Eagle two part whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
selkie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by selkie »

Has anybody got any comments on this Clare/ Eagle whistle please. I like the idea of it being a pocket whistle and want something cheap to pop in my wheelchair bag when I get out in the country lanes. I have a brilliant Tony Dixon but feel it's too dear to just chuck in a bag and bump off kerbs etc. It would probably get broken.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Not a bad whistle at all. I have one which I keep in the tool bag on my mountain bike so I can play some tunes on long rides. I also made one myself out of a Generation D. I got the appropriate size of brass tubing, cut the whistle in 2 with a razor saw, and used a piece of the tubing to make a connector, much like a tuning slide. However, this piece inside the whistle affected the tuning somewhat and considering the low price of the Clare is probably not worth the effort.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I have a clare 2 peice. It's not the worse whistle I have, but it's really tempermental. Every note has a different breath requirement to make it sound un-crappy. It's kinda touchy, and it's affected by temperature greatly as it's made from really thin metal.

I don't play mine much. I might have just gotten a dud, though, I haven't played any others besides the 1 I have....
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I really love mine, even though it can be a bit temperamental about tuning, something I suspect has to do with temperature and humidity and that most of us use them as traveling whistles. I have a nice wood case for mine that rides well in the car and can fit at need in a pocket, albeit a bit bulkily. For the price, they're a good whistle.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I have a clare two piece and a doolin two piece. The clare is a bit chiffier and I prefer the doolin.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I've found the best thing to do with a Clare whistle, one- or two-piece, is to throw away the head and stick a tweaked Generation head on it.

The bore of the Clare is slightly narrower than that of the Generation, giving you a softer sound. Once you've removed the Gen head with hot water, chances are it will shrink a bit and make a perfect fit on the Clare body. Narrow the windway as I described in an earlier thread and you'll have a winner.

All three hybrids I've created in this way have turned extremely well. One of them is a two-piece and apart from sounding A1 it fits into a jacket pocket nicely.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

i recently acquired both the clare and doolin 2 parts from 'shanna quay' and prefer the doolin of the two. the clare does seem prone to squeak a bit(probably my playing).thanks for the tip bro. steve, i had considered the usual bluetack treatment,but a complete head transplant may be forthcoming!
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

I have two of them, one for the glove box in each of the cars...you never know when they might come in handy. Both of them play pretty well and they are consistant in quality. Air requirements are less than the other cheap whistles that I have tried, however, the Clare (Eagle) is a bit touchier, but still not bad. I really like mine.
selkie

Post by selkie »

Thanks for all the comments. I have decided to buy one as I want to keep one in my car for those sudden urges to play. I don't suppose I am the only one with sudden urges to play at odd times and strange places! :smile:
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

On 2002-06-22 07:40, brewerpaul wrote:
Not a bad whistle at all. I have one which I keep in the tool bag on my mountain bike so I can play some tunes on long rides. I also made one myself out of a Generation D. I got the appropriate size of brass tubing, cut the whistle in 2 with a razor saw, and used a piece of the tubing to make a connector, much like a tuning slide. However, this piece inside the whistle affected the tuning somewhat and considering the low price of the Clare is probably not worth the effort.
Paul - try a larger connector and put it on the outside of the whistle tube. You have inspired me. I'm going to try it myself as soon as I can get down to the Home Depot.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I got a Clare 2-piece from Shanna Quay ages ago, and I prefer it to the Doolin! The only problem I have is that fingering Cnat OXX OOO doesn't give a very good Cnat, but I adjust breath top taste and it's acceptable. Maybe My ears just don't have very good pitch, so being a bit out doesn't bother me.

The Doolins I got all have a slight wobble in the joint, whereas the Clare is always rock solid. I also carry one in my mountain bike bag, so the occasional toot on my
travels.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing