New Years Eve and the Mo' Tab'

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Years Eve and the Mo' Tab'

Post by shadeclan »

Hey, were any of our gentlemen forum-ites playing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on New Year's Eve, around 6 PM Mountain Time?

If so, I'm not sure what you were playing (kind of looked like a Busman Delrin d+), but it sure was good! :D :D :D

If not, many of you missed a great performance! I myself missed some of it, but I did catch a rendition of "Homeward Bound". I have a copy of that, and I listen to it frequently - very haunting, very beautiful.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

LOL. Nope. Real Utah'ns head to Evanston to pick up a few....ahem...special fireworks, and booze. Getting liquored up and playing with high explosives is always a treat. :)

AMAZING VIDEO HERE!

No Mo Tab needed! :twisted:

For the record, we knew we had a couple of duds in the batch of mortars we were shooting off, but we decided they were payed for....why let them go to waste! Sure it should have gone up in the sky and stuff before blowing up, but this was a lot more up close and personal. LOL And yes, everyone was fine - we were keeping a safe distance and no one lost an eye.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I missed most of the MTC on Christmas Eve but caught the St. Olaf's choir on PBS right after. They were in Norway last year and filmed a Christmas special for PBS. On one tune there was what looked like a derlin or dark wood whistle accompanying the choir. The whistle was on screen all of about four seconds and I had been drinking eggnog so I'm not really sure what I saw. Sounded nice though.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Beautiful Brian, looks like a great time
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It was cold but fun - and in truth, there wasn't any boozin going on with the fireworks. We probably should have had some helmets on or something though. We had two of them do that! (on the ground)
walrii

Post by walrii »

Brian Lee wrote:Getting liquored up and playing with high explosives is always a treat. :)
Here in Texas, a rigidly enforced local custom requires that any police report or news article containing the words "fireworks injury" must also contain the phrase "alcohol was involved."
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Re: New Years Eve and the Mo' Tab'

Post by khl »

shadeclan wrote:Hey, were any of our gentlemen forum-ites playing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on New Year's Eve, around 6 PM Mountain Time?

If so, I'm not sure what you were playing (kind of looked like a Busman Delrin d+), but it sure was good! :D :D :D

If not, many of you missed a great performance! I myself missed some of it, but I did catch a rendition of "Homeward Bound". I have a copy of that, and I listen to it frequently - very haunting, very beautiful.
I know the person who plays the pennywhistle for them. At least he's the one who plays on the album and I've heard him play with them in the last month and I don't imagine they brought in anyone else. He uses an O'Riordan.
Keith
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

khl wrote: I know the person who plays the pennywhistle for them. At least he's the one who plays on the album and I've heard him play with them in the last month and I don't imagine they brought in anyone else. He uses an O'Riordan.
Thanks, khl. I was interested in what whistle that was, and I'm sure that it was the same guy as the album - at least it sounded very much the same to me. I was also curious to see if he was a Chiff & Fippler, but it would appear not. Probably just some floutist who dabbles in the whistle . . . probably thinks it sounds like the wind instrument which must not be named and can't understand when somebody disagrees . . . :D

Brian Lee wrote: Nope. Real Utah'ns head to Evanston to pick up a few....ahem...special fireworks, and booze. Getting liquored up and playing with high explosives is always a treat. smile
Glad to see you're still in one piece . . . :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Is this guy a local? So far as I knew, I was the only Utahn with O'Riordans... I do know I'm the only one who has shown up to a session or concert here with them. Be interested to talk with him if he's here in the valley.

And yeah, the pyrotechnics were quite cool, even with the two bad shots. We all survived to do it again next year anyway. :thumbsup:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

shadeclan wrote:. . . probably thinks it sounds like the wind instrument which must not be named and can't understand when somebody disagrees . . . :D
A Generation?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Nanohedron wrote:
shadeclan wrote:. . . probably thinks it sounds like the wind instrument which must not be named and can't understand when somebody disagrees . . . :D
A Generation?
:lol: :lol: :lol: - Don't let Peter hear you talk that way . . .
-Shoveler
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

shadeclan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
A Generation?
:lol: :lol: :lol: - Don't let Peter hear you talk that way . . .
Hey, don't look at me! Whistle-wise, I play Gens almost exclusively, myself. :D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician