always looked at as kind of "historical fiction". It could have it's basis in fact, but there are a lot of assumptions that have to go on, too.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

kkrell wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:"He believes it drew Neolithic people from all over the region, who came for massive feasts in the midwinter, where prodigious quantities of food were consumed. The bones were then tossed on the floors of the houses."
Bet they weren't invited back.
Kevin Krell
I'm wondering if they'll find a primitive whistle and drum in the corner.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

dwinterfield wrote: I'm wondering if they'll find a primitive whistle and drum in the corner.
Not a chance. They'll all be hand-made and -voiced. Primitive is for the Generations that followed. :devil:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

shifting a mite to the left... i found this little effort remarkable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0&eurl=
Building Stonehenge - This Man can Move Anything
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com