HELP: PLANXTY SONGBOOK 1976

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Niamhb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

HELP: PLANXTY SONGBOOK 1976

Post by Niamhb »

PLANXTY SONGBOOK
Hey Does anyone know where I can find the Planxty Songbook that was released in 1976. I'd really really appreciate anybodys help!! I really want to find it but It's proving to be very difficult.... Thank you!
:D :D

Here's a link about it:

http://www.chinatogalway.com/Review%20P%20songbook.htm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Ah the silly stuff you amass over a lifetime. I have that. :oops:

it took a bit of digging but there you have it:

I'll be happy to answer any questions but I have no intention of letting it go.
djm

Post by djm »

A lot of music books only get published in a few countries. This is not just an old-time thing. It still happens today. e.g. Claddagh Records issued an album Best of the Chieftains on both sides of the Atalantic, but the music book that was published to accompany it was not published in the USA or Canada.

Unlike the Planxty book, however, we nowadays have access to the internet, and can order books from overseas like they were just down the street. :thumbsup:

For the Planxty book, I suggest you watch eBay, and be prepared to shell out major $$$s.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

For the Planxty book, I suggest you watch eBay, and be prepared to shell out major $$$s.
It was the equivalent of 7 euro in 1976 Image It was published by an company in London
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

I use these sites when I am searching for old books, but I think ebay will be your best option for books with a small print run.

http://bibliomania.net/Search.html

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
drunkenviking

Post by drunkenviking »

Peter Laban wrote:Ah the silly stuff you amass over a lifetime. I have that. :oops:

it took a bit of digging but there you have it:

I'll be happy to answer any questions but I have no intention of letting it go.
:thumbsup: Any chance you'll provide more pictures from this book? :)
Christian Tietje
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Planxty Song Book

Post by Christian Tietje »

I have also still an old copy that I have bought at that time in Ireland. I could copy it but only for private purpose or create pdf. But it should not be distributed.

If interested, please post address.
Christian Tietje
drunkenviking

Post by drunkenviking »

Cool! Sent you a PM..

HAHA.. Asked Christy Moore about the book on his site:
Howdy Mr. Moore! I just want to know if you have any information wether the planxty songbook will ever be re-released? http://www.chinatogalway.com/Review%20P%20songbook.htm
Cheers, Arild
P.s. You rock! :)

Christy's reply:

I dont remember it being released.I know nothing about this.maybe it was the vodka
Love him! :D
Tou-Che

Post by Tou-Che »

is Yarmouth town in there. Whats the tune L. O'flynn plays on the whistle?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have that book :D
I thought my wife bought it in Ireland around 1980, but I see it has the stamp of the Irish Import Shop in Hollywood (California) in it.
Contents:
As I Roved Out
An Phis Fhliuch
Arthur McBride
Bean Phaidin
The Blacksmith
Cunla
Cold Blow and the Rainy Night
Fisherman's Lilt
Cronin's Hornpipe
The Dogs Among the Bushes
Jenny's Wedding
Follow Me Up To Carlow
Hewlett
Humours of Ballyloughlin
Johnny Cope
The Jolly Beggar
The Kid on the Mountain
The Lakes of Pontchartrain
Only Our Rivers
Polkas
P Stands for Paddy I Suppose
Pat Reilly
Raggle Taggle Gypsy
Time Will Cure Me
The Well Below the Valley
(Copyright 1976 by Mews Music Ltd, Alembic House, 93 Albert Embankment, London SE1)
The uilleann tunes are obviously notated by someone not very familiar with Irish instrumental music. Dogs Among The Bushes, for example, not only is written in 2/4 but has the bar lines in the wrong places throughout, the offbeat beginning each bar and the downbeat in the middle of each bar. Strangely, Jenny's Wedding which follows Dogs, though also written in 2/4 at least has the bar lines in the correct places so that the downbeats are at the beginning of the bars.
Cunla is written in five flats (key of D flat), but you can just ignore the key signature and play as written for it to come out in normal D.
An Phis Fhliuch, though a slip jig, is instead written in 6/8 with, obviously, most of the bar lines in the wrong places.
Humours of Ballyloughlin, oddly enough, is written correctly, including preserving Liam O Flynn's dropping a beat at one point.